June 7, 2011 - Overstock.com Coliseum - Oakland, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My short review: very, very fun show. I did GA - got there around 10 a.m. with my buddy, hung out in line w/ other fans, got wristbanded, and we made it into the heart at around 5 pm no problem. I was surprised by how crowded it was in there: I've done the heart a bunch of times over the Elevation/Vertigo/360 tours, and usually there's room to breathe and dance and spazz out, etc., but yesterday, except for the far edges, we were packed like sardines... probably the Coliseum's fault and not the band's, but as someone who's been spoiled by having lots of room, this was a little claustrophobic, and others seemed to be all saying the same thing. I'd be curious what others' thoughts were...

The show itself was great. For me personally, I enjoyed Cardiff and Rose Bowl 360 shows more, and the crowd seemed a little flat at times (Bono exhorting us to sing "you'll never walk alone" and no one doing it, etc.) but hearing Zooropa and Scarlet for the first time was fantastic.

Funny vignette: apparently Edge and Larry went out drinking tequila with Metallica and Green Bay (both Bay Area bands) the night before the show, and Bono was interviewing them both about the "summit meeting." "I think I remember maybe the first hour of it... keep in mind there was tequila," Edge joked. Good stuff.

You got to hear larry sing a few lines that alone would make this fantastic for me

A fabulous show last night, I enjoyed this one more than Las Vegas nearly two years ago. I didn’t do GA this time as I got some great seats in 123. It’s not the same a being on the rail. But it’s a whole other vantage point to experience. I bought these seats the seconds they went on sale in 09. Watching the people in GA made me cringe. I took BART to the show and avoided the nightmare. Great move watching the freeway from the train. Ugh.

Overstock is a great way to describe this stadium it’s a dump and they need to blow it up. I hate this stadium. I have seen so many shows here over the decades. This show however was the best as far as Sound, Stage and Performance. Of course it was U2 the last of the great bands that hold down the tradition of straight forward rock. Bono’s line about how music shaped the Bay Area and the Bay Area shaped the world. Yea in some ways he was right. But I hated Bay Area “Hippie” bands in the 60’s. (I feel different now) The British set the bar. Or the Irish…IMO. U2 proved that again last night.

I was ambivalent about “Even Better” as an opener. But I was stunned. I thought this diesel version was one the best openers by any band in my some decades on this planet. (Edge's tone) I was floored with great sound mix right from the start. The set list ways a nice change up from two years ago. Highlights for me were the revamped “Magnificent” thought it had a dud point. (Zooropa as well) All the tracks from “Achtung Baby” were well received. “Miss Sarajevo” always creates a live spiritual moment with Bono. The set list has evolved so well over the last 2 years. It was fresh to my ears last night.

A great moment with Larry candidly singing “Perfect Day” they should have bought Lou up for a song. Commander Kelly’s moment was heartfelt. It made my wife cry. “She Knows” The last 1/3 of the set is well known and received. I hope they release another DVD of this leg of the 360 tour. It was so different from Vegas. The local reviews in the SF Weekly and Mercury News are just what to expect from today’s writers. It was a perfect show after waiting two years and getting older.

I was surprised by how crowded it was in there: I've done the heart a bunch of times over the Elevation/Vertigo/360 tours, and usually there's room to breathe and dance and spazz out, etc., but yesterday, except for the far edges, we were packed like sardines... probably the Coliseum's fault and not the band's, but as someone who's been spoiled by having lots of room, this was a little claustrophobic, and others seemed to be all saying the same thing. I'd be curious what others' thoughts were..

I heard that U2 had 2400 people on the guestlist, most of whom probably had special Inner Circle wristbands, which would account for the unusually packed scene there. Kind of reminds me of what happened with the VIPs at the Vertigo Hawaii show.

It was nice and loose up front in the middle, though, nobody touched us the whole show.

I heard that U2 had 2400 people on the guestlist, most of whom probably had special Inner Circle wristbands, which would account for the unusually packed scene there. Kind of reminds me of what happened with the VIPs at the Vertigo Hawaii show.

It was nice and loose up front in the middle, though, nobody touched us the whole show.

No wonder. I bet your smelly feet kept everyone away. :p

glad I got there early!

------

U2 concert turns into nightmare for motorists stuck in traffic

By Angela Woodall
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 06/08/2011 04:47:35 PM PDT

Some fans got a taste of the real thing at Tuesday night's U2 concert at the Overstock.com Coliseum in Oakland.

Others, stuck for hours in traffic that made Interstate 880 look more like an overflow parking lot than a freeway, just got a taste of frustration.

They ended up with nothing more than the distant echo of U2 carried to their car windows despite paying as much as $250 for tickets and driving for hours.

Rush-hour traffic, construction on arterial roadways and two minor accidents contributed to their plight.

But the car-bound fans -- many from the South Bay, Marin and Peninsula -- blamed the coliseum and Oakland for lacking the level of planning called for during a sold-out concert that drew in nearly 69,000 people.

"This concert was a complete fiasco and many thousands of on-time, paying attendees were not able to attend," read a typical complaint by a would-be attendee by the name of Mark Breier left on the blog of Bay Area News Group music critic Jim Harrington.

He said his family left the Peninsula at 6:15 p.m. and ended up turning around at 10:15 p.m. without ever having set foot near the Coliseum.

"Incredibly bad showing for U2 and Oakland Stadium," he wrote.

Another couple left Palo Alto at 5:50 p.m. and ended up in the gridlock that stretched from the coliseum to the Dumbarton Bridge.

They ended up paying a security guard $20 to park in the lot
Advertisement
of an office building on Oakport Street because the coliseum parking lot and official overflow parking lots were filled. "We didn't care," the woman said. It was either pay the guard $20 to avoid being towed or go home, she said.

They managed to catch about an hour of the 2½-hour U2 performance.

The coliseum opened the parking lot at 7 a.m. By 6:45 p.m. all 10,000 parking places in the coliseum and two overflow lots had filled up, said Ron Little, general manager for SMG, the venue management company that runs the coliseum.

"That's all we have available to us."

He said the traffic was to be expected because the concert was sold out.

Leaving at 6 p.m. and expecting to get into a concert that began at 7 p.m. is unrealistic, he said. "With a sold-out show that's just not possible."

BART riders avoided the traffic snarl getting into the show but leaving was more complicated. Gina Gotsill said she left the concert about 11:40 p.m. to get to BART in time for the last train to Concord. But her husband ended up having to pick her up because so many other people were trying to get to the BART Coliseum station that she was afraid she would miss the train. "It was an impossible situation," Gotsill said. "And a little terrifying," she said about the huge crowd on the overpass bridge.

Nearby roadways such as High Street and International Boulevard were open and residents rented out the driveways for a fee. Several parking lots east of the coliseum complex also were available. But many people took I-880 and were unfamiliar enough with Oakland to venture more than a mile beyond the coliseum.

They paid $40 for overflow parking and trekked over the freeway overpass that separates the lots from the coliseum.

A couple from Palo Alto said they were intimidated by Oakland's reputation for being an unsafe city so the mile walk across the overpass added fear to frustration.

Little said SMG put up electronic boards along Coliseum Way and 66th Avenue notifying drivers that the lots were full. "Other than drive them (to the concert) ourselves we're at a loss."

And although the show nearly reached the stadium capacity of 70,000 people, many people are familiar to SMG because Raiders games can clog the 66th Avenue exit to the Coliseum and snarls traffic for miles along 880.

Even the 90 Oakland officers called into police the concert had trouble finding parking, said Sgt. Tom Hogenmiller.

Parking shortages were exacerbated by the size of the show. Some 250 spots in the B section of the coliseum lot were taken by big rigs, buses and other vehicles carrying equipment, band members and crew. By 8 p.m. SMG began backfilling that section as well as the VIP parking area.

"There was just nowhere left to put people," Hogenmiller said.

It's a congested urban area and I-880 can come to a standstill on its own even where there are no events, he said. "There are certain things beyond our control."

"Incredibly bad showing for U2 and Oakland Stadium," he wrote.

I realize that Bono sings "I'm a traffic cop" on NLOTH, but he is not actually a traffic cop, nor a stadium or city planner.

U2 cannot control traffic and parking logistics.

Tired, yeah. Arrived home in Sacramento at 3:00. Thanks again to Nick and Brad for keeping all the order that could be kept and to everyone in the GA line. It was great to meet you all. I have awesome photos to post a little later.

Apparently a lot of people going to this event have not attended a sold out event at any of our large stadiums here in the bay area. This has nothing to do with U2 or Oakland. Try leaving one hour before kickoff from the east bay to catch a sold out 49ers game at Candlestick park and you'll encounter the same problems. The neighborhood around Candlestick ain't the greatest either so I'm sure the people who are afraid of Oakland's image would experience the same level of fear out in Hunters Point. Oakland actually has better access due to the BART station adjacent to the stadium so imagine the nightmare if this event would have been at Candlestick, the only other real venue that could have handled the Claw here in N. Cal.
Sorry, I'm a life long east bay area dweller and I'm sick and tired of hearing people blame their negative experience on Oakland and/or whoever is playing there instead of on their lack of experience in attending these type of events. I left work at 3pm, went home for a bit, stopped for a bite to eat on the way to the stadium and arrived there at 5:30pm and was able to park exactly where I wanted to. Just took a little bit of planning..
(ends rant and quietly goes back to lurking :reject:)

Ha! Our football teams are trying! :sad:
Imagine if these people were trying to get to the Los Angeles coliseum for the Joshua Tree shows back in the day... They'd never make it!

I'm sorry people missed the concert due to traffic, but expecting to leave your house 1 hour before a sold out, major outdoor stadium event is not recommended anywhere in my experience.

Anyone else just feel uncomfortably bad for Moonalice? It was awkward.

I heard some ppl in the pit talking about how packed it was in there - and its been mentioned in here. So is that basically the consensus? It felt very very crowded to me but this is the only 360 show I have been to.

Amazing night in Oakland!!!
Hubbie and I had Red Zone tickets.. but I was so excited I wanted to be there early, so we got to the Will Call at 1030am, picked up our Red Zone bands and tix, and found Gate A, where our "line" was. We found one other couple there in front of us! So we were second in line, and very happy about that. :D We wanted to get the front most spot of the Red Zone...
It was surprising to me... that only a few more people showed up. We were maybe 8 people til about 3pm. When doors opened at 5pm, there were a total of about 30-40 people there. There was some chaos before entering... security came to tell us that GA would go in at 445pm and Red Zone at 5. Wouldnt really matter for us, since we wanted to stay in the Red Zone.. but for the couple in front of us that wanted to go into the Circle.. it was getting stressful. So I called someone over from U2 security, and we made our case...and he agreed that was stupid. So at 5, they let us all in and everyone rushed down to the floor.. again, security was being stupid... trying to stop us with Red Zone bands, saying they werent valid because they didnt have guitars on them (like regular GA!) We kept running, but it was a little intense. Anyways, worked out that my husband and I were first in our Red Zone... so we ran into the corner front spot that I wanted :applaud: We had awesome people all around us.... this father/son duo that were in back of us in line ended up next to us.. pretty cool to see a little 9 yr old at his first U2 show :)

I was glad we stuck with Red Zone, as we were debating to go into the circle. It looked so packed in there.. people were like sardines.. I like to be able to leave to go use the restroom if needed, and we were lucky in Red Zone people were cool with it, up until right after Lenny. Then it got a little sketchy to leave.
The show was awesome.. I dont get the people saying Bono was sick/hoarse... I thought he looked full of energy and in great spririts... he is either a really good faker or he was feelin alright! All of them looked like they were having a great time out there! Loved the new visuals.. Zooropa was a highlight for me! Amazing! It was great to be back at the venue where the whole U2 dream started for me.. way back on 11/15/1987.. JT Tour.. back at the Colliseum.

I am sad its over... so much antipation and then seems like 2 seconds, poof its over... but I have Anaheim to look forward to next Friday.. cant wait!!! Im wondering if we should even attempt to get into the circle with our GA tix... if its packed like Oakland, it didnt look very tempting.

Anyways, the night proved to me that U2 will forever be, the BEST band in the world. Thank you U2, for brightening up my life!

Ha! Our football teams are trying! :sad:
Imagine if these people were trying to get to the Los Angeles coliseum for the Joshua Tree shows back in the day... They'd never make it!

I'm sorry people missed the concert due to traffic, but expecting to leave your house 1 hour before a sold out, major outdoor stadium event is not recommended anywhere in my experience.

LOL... No trains to the Coliseum... yet. I will say the ONE thing the Rose Bowl did well was stress the importance of people getting to the show early. I didn't hear stories of not making the show.

I lined up on the A side because that's where I happened to park my car at 7am. I learned right away that the B line was shorter at that point (and may have remained shorter all day?), but I was close to my car and frankly couldn't be bothered to drag my shit all the way to the other side of the stadium. It worked out okay. I ended up on the outer rail, close to the center but slightly toward Adam's side.

This was actually my first 360 show not inside the inner circle, except for the two shows when I was in the RZ. I was worried about it being more crowded/pushy, but since the circle was so packed at this show anyway, it probably didn't make much of a difference. I really liked watching the show from that vantage point! I'm now of the opinion that the outer rail is probably the ideal place to see the show. Although I had a "better" spot in Seattle on the front rail, I think I actually enjoyed the Oakland show more. I liked being able to actually see everything.

Anyone else just feel uncomfortably bad for Moonalice? It was awkward.
Yes, I felt bad for them. I was watching the crowd more than the band during their set, and lots of people were making fun of them, ignoring them, talking during their set, sleeping on the rail instead of watching, etc.

Oh, and I don't have much sympathy for the people who didn't anticipate insane traffic and missed the show due to poor planning. Although I'm still bitter about the $40 parking fee, I'm glad I ended up paying it. The show ended later than normal at about 11:50 (thanks, Moonalice!), and the last trains were scheduled to leave just after midnight. I'm sure that was a nightmare. I got out of the parking lot in less than 20 minutes.

This was the first U2 show I've seen live and it's definitely the best concert I've ever been to.

I love the concert DVDs but seeing them live is like 100x better. I really wish I'd gotten tickets to Anahiem now, even though I'll be gone then, it's like a 9 hour drive, and it's probably sold out.

There was some chaos before entering... security came to tell us that GA would go in at 445pm and Red Zone at 5. Wouldnt really matter for us, since we wanted to stay in the Red Zone.. but for the couple in front of us that wanted to go into the Circle.. it was getting stressful. So I called someone over from U2 security, and we made our case...and he agreed that was stupid. So at 5, they let us all in and everyone rushed down to the floor..

Ah ha, so you're the one!

That "lovely" couple in front of you ended up on the front rail a couple of spots to my left, to the chagrin of many regular GA people from Gate A who had lined up for two days for rail spots, but who were delayed from entering the pit by the confused security guards (thanks to typically crap communication from U2's tour managers).

As we were sitting there trying to catch our breath after the run down the 44 steps, a number of fans behind us were pissed off at the RZ couple in front of them and started dogging them hard. The Polish guy who ended up onstage with Bono after "Streets" was the most aggressive, claiming, "This never is allowed to happen in Europe!" (not true).

I kept asking him to sit down and forget about it, but he kept at it for awhile to the point where a security guard came over to calm him down. The guard called his superior upstairs to check on the "rules" regarding pit access to RZ ticketholders, and they were confirmed.

I'm so glad I didnt have to deal with the traffic mess. 880 is ridiculous. We left around 3:15 and made it there in about 35 - 40 minutes and leaving the stadium we got out in about 5 minutes. Granted, we left at MOS just because I didnt want to deal with the mess and sit in the parking lot trying to get the heck out of there but still I've never been able to get out of a concert parking lot that fast. I think people that live around here should know you cant leave at 6:15pm during commute time to try to make a U2 show in time, especially with all the mess and construction at 880. Its been like that for quite a while.

I lined up around 4pm and still was able to get into the pit. Unfortunately I think they let way too many people in the pit as it was so crowded. I sat through Moon Alice (zzzzz) and part of Lenny from the back rail and when I left to use the bathroom and get a drink, by the time I got back U2 was going to come on in like 15 minutes and no one would let me get back to my spot. Kind of annoying and I was pissed but whatever. So I sat there on the way far side of Edges side for like 3 songs and just had enough so I went out to the back of GA by soundboard for the rest of the show. The pit was just super crowded and by the time U2 came on I had a bunch of annoying drunks around me, couldn't really see, and was getting smashed. It's so much less stressful and congested in the back, and I like to see the claw from there. It's so beautiful. I uploaded some pics to the gallery. Here are my favs.

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Awesome photos Sicy! (And thank you! ;) )
We had a great time! It was our first 360 show since Rose Bowl and though I still prefer the RB show, this one was fantastic! I never mind when Bono's voice might sound a little rough around the edges at the start. One of his strengths is that it always seems to just get better and stronger as the show goes on, and it's the uniqueness of his voice I love best anyway, rough spots and all. He makes up for it by far with the emotion and passion he puts into every line that make him special. And by Miss Sarajevo he was amazing. We stayed near the center back of GA to get the big picture this time and it was fine and not crowded.
We met Dallas of all places out in the parking lot and wow what a sweetheart! He spent 15 minutes just talking to my family about all kinds of stuff and talked guitars with us, he was curious about what kinds of guitars my husband has. I asked him about Bono's new custom Tele and he said :ohmy: What!? No one is supposed to know about that until Bono sees it first! Oops :reject: lol :lol:

Dallas and Charlie

101_2100.jpg

And with my daughters

DSC07716.jpg

Me and the setlist

DSC07783.jpg

We had a great time! :)

The guard called his superior upstairs to check on the "rules" regarding pit access to RZ ticketholders, and they were confirmed.
So RZ ticketholders can actually enter the pit and remain in the pit throughout the show? Does it work the other way around? (GA ticketholders in RZ space)

EDIT: And I'm still drooling over Sicy's pics... :drool:

Back
Top Bottom