July 16th, 17th, 2010 - Montreal - Hippodrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u2 show: will invest 3 mill$ to build spot 4 show (on existing polo area), @hippodrome. Will be taken down after. -u2 show: will invest 3 mill$ to build spot 4 show (on existing polo area), @hippodrome. Will be taken down after. | TweetPhoto

Wow. $3 million. I knew U2 loved Montreal - and now this proves it. On one hand, if they're investing this much money, it seems that they'd want to get the most out of it, i.e. two shows. On the other hand, if it is going to have a capacity of 60,000 to 80,000 and is in the middle of nowhere, I'm not sure there will be enough demand to warrent 2 shows....

MONTREAL, Nov. 16 /CNW Telbec/ - Gillett Entertainment Group and Live Nation are thrilled to announce that U2's Montreal concert will be held at the Montreal Hippodrome on Friday, July 16th - an unprecedented spectacle in Quebec!

After having performed in the city several times at Club Montréal, the Forum, Bell Centre and The Olympic Stadium, U2 is now looking to push their Montreal boundaries even further by building an open-air stadium capable of welcoming over 60,000 fans! Similar to ventures in Europe, Quebecois fans will reap the benefits of seeing U2 perform outdoors in an electrifying atmosphere, for one night only! During their 2005 performance in Montreal, the band emphatically declared "Vive U2 à Montreal!"... no one could question their sincerity now.

The Montreal Hippodrome, located at 7440 Décarie boul., is the only location capable of hosting a show of this magnitude - the stage alone is comparable in size to the Bell Centre itself! What's more, the geographic emplacement of this site is ideal: located in the heart of the city, in proximity to major arteries (Décarie and Métropolitain boul.), and well serviced by public transportation. In order to provide the tens of thousands of fans with a seamless concert experience, satellite parking lots will also be designated and served by shuttle buses.

More than 300 employees will be employed in the construction of this site which is slated to begin in May. Two months will be necessary to complete the site build and another month will be required to dismantle it. More than 300 trucks will transport the 40,000 grandstands coming from Canada.

Jacques Aubé, Vice-president of the Gillett Entertainment Group said of the project: "U2 and Montreal are inseparable. We absolutely had to find a first-rate location to host them. Even if the project is uniquely complex, demanding, and bold, we are exceptionally happy to be offering fans an unrivalled concert that will forever leave its mark on the cultural history of Montreal."

Wow. $3 million. I knew U2 loved Montreal - and now this proves it. On one hand, if they're investing this much money, it seems that they'd want to get the most out of it, i.e. two shows. On the other hand, if it is going to have a capacity of 60,000 to 80,000 and is in the middle of nowhere, I'm not sure there will be enough demand to warrent 2 shows....

It's not in the middle of nowhere. It's right next to a major highway, and the Namur subway station is right across the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom