(01-22-2004) Exclusive: More U2 Album News -- Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim said:
I've decided that I'm happy to wait until September or whenever..

I've just watched a programme about Bjork and her music and is clearly so central to everything she does...watching her talk about her life and her music is (for me) breathtaking.

It reminded me of when a mate and I were lucky enough to spend some time with Bono at The Factory in March 1993, where U2 were recording Zooropa. The one thing that sticks in my mind was that when he talked about the music that they were making, his eyes lit up and his body language changed. His energy and passion was electric.

This time around I, like lots of us have been frustrated in anticipation for the new record. I'm sure that the reality is that they are lost in the passion of the songs that they are creating. I bet (and hope) that the last thing on their minds are deadlines that they never set and fans getting sweaty about a official announcments and rumours (that includes me!). In my job I get deadlines all the time and when I dream about the band that I never got around to setting up one of the best things is that I would be able to do what I want when I want - me and my band would set the rules?no enforced deadlines thank you very much.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that the U2 camp is probably in a very happy, creative and ambitious place at the moment so let's leave them to it. If there were any major problems then there might be no album in the making and there would possibly be no U2 so lets not get too upset and instead send all our positive energies to a baron studio in the cold and wet back streets of the Dublin Quays :)

OK I'd better get back to my little Bjork love cloud!

Well said. :).

Angela

Re: Exclusive: More U2 Album News -- Interference.com *

THIS IS NOT A JOKE. I TAKE THIS VERY SERIOUSLY.

I live in Fort Lauderdale, and I was having dinner with the PR for American Airlines arena guy in Miami. I asked him if any good concerts are coming to to town, and his reply was "Brintney Spears is coming to town." I said, "nah, not my thing." His answer was "well, who do you like?" I said "U2 is my favorite". He said, "Funny you should say that, I was just on a conference call with their tour organizer, and they are penciling in a tour for Summer." I almost crapped. He was serious, and I asked him a million times to stop joking, and I trust him."

Take it for what its worth. I'm not saying anything, but I believe him and I believe we are in for a treat real soon!

Peace.

dsmith2904 said:
Exclusive: More U2 Album News

Interference.com has received word from a reliable source that that the next U2 album is nowhere near completion and has a tentative release of September 2004. A very massive tour is tentatively planned to start in February 2005.

We have also heard from a source with Universal France that that label has not gotten any official word on the title or release date of U2's next album.

measuring time between release of albums isn't totaly fair... the better way to measure length is to take the time between the end of the previous tour and the release of the album. this sheds more light on the exact wait for new material

end zoomerang until release of pop- 39 months
end popmart until release of atyclb- 29 months
end elevation until september '04- 34 months

I'm trying not to believe every rumor that comes out, but for this one at least there's a tentative date. That's better than a random season!

And tentative could always mean getting pushed up. :sexywink:

Well, maybe edge broke one of his cute little fingers and isnt able to play right now. Anybody have that idea? HE could have been playing with Levi and.... Or maybe he was doing some naughty stuff with Morleigh and well, oops. Hehe, never know. Or maybe....
Nah i wont go there.:yes: yep, that could be it.
Well, personally i hope nothin happend to that hottie:edge:
Hehe.
ME!

i have this gut feeling this is all to avoid the media hype so they can sneak the album up on us...im praying for May

I'm still taking everything I hear about the new album with a grain of salt but at least September sounds better than winter. The way I am looking at it is not to expect anything until then so if it is sooner that makes it that much sweeter. Like others have mentioned that means more time to save money and accumulate time off!

Tentatively September.....meaning it could tentatively be pushed back again. I give up. To hell with this.

C'est la vie.....

more time to save up for tix...

I have more respect for them holding something back that they're not happy with.....

most people who draw or paint or play music know this feeling, you're working on something so hard, and then you step away from it for a little bit and when you come back it all looks totally different, sometimes you can see what you need to change and do it, and sometimes you need to shitcan the lot and start over. Frustrating, but, eh. It happens.

*wanders off singing under my breath "and you leave me hangin' on....."*

Headache in a Suitcase,

"measuring time between release of albums isn't totaly fair... the better way to measure length is to take the time between the end of the previous tour and the release of the album. this sheds more light on the exact wait for new material"

"end zoomerang until release of pop- 39 months
end elevation until september '04- 34 months"

I disagree with this on two levels. First, the band has time starting from the release of the album all they through the release of the next album to write and record material. Touring is not an excuse. U2's early history testify's to this fact.

As a fan who buys the album the first day it comes out and listens to it as much as possible, the "wait" starts with the release of each new album.

Dear Santa:

I know it is early but I am going to be a really good girl this year. For Christmas I would like the new U2 album and concert tickets.

Guinness and cookies will be waiting for you.

Have a great year

fah

the latest edition of Q magazine- usually in the know,a supporter of U2 and often with interviews well before release dates- states a Spring release.

Mike

Thats good enough for me

DrMusk said:
well i'd rather wait and get a great album then not wait and get a lesser quality album

I agree.

I am happy to hear that the tour is postponed, for personal reasons. Im completely broke right now so that means I have more time to save money for tix.

Audio Spotlight

Do you remember reading about the new technology Edge and Bono are working on with a new company? The jist of that is they could move the sound around an arena or stadium. Kind of like an "audio spotlight". Edge's guitar could soar over your head. Well, the article I also read said that the technology was so new that it had a while to be developed. IF and I mean IF this rumor of a pushback for release is true, maybe that new devise is not ready to work yet and they are waiting for it to be ready. I mean, if they are basing a whole show around this new feature they very well could be waiting for that to be completed. My guess, for what it's worth is that the album IS done and they are just waiting for the technogy to be completed so they can start their "massive tour".

Re: Audio Spotlight

bearded morrison said:
Do you remember reading about the new technology Edge and Bono are working on with a new company? The jist of that is they could move the sound around an arena or stadium. Kind of like an "audio spotlight". Edge's guitar could soar over your head. Well, the article I also read said that the technology was so new that it had a while to be developed. IF and I mean IF this rumor of a pushback for release is true, maybe that new devise is not ready to work yet and they are waiting for it to be ready. I mean, if they are basing a whole show around this new feature they very well could be waiting for that to be completed. My guess, for what it's worth is that the album IS done and they are just waiting for the technogy to be completed so they can start their "massive tour".

I think this could be a factor but I dont think it is the main reason. They never said they were going to use this technology. Only that they were checking it out to possibly incorporate into their show for the next tour. U2 had alot of big technological plans they talked about prior to Popmart and those didnt transpire, they didnt postpone the tour as a result.

My "guess" is problems with the new producer that came in last year. Probebly took the album in a direction they are not happy with so they are re-tooling currently. Hopefully they will bring in Lanois and/or Eno. They seem to do their best work when they are involved.

Last edited:
In a way i hope producer problems are not what happened. If they go back to eno/lanois then they are not going to get the "rock" sound they have been talking about. Eno/lanois will eventually mellow the album out. Chris Thomas has produced some great stuff but maybe he didn't work out with them as well as they had hoped. Lanois listened to the album back in November but i never heard anything about what he thought. But if he didn't like it maybe that's what's happening. they are going back to the drawing board perhaps???
Just a side note: While at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last summer i was reading one of the early news letters Adam had written after Boy was released and he mentions the next producer they are going to use: Chris Thomas.

STING2 said:
Headache in a Suitcase,

"measuring time between release of albums isn't totaly fair... the better way to measure length is to take the time between the end of the previous tour and the release of the album. this sheds more light on the exact wait for new material"

"end zoomerang until release of pop- 39 months
end elevation until september '04- 34 months"

I disagree with this on two levels. First, the band has time starting from the release of the album all they through the release of the next album to write and record material. Touring is not an excuse. U2's early history testify's to this fact.

As a fan who buys the album the first day it comes out and listens to it as much as possible, the "wait" starts with the release of each new album.

The members of U2 didn't have families in their "early history." Plus it's a bit easier to do a show, take care of all the publicity, go out partyin' and come home and write a song when you're 20 as opposed to when you're 40.

U2's early history they had to produce albums more quickly. They did not have the luxury of dictating when they wanted to record or taking their time to get something out. Obviously they do now. Also as mentioned, they have families and Bono has his other projects. So there are alot of reasons it takes longer for an album now than it did in 1981. I think its like comparing apples to oranges really. Completely different circumstances back then.

Last edited:
New Album....HMMMMM

Friends!

Listen up! Some of you were conceived during the recording of 'One.' So, let us give you some history from someone who is a first generation fan.

#1 The longest period or drought between studio albums was between The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Rattle and Hum does not count. It was not a full length studio album but counts toward their contract. Zooropa does not count either. Zooropa was supposed to be an EP. Passengers fulfilled a contract.

#2 The NBC Today showed interviewed the editor of Tracks magazine on 12/30/03. He said there were three major upcoming releases Norah Jones, U2 and Janet Jackson. In that order.

#3 Please look through U2's tour history and tell me how many of the last 4 tours have started in the spring? All of them.

My theory is, and you do not have to agree, that someone has leaked something from the front office and they are trying to play shut up. Tracks from Achtung Baby and ATYCLB were leaked before they hit the shelves. Bands don't like that to happen. Someone on Interference in 2000 sent a note that he got the ATYCLB cd two weeks before the release and tempted us with the songs.

My take is that there is an album due in the coming months. I think sooner than later. The only reason it would be delayed is label greed. U2 is a hot selling item and the label wants a good fourth quarter. Hence a winter release like ATYCLB and Achtung Baby.

So enjoy, be strong, have patience my friends.

Max

Re: New Album....HMMMMM

Maxwellhouse said:
Friends!

#2 The NBC Today showed interviewed the editor of Tracks magazine on 12/30/03. He said there were three major upcoming releases Norah Jones, U2 and Janet Jackson. In that order.

#3 Please look through U2's tour history and tell me how many of the last 4 tours have started in the spring? All of them.

My theory is, and you do not have to agree, that someone has leaked something from the front office and they are trying to play shut up. Tracks from Achtung Baby and ATYCLB were leaked before they hit the shelves. Bands don't like that to happen. Someone on Interference in 2000 sent a note that he got the ATYCLB cd two weeks before the release and tempted us with the songs.

My take is that there is an album due in the coming months. I think sooner than later. The only reason it would be delayed is label greed. U2 is a hot selling item and the label wants a good fourth quarter. Hence a winter release like ATYCLB and Achtung Baby.

So enjoy, be strong, have patience my friends.

Max

Welcome to the board, however I do disagree. This is coming from someone who has been a fan since 83. If U2 was touring this spring the single would have at least been announced by this time. You point to U2 history. Here is some more history. Song titles rumors and hype of preceeded every single U2 album since The Joshua Tree and that hype starts at least 7 to 8 months prior to the album itself sometimes earlier than that. Based on this information I can almost guarantee you that you are not going to see U2 on tour THIS spring. At the earliest this fall, but it sounds like Spring 2005 so you are at least partially correct, just the wrong year. I wouldnt put huge stock in the editor from tracks magazine. They could just be repeating the same rumors we have heard. Anyway, a U2 album is due this year, just later than alot of people were thinking.

I do agree that there is nothing to worry about. There could be many factors working here as to why the album has been delayed. We know an album and tour are coming, we just may have to wait a little longer for it. Its really not a big deal. As everyone is pointing out, more time to save up money and vacation time. Works for me! The last thing I would want U2 to do is rush it. Look at what happened with the Pop album and the beginning of the Popmart tour. If this rumor is correct we will be getting geared up for the tour a year from now. It will be here before you know it. Its not like U2 have announced they are breaking up or are not sure they are going to release an album. Now THAT would be a time to be upset.

wouldn't all this talk about new albums and tours and when they're going to be released be considered "hype?"

So then, wouldn't the "hype" over the new u2 album and tour already have begun?

The problem isn't that there isn't any "hype." There's TONS of "hype." The problem is there is too much "hype" and not enough "official news."

Headache in a Suitcase said:
wouldn't all this talk about new albums and tours and when they're going to be released be considered "hype?"

So then, wouldn't the "hype" over the new u2 album and tour already have begun?

The problem isn't that there isn't any "hype." There's TONS of "hype." The problem is there is too much "hype" and not enough "official news."

Yes, but its not the type of hype that U2 would want to precede their album and it is not the type of hype that has preceeded their past albums if we are indeed looking back at past trends and history as alot of people are doing here. They want people to get fired up and excited, not disappointed. Also they only people that this is a big deal for are those of us here. The diehards. The average casual fan could probebly care less and probebly doesnt even know about the possible delays. I agree though with your last part, too much hype and its primarily negative and there is not enough official news. In fact, there really isnt any official news other than there wont be any official news for awhile.

I typically dont believe the "I have a source" info when they are not named and it is coming off the net. But in this circumstance it makes sense. Before this was even reported I was thinking that its very odd that there is no news of the album and that there would be more official word and confirmation about things if it was close. So this "news" makes sense based on the information that is out there. Of course U2 could blow all of it out of the water and announce the album tomorrow. But that seems very unlikely.

Last edited:
I don't belive any of this stuff. I learned long ago not to put any stock into such things. Either way September isn't that far off really. It'll be interesting to see if U2 put out another album before Axl.

This is very frustrating, patience is a hard virtue to possess. It makes it harder when you hear all these quotes about it and how good it is going to be, and to make it worse Bono has been saying it is going to come out soon. I would have loved a spring release with a summer tour but you can't always get what you ask for. So like everyone else, I'll just keep checking interference.com everyday waiting to see another exclusive about the new album....dammmnn.

You know, I'm all for the altruistic pursuits that Bono has ventured on--Lord knows we need it. But is this not the most time we've had to endure between albums? So Bono, sit down and finish the lyrics my man! Will not a finished album make almost as many people happy as you fighting the good fight for third world debt relief (slightly kidding)?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom