Is it just me or has the NLOTH album been pretty much entirely left out of this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would have expected them to continue their usual trend of emphasising the current and the second most recent album - the 360 tour contained a huge amount of NLOTH and HTDAAB, the Vertigo tour featured a ton of stuff both from HTDAAB and ATYCLB, etc.

No idea how you've got his impression. Zooropa pretty much got the cold shoulder on Popmart. Certainly not a ton of stuff from ATYCLB on the Vertigo tour or a huge amount of HTDAAB on the 360 tour.

Very little from Pop on Elevation. They usually ignore their previous record. They play new stuff, standards, and a few things that don't get played often.

Sent from my XT1034 using U2 Interference mobile app

Very little from Pop on Elevation.

Very little from Pop on Elevation? It was the equal 2nd-best represented album. ATYCLB got nine songs, then Achtung, JT, and Pop five each.

That said, the AB and JT representation was more sustained and consistent across the tour. Discotheque, Gone, and WUDM disappeared after the 2nd leg, Please was only played on the third leg, and SATS was sporadic across all three legs (making it the only Pop song you could've heard on all three legs).

They usually ignore their previous record.

Totally untrue. Prior the two most recent tours, the only previous album to get shafted was Zooropa.

IE: 1 NLOTH song, so far played once
360: 2 HTDAAB songs (both played at every show)
Vertigo: 6 ATYCLB songs (2 played at every show)
Elevation: 5 Pop songs
Popmart: 4 Achtung songs (all played at every show); 0 Zooropa songs
ZooTV: 5 Rattle and Hum songs (2 played at almost every show); plus also worth counting 5 Joshua Tree songs (3 every show, 4th - WOWY - almost every)
Lovetown: 8 JT songs (ISHFWILF played every show; Streets missed just one; all others missed at least 10 out of 47); for what it's worth, also 4 UF (Pride played every show)
JT Tour: 5 UF songs (Pride played every show; Bad missed just one)
UF Tour: 6 War (I think 4 played in every known complete setlist; only a few sets missing)
War Tour: 6 October (too many missing sets to calculate meaningful "every show" stats)
October Tour: 10 songs from Boy (too many missing sets to calculate meaningful "every show" stats)

So basically until 2009 you could make a very, very safe bet that at least 4 songs from the previous album would appear on the next tour. The only time you would not have cashed in on that bet is if you had only counted Zooropa for Popmart. Right through to (but excluding) the current tour, you could also fairly safely make a bet that whatever the overall representation of the previous album, it would get at least 2 songs as staples.

These patterns hold even when you account for Lovetown being a bit anomalous - e.g. UF is essentially still the "previous album" on Lovetown (which was promoting both JT and RAH), and JT likewise on ZooTV since Lovetown missed most territories.

It makes sense that Popmart didnt feature any Zooropa songs. the theme was totally different, and probably Zooropa was thematically too dark for POP. NLOTH, i dunno. I don't think U2 themselves don't like the album too much, though that album produced biggest tour.

Is it just me or has the NLOTH album been pretty much entirely left out of th...

Stay could've probably found a place on Popmart. I'm surprised it hasn't been played more. Bono loves it, but it's only been played on 3/6 tours since it's inception, and only sporadically at that.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Stay could've probably found a place on Popmart. I'm surprised it hasn't been played more. Bono loves it, but it's only been played on 3/6 tours since it's inception, and only sporadically at that.

Yeah, Stay could have easily gone in the acoustic set.

Lemon, live rather than taped mix, could have fit very comfortably too, and for a more leftfield inclusion The Wanderer would have complemented the general theme of the tour nicely.

It makes sense that Popmart didnt feature any Zooropa songs. the theme was totally different, and probably Zooropa was thematically too dark for POP. NLOTH, i dunno. I don't think U2 themselves don't like the album too much, though that album produced biggest tour.

It doesn't make any sense that Zooropa songs weren't included. Themes to U2 gigs last about a third or half of the show before the accoustic songs or greatest hits/standards come out. Lemon, Numb, Daddy's Gonna Pay..., proper electric Stay would've been great.

For me Popmart was a missed opportunity to break free from having the usual standard songs in their sets.

Edge's karaoke slot should have been used for Numb. It would have been fairly fresh in the public's memory and seemed to get a good reception on ZooTV.

Sent from my SM-G730V using U2 Interference mobile app

They did rehearse Stay in Vegas before the first Popmart gig. Like many things during that period, that didn't turn out right.

The question is, was Bono's voice better on POPMART of Elevation? I say better on POPMART, elevation he sounded hoarse and out of steam at pretty much every show

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

They did rehearse Stay in Vegas before the first Popmart gig. Like many things during that period, that didn't turn out right.

I sometimes wonder what if Vegas show were successful... if it were, probably lots more of POP songs will be played and probably U2 might have played POP songs in future tours, don't you guys think?

I sometimes wonder what if Vegas show were successful... if it were, probably lots more of POP songs will be played and probably U2 might have played POP songs in future tours, don't you guys think?

Maybe they bit off more than they could chew while making the Pop album. I remember hearing they struggled to finish it.

But for me Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop all make sense. If they were to do a gig playing songs from only those albums and The Unforgettable Fire I'd be there :up:

Very little from Pop on Elevation? It was the equal 2nd-best represented album. ATYCLB got nine songs, then Achtung, JT, and Pop five each.

That said, the AB and JT representation was more sustained and consistent across the tour. Discotheque, Gone, and WUDM disappeared after the 2nd leg, Please was only played on the third leg, and SATS was sporadic across all three legs (making it the only Pop song you could've heard on all three legs).

Totally untrue. Prior the two most recent tours, the only previous album to get shafted was Zooropa.

IE: 1 NLOTH song, so far played once
360: 2 HTDAAB songs (both played at every show)
Vertigo: 6 ATYCLB songs (2 played at every show)
Elevation: 5 Pop songs
Popmart: 4 Achtung songs (all played at every show); 0 Zooropa songs
ZooTV: 5 Rattle and Hum songs (2 played at almost every show); plus also worth counting 5 Joshua Tree songs (3 every show, 4th - WOWY - almost every)
Lovetown: 8 JT songs (ISHFWILF played every show; Streets missed just one; all others missed at least 10 out of 47); for what it's worth, also 4 UF (Pride played every show)
JT Tour: 5 UF songs (Pride played every show; Bad missed just one)
UF Tour: 6 War (I think 4 played in every known complete setlist; only a few sets missing)
War Tour: 6 October (too many missing sets to calculate meaningful "every show" stats)
October Tour: 10 songs from Boy (too many missing sets to calculate meaningful "every show" stats)

So basically until 2009 you could make a very, very safe bet that at least 4 songs from the previous album would appear on the next tour. The only time you would not have cashed in on that bet is if you had only counted Zooropa for Popmart. Right through to (but excluding) the current tour, you could also fairly safely make a bet that whatever the overall representation of the previous album, it would get at least 2 songs as staples.

These patterns hold even when you account for Lovetown being a bit anomalous - e.g. UF is essentially still the "previous album" on Lovetown (which was promoting both JT and RAH), and JT likewise on ZooTV since Lovetown missed most territories.

Sorry, I was referring to recent tours when U2 had a much larger back catelog than they did in the 80s and early 90s.

Pop was very poorly represented on Elevation, considering it was their second most recent material. Sure, five songs were played. But they were played infrequently.

Gone: 45 percent of shows, 21st most played song.
Please and Dead Man: 20 percent, 30th most played.
Discotheque: 16, 32
Staring at the Sun: 14 percent, 33rd most played.

Of the 10 JT and AB songs played, six are among the fifteen most played songs of the tour.

Albums that got the most plays on Elevation?

ATYCLB: 759
Achtung: 391
Joshua Tree: 343
War: 193
UF: 170
Pop: 131

Pop may have had five songs played, but as you pointed out they didn't last in the set, so weren't played many times. Pop was not well represented.

ATYCLB was well represented on Vertigo, mainly because Beautiful Day and Elevation are staples. They were played at every show. The other four songs they played appeared a total of 56 times at 133 shows. That's not a very good showing. People were more likely to hear 5 Achtung or JT songs on Vertigo than 3 ATYCLB songs.

ATYCLB songs were played a lot more on 360 than Vertigo. The only HTDAAB songs they played on 360 were the hits that U2 think they have to play. The rest of the album was ignored. Like pretty much every old band, they have material that they "have to play," and the current material gets slotted in around that, and then they add some old stuff. It makes sense that they don't play much of the stuff they were promoting last time around the world.

It could be argued that Pop was treated better on Elevation than HTAAB was on 360 though: three more songs were played, though none were played at even half the shows. Still, at least they played more than two songs from the album.

NLOTH is being treated unusually harshly though.

If U2 would have had the 3rd leg show/sound on opening night in Vegas the media/fans would have crowned Popmart the greatest live show ever.

Not saying the later Popmart shows were the greatest shows ever but they had gotten the Pop songs & show pretty close to perfecto.

Is it just me or has the NLOTH album been pretty much entirely left out of th...

No shit. It's not just the Mexico concert either. I just recently listened to the Tampa and Seattle shows, and they were definitely firing on all cylinders! Things definitely improved once they hit Europe. The Rotterdam shows are great.

Last edited:
The question is will Magnificent show up again?

They should want to blast the song that took them seven or eight years to finish into everyone's head every night. Those little tweaks they made push it into the upper tier of U2 songs.

But let's talk about NLOTH.
What NLOTH songs fit the ie Tour?

NLOTH - Maybe a nice encore opener or perfect for the e-stage,a ctually
Magnificent - already played, also nice encore opener
MOS - I saw the e-stage piano computer and it has that song, so they CAN play it. Maybe shorter?
UC - maybe not
Crazy Tonight - the album version not, but the remix can swap with the EBTTRT mix
GOYB - I think it can be a nice e-stage rocker
SUC - never been played, also a nice e-stage rocker
Fez-BB - Encore opener?
WAS - Maybe for the e-stage
Breathe - no chance :(
Cedars - I hate it, I hope it rots in hell :angry:

So we have e-stage or Encore.
The ie tour (for me) doesn't have more place for NLOTH, and at most they can be 2 songs.
Well, that would be better that what we have anyway.

NLOTH - good call on the e stage. it would be good there.

Magnificent should be played regularly on this part of the tour and in the encore when SOE comes out. It would be a great lead-in to Streets.

MOS will probably appear when SOE comes out.

Unknown Caller would be good between October and Bullet. Give Edge two big solos in a row, why not?

White As Snow and Cedars would both fit well before Bullet, but they'd have to drop EBW, otherwise it would be too much slowness in the middle of the show.

I can't see any others being played, nor do I think they should be. If they played SUC the entire crowd would go on a beer run and maybe not return.

Back
Top Bottom