June 25, 2010 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the folks in the facebook group must not have gotten around to signing the online petition yet. :huh:

Don't want U2 to play #glasto? Sign here!!! Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

I think I'd be upset if I wasn't so fucking angry about this plan. What a bunch of fucking losers, so hung up about some band they dislike, music is the universal language and there is something for everyone. Why would anyone spend so much time on something they dislike? If I dislike a band, I ignore them simple as that, I don't spend time on the internet concocting schemes to ruin everyone else's time.

Bravo. I don't understand it either. I don't remember ever focusing any of my time or energy on a band I don't happen to like.

A facebook group?? Really?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=183791214305

Richard Rosa: this is the most worthy cause i have seen all year.

His mother must be so proud.

Last edited:
The whole spirit of Glastonbury is that you go with an open-mind and you discover new things that you never liked or knew about before. That's why I am confident that this 'plan' will fall flat on its face. People have paid close to 200 quid, why would they spend time trying to ruin other people's enjoyment when they could just be enjoying themselves elsewhere? I mean, there's a quality dance tent that goes on all night, if one of the other headliners is something I'm not bothered about seeing (Muse for instance) I'll just go rave it up in there! Something for everyone. :up:

I agree that Mofo would be awesome at Glasto - I'm convinced that song will be the new Ultra Violet next year so I hope it will make an appearance... more of that and less Elevations please.

I think we should start an online petition to bring back Mofo, maybe a Facebook group too.

Or maybe spam the official u2 facebook page requesting Mofo be brought back. :hyper:

I think that the folks in the facebook group must not have gotten around to signing the online petition yet. :huh:

Don't want U2 to play #glasto? Sign here!!! Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

Bravo. I don't understand it either. I don't remember ever focusing any of my time or energy on a band I don't happen to like.

A facebook group?? Really?

Bono's a twat T-Shirts for Glasto 2010 | Facebook

His mother must be so proud.

Wow, this is absolutely ridiculous! Pettions and anti-Bono facebook pages...what a bunch of losers!! :madspit: Some people obviously have too much time on their hands!! :tsk:

The smugness of U2 fans meets the smugness of Glastonbury festival-goers - there's going to be tears!
There's enough douchebaggery to go around. faux hippies to duke it out with followers of the second coming. should be entertaining.

They should really play Mofo at Glastonbury. I think it could actually go over well there... and it's not like they need to "cater to casual fans", because the audience won't really be made up of U2 fans, casual or otherwise.

"The truth is U2 need Glastonbury more than it needs them; with low sales for their last album and no fresh ideas since 1988, this is really a last-ditch attempt to appear relevant."

I'm sorry... but... no fresh ideias since 1988? :scratch:
Am I missing something here?

The first part of the quote probably has some truth to it.

Keep in mind that Glastonbury sold out before U2 was announced as a headliner.

Glastonbury doesn't need to book U2 in order to sell tickets.

The first part of the quote probably has some truth to it.

Keep in mind that Glastonbury sold out before U2 was announced as a headliner.

Glastonbury doesn't need to book U2 in order to sell tickets.

And U2 isn't going to gross anywhere close to what they would have by doing other regular 360 shows instead of this festival, nevermind the hassle of flying back and forth in the spam of a couple days. :shrug:

I don't think either of them needs each other, the promoter has always wanted u2 to headline (thus the same rumor year after year) and U2 maybe thinks this might be their last opportunity to do it.

They should really play Mofo at Glastonbury. I think it could actually go over well there... and it's not like they need to "cater to casual fans", because the audience won't really be made up of U2 fans, casual or otherwise.

exactly. you'll have much more open-minded festival goers, who are mainly there to hear some great tunes rather than omg i have to hear vertigo.

:yes:

That's the point, if you want to win the crowd over you must play tunes like Mofo. Keep it a rockin' set with a few slower tracks here and there (Stay, Drowning Man, maybe even a RTSS). Vertigo, Elevation, Boots (as much as I like it) should probably be left out. They'll do a sort of set that'll cover basically all of their career. I'd personally like songs like these to be included in the set, although probably unlikely:

11 O'clock Tick Tock
Electric Co.
Gloria
Like a Song
Drowning Man
Bad
Unforgettable Fire
Where The Streets Have No Name
Exit
Running To Stand Still
God Part II
The Fly
Until The End of The World
Zoo Station
Stay
Mofo
Gone
Please
No Line on the Horizon
Cedars of Lebanon

These are just some songs I think would work on the Glasto stage, but evidently I am no expert. I left out Attyclub and Hutdaab since i'm not too sure about them.

Jus' throwin' it out there.

You know there'll be at least one person there who tells all his friends how much he hates U2 and blogs that he's going to throw shit at Bono's head ...

... and then goes home after the show heartbroken because they didn't play Beautiful Day.

What i'd like to hear them play, either in montreal or if i'm lucky enough to make it across the pond for glaston, is Seconds.

I can't believe this actually happening, U2 always say they don't do festivals and they pick the hipster pilgrimage festival? Here's hoping for some show-stopping rarities and SOA material to put them in their place.

:yes:

That's the point, if you want to win the crowd over you must play tunes like Mofo. Keep it a rockin' set with a few slower tracks here and there (Stay, Drowning Man, maybe even a RTSS). Vertigo, Elevation, Boots (as much as I like it) should probably be left out. They'll do a sort of set that'll cover basically all of their career. I'd personally like songs like these to be included in the set, although probably unlikely:

11 O'clock Tick Tock
Electric Co.
Gloria
Like a Song
Drowning Man
Bad
Unforgettable Fire
Where The Streets Have No Name
Exit
Running To Stand Still
God Part II
The Fly
Until The End of The World
Zoo Station
Stay
Mofo
Gone
Please
No Line on the Horizon
Cedars of Lebanon

These are just some songs I think would work on the Glasto stage, but evidently I am no expert. I left out Attyclub and Hutdaab since i'm not too sure about them.

Jus' throwin' it out there.

nice choices!

out of these, i reckon Electric Co., Unforgettable Fire, Where The Streets Have No Name, God Part II, The Fly, Until The End of The World, Zoo Station, Mofo, and Gone would work nicely... i would also add I Will Follow, and a really heavy version of Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car... i also reckon the quieter more mellow songs would lose the audience... i think U2 might need to go for a "fry-their-brains" approach :D

thinking on the other albums... i think Beautiful Day would be asking for trouble in that crowd lmfao... so would Magnificent - the line "i was born to sing for you" could be a disaster waiting to happen :D

No Line on the Horizon track might be ok though.... personally can't see anything decent or worth playing at Glastonbury on The Bomb

-----

edited to add: i seriously think "One" might work well...

wait and see - they'll go and do their best ever setlist for Glastonbury won't they?! it could be a legendary U2 set!

Let's get real here people. The set will be mainly greatest hits and any "rare" songs that may get played at Glastonbury will be ones that they are already playing on the tour. U2 is not gonna rehearse new songs just for this one show. They barely rehearsed new songs during the course of the 2009 tour (minues a few exceptions of course) so I don't understand why people think they will for this one show. Unless they find their way into the 2010 tour's setlist, there won't be any Mofo, The Fly, God Part II, etc at Glastonbury.

I wouldn't call The Fly rare. I doubt they'll pull anything completely random out, and to be honest, reaching too deep would be mostly meaningless anyway. The set should be about smacking the doubters and deniers across the face. So I think it's partly more about what they leave out than what they put in (i.e. careful with the 00s material - a stellar rendition of, say, Kite would be fantastic, but trying to energise via a run through the Elevations and Vertigo's, or delving into the super cheesy end of the mid tempo Bomb songs, would tank spectacularly), and about making the well known (warhorse) songs absolutely blistering.

I think the point would be that if U2 can do it with no Bono lectures, no super stage effects, no bells and whistles, just the band on a stage, just take U2's best songs and give them one of the performances of their lives, then there's little to no room for the doubters or deniers to gloat.

Given that, the two biggest concerns would be that the band don't quite get that, and run through a fairly generic 360 set on autopilot, or they do try and do something 'special' beyond the songs (stage setup or whatever), or that the schedule leaves them lacking in energy (or voice) or something.

Having said that, I think dropping a Mofo or HMTMKMKM or something like that in there would be fucking fantastic.

trying to energise via a run through the Elevations and Vertigo's, or delving into the super cheesy end of the mid tempo Bomb songs, would tank spectacularly
QUOTE]
I really don't get why you think that Elevation and Vertigo won't work. You may not like those songs but they work fantastically live. So almost everybody at U2's gigs likes Vertigo and Elevation but the festivalgoers will not like them? Not very logical IMO.

I wouldn't call The Fly rare. I doubt they'll pull anything completely random out, and to be honest, reaching too deep would be mostly meaningless anyway. The set should be about smacking the doubters and deniers across the face.

I agree that The Fly isn't really rare, I was just spitting back some songs people have mentioned. And I also agree that the set should be about showing the doubters what's up.

I think the point would be that if U2 can do it with no Bono lectures

This is what is going to make or break U2's performance. No matter how well the band is performing, they are going to lose alot of the audience, and piss alot people off, if Bono starts any of his speeches. Alot of people hate U2 because of Bono, so if the band want to win the crowd over, Bono needs to be anti-Bono for a show (ie no lecturing, preaching, etc).

Given that, the two biggest concerns would be that the band don't quite get that, and run through a fairly generic 360 set on autopilot

This would be a huge mistake, but I think (hope) the band realises they have to cater to a festival crowd.

Alot of people hate U2 because of Bono, so if the band want to win the crowd over, Bono needs to be anti-Bono for a show (ie no lecturing, preaching, etc).

Agree with this. They also need to figure out how to work the stage effectively, given that they will be unused to playing without rampways, etc.

Alot of people hate U2 because of Bono, so if the band want to win the crowd over, Bono needs to be anti-Bono for a show (ie no lecturing, preaching, etc).

The only way to appease the anti-U2 at Glastonbury crowd will be if Larry, Edge and Adam tie Bono up and keep him off the stage. :hmm:

Admittedly the "Bono's a twat" t-shirt wearing brigade may be a little disappointed that he won't get to see their t-shirts, but it will be for the greater good of the festival. :shifty:

I think the point would be that if U2 can do it with no Bono lectures, no super stage effects, no bells and whistles, just the band on a stage, just take U2's best songs and give them one of the performances of their lives, then there's little to no room for the doubters or deniers to gloat.
the brandenburg gate show suggested they can pull that off, too.

Brandenburg gate was 1) a much shorter set than headlining Glastonbury, and 2) U2 fans arrived. I also don't remember online petitions like "stop U2 from playing Berlin!" or reports about "Bono ist ein twat" T-shirts.

And I doubt the reports after Glastonbury will actually be about the music they play, whatever they may pick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom