(02-26-2004) UK's Blair launches commission for Africa - Reuters *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina O'Numb

War Child
UK's Blair launches commission for Africa.
Thursday February 26, 02:24 PM.

LONDON, Feb 26 (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Tony Blair announced on Thursday he was setting up an international commission to propose solutions to Africa's problems.

The move comes roughly three years after Blair sought to draw attention to the continent's problems by describing Africa as the "scar on the conscience of the world".

He told reporters Africa was the only continent to have grown poorer in the last 25 years, that its share of world trade had halved in a generation and that millions of people were dying of famine or disease there.

"In the context of our G8 presidency in 2005, I've decided with others to form a commission for Africa to take a fresh look at Africa's past present and future," Blair said.

The United Nations set goals in 2000 to reduce global poverty by 2015 by halving the number of people who earn less than one dollar a day and have no access to clean water but campaigners for Africa say little progress has been made so far, especially given the breakdown of world trade talks last year.

Blair said the commission, made up of politicians and opinion-formers from developed countries and Africa would deliver a comprehensive review of the continent by spring 2005.

He said Africa would be a priority for both the UK and U.S. presidencies of the G8 bloc of world industrial powers. Britain takes over the presidency next year and will be followed by the United States.

The commission will look at economic issues as well as health, conflict resolution, the environment, HIV and AIDS.

"I think it is right to continue to treat this as an absolute priority in coming years... I appreciate that the (UN) development goals for 2015 will be difficult to reach but I think it is essential that we try," said Blair.

Pressure groups welcomed the announcement.

"This is a bold and exciting move from the Prime Minister and puts Africa at the top of the international agenda where it desperately needs to be," said DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa).

"If it achieves what it sets out to, this international Commission could marry effective policy with the political will to make it happen," it added.

The organisation, co-founded by U2 lead singer Bono, campaigns on debt cancellation, trade reform and increased resources to fight AIDS and poverty in Africa.

Africa campaigner Bob Geldof said he was fairly optimistic about the commission.

"This is the first time a report will have political clout," he said.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/040226/80/en1i0.html

Back
Top Bottom