"Unknown Caller" a weak live track?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The live version rocks dude! Grab a high quality version and take a listen. The crowd Getz right into it.

i actually think the Milan II & Paris II performances have been the best of UC so far

and I kinda see where the OP is coming from; it hasn't been AS powerful live so far as I had been expecting. but then again I had extremely high expectations of this song live; I was expecting it to be one of the very BEST live U2 songs. It just hasn't hit me that hard I guess. So I definitely understand where you're coming from when you say it's been "a bit uninspiring" and "flat" Jeef690

Still, that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed it so far. It's been pretty darn good despite failing to meet my ridiculously high expectations!

Last edited:
Your post might have made an impact if there hadn't already been 35 other responses in the thread.

Last edited:
UC has been one of the highlights in the shows I have attended to and the recordings are not doing justice to the live experience.
The explanation for the lyrics on the screen is very simple, it's a new song and not all the fans (I mean normal fans, not obsessed, crazy fans like us) over the world learn the lyrics of every song by heart, especially when English is not their mother tongue, as someone has pointed out before. So far they've been in Spain where people speak Spanish or Catalan in Barcelona, in Italy Italian, in France French, in Germany German, and tonight in Holland where they speak Dutch, so no native English speaking audiences up to the moment. Have you ever tried to remember the lyrics of a song in Spanish for example? If you are an English speaker (and you can't speak Spanish), you'll find it quite difficult, then imagine trying to remember all the lyrics of a band that has been successful for 30 years!

i've said it before and i'll say it again. UC is one of the best songs U2 has ever written/recorded, and the live version only enhances it.

i have not seen or heard it live yet- however; my friend has and she loved it. actually she didn't like it on the album, but after hearing it live - it clicked for her.

Yeah, I think many people did, but at least in Barcelona Bono had to get them started.

btw, Edge really really nailed that solo in Berlin.

I just came back from Amsterdam 1, UC was the the new song I was looking forward too most, and sure did it live up to expectations!! GOOO Shout it out!!!!

Bootlegs of this song are absolutely incomparable to the live experience, and thats what this song is live - an 'experience'.

Very powerful and amazing song live. I never really could warm up to the studio cut, but as usual they took it to a new level on stage and it soars. I hope they play Unknown Caller every single night of the tour (so far its looking good).

One little quibble, though, please drop the birds at the start and have Bono properly introduce the song instead. Either way it is awesome, just nagging a bit is all.

I'm not blaming the audience.
I guess I just have a problem with the setlist - and the overt cheerleading during UC. So far it just seems kinda desperate.
I understand that Pride is 25 years old, so everyone knows to repeat the "Oh oh oh oh's". I'm not even blaming the band for having the words on the jumbo - but I'll attest to this - I will eat my hat if UC ever makes an official DVD and they actually show the prompts.
I'm quite hungry and I'm looking for that hat of mine.
U2.com > News > 'Shout it out...'

Sorry for being a douchebag on this topic.

I'll just say that it rocked in Phoenix... this despite me completely trashing it after just listening to both the album version, as well as various bootlegs.

The Edge's solo is MUCH BETTER... as for the lyrics, I was easily the only one I could physically see that was singing along. I STILL hate the lyrics, though.

That's SOMETHING right there.

edge should nail the solo EVERYTIME.

if you cant even play your own guitar solos, there is something wrong. and it's not like the song is Eruption or anything.

UC is one of my fave tracks on NLOTH and I was actually surprised how great it was live. I'm so glad they brought it back and that it will also be on the DVD. The audience chant is great, because the band cannot do all the chanting themselves like it's supposed to sound.

The one NLOTH song that didn't do it for me.

The "oh oh oh" chorus (why the karaoke lyrics on the screen ? it's not that hard to figure out what to sing even if you don't own the album...) I prefer on the album, and didn't come across well live. Enjoyed the solo though.

Also, Bono's "da da da da da" just doesn't work in place of that trumpet on the album. Surely Tery Lawless can learn those few notes on the keyboards ?

And the gorgeous intro fails live.

I don't know what to think about the live performance of Unknown Caller. Musicwise it's much better. But it has become a sing-a-long and I don't like that.
Maybe they did it wrong during the recording UC. "Shout for joy", they are not really shouting, are they? So the studio version is too modest... I don't know. Help me!

Glad they put on filmn though.

Back
Top Bottom