Streets.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is absolutely dreadful. The worst Streets segue ever. By anyone. When the organ starts, the chords don´t match with that dull snippet at all. It´s a dreadful mishmash. Did they lost all their common sense? That´s what happens when Bono wants to put in his campaigning at all costs. There is no excuse for that.

I mean you're acting like they destroyed the song.

The segue would be better if it was just straight from whatever song was being played previously, sans Bono talking.

I'm curious to see
if and when they do Fields of Gold into Streets. I sort of visioned the stage lit up in all yellow during Fields of Gold, then turning into red when the organ starts. Would be pretty cool. U2 should hire me.

I was thinking we might get a Shut Up And Dance segue into Streets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Chrisedge implied, Fields Of Gold was NOT in fact practiced. U2FP confirmed to me that what he heard as Fields Of Gold was actually Mother And Child Reunion.

I always thought it'd be great following Moment of Surrender, so to close every set w/ that song during 360 was peculiar, IMO.

Totally agree, MOS-Streets would've been great. It could've possibly made the encores a bit more adventurous as well. Worst encore section they've ever done; it was so predictable every single night.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Most of their encores have been fixed for a while, no? They rotate in the odd song but I feel like leg-by-leg they were pretty fixed on Vertigo as well.

I don't know this Fields of Gold song so every time I saw it I imagined Heart of Gold (which I love) and Bono trying to snippet that or Old Man before Streets.

Yeah, they're typically pretty fixed. But there was practically no deviation from the standard encore set on 360. At least Popmart's double encore was awesome and rocking. Heck, Walk On was awesome on Elevation Tour and at least made for an exciting encore. Mid tempo song, then a butchered classic that became a sing along while Bono mumbled and took a nap. Then close it out with an 8 minute ballad not called Bad and that's pretty much garbage.

I think they think Mother And Child Reunion is the build-up.

No, guys, it's the snippet that's meant to link Bad/COBL/WOWY/what-the-fuck-ever to Streets seamlessly.

My stream cut out today right at the end of Bad and when it did I thought it sounded like they were going straight into Streets and I was like yep, this is how you do it.

I absolutely agree with Axver here, Streets is the redemption song, it's one of the single best redemption songs of all time. they are currently playing it almost as a celebration song, which is a very different thing. it still sounds great but there are tours where it was probably the best single song to listen to from any band live. Please and All I Want is You with that desperate coda of Bono just belting out the chorus were absolutely spine-tingling intros when you heard Streets start up. I've always thought One Step Closer or Song for Someone would make a great 1-2 minute segue from Please/MOS/AIWIY/Bad

I sort of get what they're going for with Mother and Child Reunion, but it's just a little off. When the synth comes in halfway through the song, it's jarring, and it's jarring for a reason.

Like Chrisedge implied, Fields Of Gold was NOT in fact practiced. U2FP confirmed to me that what he heard as Fields Of Gold was actually Mother And Child Reunion.

That's too bad...

Fields of Gold would've been spectacular.

What a beautiful song, and it would have fit much, much better,

Streets is Streets, never a bad performance of it, just ones where it's not used to its full potential.

Which is a shame.

If they can't be bothered to get a good segue, then why not have it open the encore instead of BD?

Red screen, long intro, house light explosion.

I haven't listened to tour audio but I'm not convinced on the current lead in. They need to go back to Bad - 40 - Streets that was on the Elevation DVD... That is my favorite 15 minutes of U2 in my library.

Yeah, they're typically pretty fixed. But there was practically no deviation from the standard encore set on 360. At least Popmart's double encore was awesome and rocking. Heck, Walk On was awesome on Elevation Tour and at least made for an exciting encore. Mid tempo song, then a butchered classic that became a sing along while Bono mumbled and took a nap. Then close it out with an 8 minute ballad not called Bad and that's pretty much garbage.

so true.

I haven't listened to tour audio but I'm not convinced on the current lead in. They need to go back to Bad - 40 - Streets that was on the Elevation DVD... That is my favorite 15 minutes of U2 in my library.

In my mind this is how the very last show they'll ever play will close.

I loved the show last night but streets for the first time in 30 shows was not the highlight for me. Worst transition I have seen in person (yes I saw vertigo), there was no build up. It's not awful, I still enjoy the song but first time I ever left thinking they could drop the song.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using U2 Interference mobile app

I loved the show last night but streets for the first time in 30 shows was not the highlight for me. Worst transition I have seen in person (yes I saw vertigo), there was no build up. It's not awful, I still enjoy the song but first time I ever left thinking they could drop the song.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using U2 Interference mobile app

I felt the same way after seeing the two SJ shows. I always felt that Streets was a transcendent event, not just another song. Like Mysterious Ways losing the slide guitar at the end, it's neutered and doesn't have the same emotion.

The magic of the great versions of Streets was that although they were all slightly different, they all had the right elements in the right order. It's like baking a cake. You whisk two eggs, slowly pour your milk in while you continue to stir. Then you add a little flour and some sugar and continue to stir until no longer lumpy. You preheat the oven to 350 while you grease the pan and pour the batter. In the oven it goes and the flood lights burst on and the crowd goes fucking nuts.

Nobody has mentioned Bono changing the lyrics for Streets this tour. This is very frustrating. Video wise, the way the screen only lights up the sides of the arena is nothing like the old days where they turned on all the house lights.

Mother and Child Reunion works well, they will stick with it, after all they have an entire video segment produced just for it. So they won't scrap it.

Go back and listen to early Popmart shows. The Please segue did not exactly work in the beginning, it took a while for that to take hold like it eventually did.

What about the Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow segue. I thought that worked very well at the end of the 360 tour.

We had all this with streets during vertigo to be fair, that was awful beyond words

No red light, Africa flags, forced intro from pride and Africa speech

I maintain there would be nothing wrong with this tour's Streets if they simply went seamlessly from COBL/Bad/whatever into the Mother and Child Reunion snippet, instead of stopping dead. The snippet's fine, it can stay. Just go into it without stopping, guys! The speech ruins all the momentum.

The magic of the great versions of Streets was that although they were all slightly different, they all had the right elements in the right order. It's like baking a cake. You whisk two eggs, slowly pour your milk in while you continue to stir. Then you add a little flour and some sugar and continue to stir until no longer lumpy. You preheat the oven to 350 while you grease the pan and pour the batter. In the oven it goes and the flood lights burst on and the crowd goes fucking nuts.

Hahaha this is a great comparison.

The "An Ascent/Landing" Eno intro is gone for the most part and it's like they are playing the single edit, after the Paul Simon choon. Pity. I've seen a few bands do this, cutting songs to fit a 2hr set time, (sometimes butchering songs into ghastly medley edits) and it's always the most interesting and expressive parts too.

Back
Top Bottom