(01-23-2005) 'VERTIGO//2005' WORLD TOUR - EXCLUSIVE! - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Couple points:

1. I used to work for Ticketmaster and know for a fact that tours of the mammoth size (they get no bigger) of U2, they (Ticketmaster) will only receive 10-15% of the tickets for each city to sell on the day of the onsale. This leads to very quick sell outs. (LA 1 third leg Elevation sold out its ticketmaster allocation in seconds) Many tickets are held by promoters to give to radio stations, labels, VIP's, TICKET BROKERS, yes its true...and the such. It is not Ticketmasters fault that things are sold out so fast. It is the demand, and the fact that they are not the only show in town.

2. What is this reaction about? I understand that people are disappointed to not get shows on the first leg, but anyone who has been following this development shouldn't be surprised. The rumors have been pointing to this for weeks. I am sure they will hit Canada, Texas, Southeast on the third leg. And right now there are so many holes in the schedule who knows what could happen. 6 open days between Denver and Phoenix. They never play consecutive nights in those cities. I live in a state they have NEVER played and the nearest city is 6 hours. I just find it strange that people still find a way to bitch. First it was the album was taking too long (when in fact in the 3.4 years since they last toured they put out 2 albums one was a double set, 3 DVD's, several singles, a Digital Box Set, and an Ipod for Christs sake.) now its they aren't playing in my city! Hell they are the biggest damn band in the world and everyone everywhere on every continent (save Antartica..and hell there are probably some scientists there that are pissed because their propaganda code won't work) wants to see them. They could play ever single venue in North America and sell out. Someone is not going to get a show in their living room. Travel, its WAY more fun anyway. I met my wife at show I traveled to. See U2, get married.

3. Bitch on, more tickets for the rest of us. :wink:

Last edited:
Are people not getting the point of this?

I am not mad at U2 for not playing Toronto on this first leg.

I CAN WAIT. Infact, I will wait and likely see as man shows as they play. THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

THE PROBLEM IS that those of us who bought U2.com memberships for the pre-sale benefit MAY only get to use them for shows on this first leg. As we do not live any where near these venues, it seems pointless to use our codes. If we can use these existing codes or if U2.com issue us other pre-sale codes to buy tickets for the third leg, WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY ANOTHER U2.com membership, there is no problem in my mind.

THIS HAS TO BE CONFIRMED WITH FAN FARE, and until it is this is all speculation.

It really is amazing how the people who have the ability to put their current pre-sale code to good use, cannot see the dilema this format has created for others. Without the proper information, this could be a $40.00 throw away.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I would hope that I might be a bit more empathetic.

Last edited:
Tickets for Vienna on the 2nd of July will go onsale on Feb. 5th, 9 A.M. (GMT +1) and start at 58 Euro per ticket. The venue will be the Ernst Happel Stadion.

I happen to live between 6 and 7 hours from the nearest show. Empathy is found here, but U2.com did not make any promises prior to the annoucement about any dates in any cities. It was speculation that it would work out. A $40 gamble. It paid off for some, and in my prediction will pay off for you. The odds of them not allowing you to use the code for the third leg are slim. In my estimation, they will probably give you a second code.

My post was more in reaction to fans that are complaining for example that they are not playing Albany. Not to mention that they ARE playing Boston, NYC, East Rutherford, and Philly. All an easy drive.

Having a hard time seeing the problem. Very worst case, you're out $40.00. Not a bad gamble if U2 plays Toronto, where they most likely will for the better part of a week.

Last edited:
scarboroughjoe said:
You guys are doing a lot of complaining without even knowing the facts for sure... maybe they will come out with a new password for the 3rd leg. Why wouldn't they?

This is why people are upset. U2.com has their $40, and no answer to this question. And all the people who are happy, and feel safe in the knowledge they live right next to a show, have fun getting tickets. Less shows means more competition. You might not get seats either.

cmb737 said:

Having a hard time seeing the problem. Very worst case, you're out $40.00. Not a bad gamble if U2 plays Toronto, where they most likely will for the better part of a week.

I understand the point you are making, however, it isn't that cut and dry.

It is BECAUSE U2 will surely play Toronto that I used the $40.00 USD to buy the U2.com membership. If I lived miles away from ANY major centre, I would NOT have gambled and bought a membership. Why? Unless I could be sure that they were playing near by, I wouldn't take the chance and loose the $40.00 USD. I've never been able to see a U2 show from a good seat. Mostly I have had to buy nose bleed seats from scalpers or freeze my ass off waiting in line at a local TicketMaster. This seemed like a much more secure option.

U2 WILL play Toronto, no question. I am simply anxious to know if my U2.com membership will provide me with a pre-sale code for tickets offered when U2 play Toronto on the third leg. THAT IS IT.

The reason I took out the membership was because it shouldn't have been a gamble.

When the rules change or there is no mechanisim to handle situations like this, the system looses credability.

I hope you are right, and that U2.com wil provide me with another pre-sale code for the fall dates, without making me pay another $40.00 for another membership.

FROM FANFIRE

1. U2 will return to North America

2. If you do not use your presale code now, you will be able to use it on the third leg.

3. You will only get one code.

Thats what I was told.

*shrug*

Advance warning... this is the great grandmother of all rants.
:angry: :rant: :scream: :madspit:

edgeboy said:
...That's it? So basically there only going to california and new york. What the hell.

sami0201 said:
:| *agrees* im so upset right now....i can only make it to one show:sad:

What is all this whinging for? Considering all the crap that was going around a few weeks ago - about the tour being postponed indefinitely/cancelled/moved to Mars - I'm just glad we've GOT a tour. I don't give a flying rat's arse whether it's called Vertigo, Bingo or Congo. I'll only be able to see one show... and so I'll consider myself bloody lucky for getting to go to one at all.

:madspit: to moaning about it, and while we're at it, :mad: as well.

mkdominatr said:

YES WHERE IS IT?????

CLICK ON THE LINK AT THE END OF THE ORIGINAL POST! It's there for you, large as life in bright blue letters!

Thankyou and goodnight. :shrug:

PS. Thanks for the link Lucy3011

:wave:

Last edited:
I'm sure that when the band first planned the tour and the presale code situation, they had no idea that someone would get very ill, forcing a major rescheduling. I'm also sure that if the band could suddenly make the sick well, thereby expanding the tour schedule, and making the presale codes more valuable, they would. Because making the sick well would not only make the tour more like originally planned, IT WOULD MAKE THE SICK WELL, YOU GITS!!

Get some freaking perspective here. :rolleyes: No one intended to "rip you off." People got sick. Deal with it.

Shono said:

2) I am Canadian - so FUCK OFF.

Hahaha! That is the best response ever to such a comment. Excellent!:lol: :laugh: However:

Shono said:
Are people not getting the point of this?

...As we do not live any where near these venues, it seems pointless to use our codes. If we can use these existing codes or if U2.com issue us other pre-sale codes to buy tickets for the third leg, WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY ANOTHER U2.com membership, there is no problem in my mind....

If the shoe was on the other foot, I would hope that I might be a bit more empathetic.

Er... I live 5 hours from the nearest venue, and I don't drive. It won't stop me finding a way to get there.

Last edited:
Considering what the "2 legs no matter what" Americans are doing, I'm surprised people from South America or Asia and eastern Europe (and countless places U2 has not and likely will not play a single show. ever.) aren't burning down U2's management as we speak.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Considering what the "2 legs no matter what" Americans are doing, I'm surprised people from South America or Asia and eastern Europe (and countless places U2 has not and likely will not play a single show. ever.) aren't burning down U2's management as we speak.

They would be discussing it if America was getting "more" of the shaft. I know a lot of this could be tacked to the disappointment of not getting a first leg tour show, or the limitation of the presale code, but really tickets will be out there. If you can't or don't want to use your presale code there will be opportunities to get your tickets. Why is everyone just assuming that if they can't do the presale they won't get tickets?

That's becuase we've been spoiled here in the states while places like So. Am and East Euro have long been in the lurch.

Can't you hear all the spoiled brats complaining that they'll "only make it to ONE SHOW"

lol.

Some fans would love to make it to ANY.

:madspit:

Re: FROM FANFIRE

gabrielvox said:
1. U2 will return to North America

2. If you do not use your presale code now, you will be able to use it on the third leg.

3. You will only get one code.

Thats what I was told.

*shrug*

I was told in emails by u2.com that the presale code was good only for the first and second leg of the tour.

I have put copies of my emails in the Tour forums news / rumors.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

If you can't or don't want to use your presale code there will be opportunities to get your tickets. Why is everyone just assuming that if they can't do the presale they won't get tickets?

I DO want to use my pre-sale code, I just don't know where I can or when. In retrospect, would you still pay $40.00 if you only had one code/one chance for a list of venues you couldn't get to? If I knew then, what I think I know now, I would not have bought a U2.com membership and put that $40.00 USD toward buying tickets during the sale to the general public, or worse to a scalper.

The only reason I am not completely upset, is that it is now appearing that Fan Fare are telling any one who inquires that each U2.com member is given ONE code to be used ONCE. There are more and more people posting that this is the info Fan Fare have been providing them over the phone and email. As I understand it, those members who use the code for tickets on this first leg, will not get another code for the third leg in the fall.

Who really knows though?

Why can't Fan Fare make and official announcement on U2.com to clear this up? If this is left up to individuals to interpret, we'll never know the answer.

jedi Larry said:

complaining that they'll "only make it to ONE SHOW"

lol.

Some fans would love to make it to ANY.

:madspit:

Precisely. I fins a large portion of all this whinging just ridiculous.:(

sallycinnamon78 said:

Er... I live 5 hours from the nearest venue, and I don't drive. It won't stop me finding a way to get there.

I live less than an hour from the front gate of the venue in Toronto. Why would I drive 5 hours when I can wait 6 months and see U2 then.

This isn't about U2 not playing Toronto on the first leg. It's about trying to establish what Fan Fare plan to do with the thousands of people in North America who have a pre-sale code but don't know when it can be used and where.

If FanFare issued us the codes, it would seem logical that they be the ones to clarify this situation. They sell the memberships that are required to obtain a code, so if they don't have direct control over this, they certainly have a large say in the matter.

My guess is that Fan Fare generate the codes based on number of paid members. Then they submit the list of codes and coresponding members to TicketMaster so the ticketing system recognizes each code/individual and allows them to purchase the allowed tickets.

My guess is that TicketMaster are in charge of the sales, and Fan Fare are in charge of the rest.

I e-mailed U2.com to ask about this, and all they did was send me the FAQs...which I had already read to make sure that it didn't say anything about this before I sent an e-mail.

I must say, I'm less than thrilled with U2.com right now--today's e-mail was the FOURTH I have sent them (I sent two concerning log-on problems...I still cannot log on from home and don't know what that might be all about...and the other was about the card, etc. we were *supposed* to get inthe mail [that I had assumed would have our pre-sale # on it]) and in the first three cases, all I got was the e-mail saying "We'll get back to you."

No one got back to me...and now I get an e-mail with the FAQs cut & pasted in it.

While there are a few people here who sound a bit whiny and bratty, I can't blame people for being frustrated. We all know that TIME is of the essence with concert tix...and to have all of these expectations built up, and then dashed with a 13-city leg and NO EXPLANATION of how to use that $40 code for the thrid leg forthcoming from FanFare or U2.com or whoever is the boss of all this is annoying.

Let's just think happy thoughts, shall we? :eyebrow:

Like many other someones here said, at least they come here!

i sent them an email at the begining of january and i still havenlt heard back yet. don't suppose i ever will.

:scratch:

I predict many, many people will happily be scalping away on Ebay.

If you are so worried about your $40, I suggest you try and pick up tickets for either opening night, Boston, Chicago or NYC first night and I can guarantee you that you will more than make up your $40 on Ebay. In fact, you'll probably make enough to break even and by several more memberships.

And this is why, IMO, their system is completely idiotic.

Shono said:

I live less than an hour from the front gate of the venue in Toronto. Why would I drive 5 hours when I can wait 6 months and see U2 then.

This isn't about U2 not playing Toronto on the first leg. It's about trying to establish what Fan Fare plan to do with the thousands of people in North America who have a pre-sale code but don't know when it can be used and where.

Shono, I agree with you wholeheartedly, as I'm pretty much in the same boat. I paid the $40, I have a code, but I live 5+ hours from the nearest venue. All I want to know is... *should* I wait until the third leg (to see if they come to a closer venue), *would* I use my current presale code THEN? If Fanfire/U2.com would come out and simply answer that question, I would know whether to shoot for the 5+ hour venue or if I should wait.

That's it, really. I don't see how wanting to know this information is seen as "complaining." In my case, I can only afford one show, and it would be my first U2 show at that. So it's not like I'm upset about not being able to make 2 or 3 or four venues when some people can't even make it to one. :-/

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109985&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

nerfherder, you may want to hold on to your code and wait for the 3rd leg pre-sale, if you don't want to travel.

In the linked thread a fan was told that if by small chance there was not a 3rd leg and you had not used your code you could get a refund for the membership price.

Or you could always sell your code to someone for 40.00 and then take your chances on the general public sale if there is a 3rd leg of the tour.

About the 3rd leg, I guess I can only hope (and pray, and wish and long...) that they will hit Edmonton 'cos due to many factors, it would be near impossible for me to see them anywhere else! In the meantime I can try and enter any contests or whatever, but I'm worrying that I might not even see them! I missed the Elevation tour and I reaaaalllly don't want to miss this one! I don't have a car or money to fly/travel anywhere so it really is up in the air for me!

Like everybody and their mothers I will be trying to get tickets for Anaheim and Staples. As long as I see them at least once I'm happy. No complaints from me (except of course if I have to pay scalpers that is!):mad: :wink:

EPandAmerica said:
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109985&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

nerfherder, you may want to hold on to your code and wait for the 3rd leg pre-sale, if you don't want to travel.

In the linked thread a fan was told that if by small chance there was not a 3rd leg and you had not used your code you could get a refund for the membership price.

Or you could always sell your code to someone for 40.00 and then take your chances on the general public sale if there is a 3rd leg of the tour.

Thanks for the link (and the info). It's hard keeping up with all the threads. I'm going to save my code and risk a wait for a third leg. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom