U2 Glastonbury Setlist Prediction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think that's what they'll do. But if they are bumping One/Streets to the first third, there must be something else going on at the end. So was just trying to say, clearly either a 'new' encore of a couple of Big Ones, or there's some Wildcard idea. And it wouldn't be that surprising for something like that to pop up, even though you are right, it could or would easily overshadow the rest of the set.

I had forgotten about the BB King thing while doing that set, but Gareth raises the point I was going to - it's quite possible that they will guest in HIS set. Though in U2's set seems more probable. I'm also with Gareth and the others who suggested earlier in this thread that U2 will merrily blow past the 1 hour 45 thing. I expect no less than 2 hours. I was originally going to predict 21-22 songs, but I'm fairly inclined to think they'll probably charge on to 23-24. Especially if Bono's speeches are kept to a minimum; no doubt the rest of the band have had a stern talk to him and let him know that there are plenty of people in the audience who won't take away such a good impression if he tries to preach. Of course, if Bono tries to work in a snippet of every single band that's ever played at Glastonbury, that'll take up plenty of time on its own.

As for Boots, I cannot see them dropping it - or more to the point, I can't see them playing a set without a single NLOTH song, and Boots is the most likely candidate for inclusion. Magnificent is probably out unless they revert to the old version; Crazy Tonight may not work without the 360 staging; and for the love of god guys, you have so many better closers than MOS. End on a huge upbeat number. I would nominate NLOTH the song as the most ideal track from NLOTH the album to play at Glastonbury, but it's pretty fucking obvious that it was dead and buried at the end of 2009 and isn't coming back, not even in one-off zombie 2010 form.

And Miss Sarajevo and Zooropa? Remember, Miss Sarajevo was a top ten hit in the UK (got to #6 I think), so I reckon it's a good shot at staying. And COBL is probably quite likely, so if they do Miss Sarajevo and COBL, why not just keep Zooropa in the middle? It'll nicely punctuate the nineties emphasis they're evidently going for anyway, and is the one bone thrown to people who know more U2 albums than JT, AB, and the Best Ofs.

Damn i forgot Ultraviolet! That would make 1:55 hrs (Boots included). I think that is realistic. Still not too sure about Miss Sarajevo and I really think they will drop Zooropa and go for more up-tempo/ famous songs. I'm excited that's for sure

could be something like this if 23 songs are played

1. EBTTRT
2. The Fly
3. UTEOTW
4. Mysterious Ways
5. One
6. IWF
7. Out of control
8. GOYB
9. Elevation
10. Glastonbury
11. ISHFWILF
12. When love comes to town (with BB King)
13. Staring at the Sun/ Desire
14. Beautiful Day
15. City Of Blinding Lights
16. Vertigo
17. Sunday Bloody Sunday
18. Pride
19. Ultraviolet
20. WOWY

21. Streets
22. New Year's Day
23. Bad

That would be epic imo!

I do think the wheel mic is more than a very good chance to be there at Glastonbury. It’s the one element of 360 they can transfer – I mean, it's not often there’s a major element of U2’s staging that can fit in someones hand luggage - and it is pretty unique/cool.

I don't think that's what they'll do. But if they are bumping One/Streets to the first third, there must be something else going on at the end. So was just trying to say, clearly either a 'new' encore of a couple of Big Ones, or there's some Wildcard idea. And it wouldn't be that surprising for something like that to pop up, even though you are right, it could or would easily overshadow the rest of the set.

Probably the core setlist from Anaheim II minus a song or 2 due to time constraints with the addition of Glastonbury after WOWY. Hard to fathom them not playing Glastonbury.

And Miss Sarajevo and Zooropa? Remember, Miss Sarajevo was a top ten hit in the UK (got to #6 I think), so I reckon it's a good shot at staying. And COBL is probably quite likely, so if they do Miss Sarajevo and COBL, why not just keep Zooropa in the middle? It'll nicely punctuate the nineties emphasis they're evidently going for anyway, and is the one bone thrown to people who know more U2 albums than JT, AB, and the Best Ofs.

this! they'll obviously know they're not just playing to NON-Fans so having the long overdue inclusion of this song that they clearly love playing, in the middle of two big singles and has worked perfectly this past leg, wouldn't be such a crime to bring into this supposed shaken-up set.

-

i'm just sad Sweetest Thing hasn't been revived. :( would have been a perfect addition.

Friggin' Cobbler, I was coming here to post the Anaheim II set as my prediction!

Though I actually predict the second half of the set will be a bit different - I reckon Crazy Tonight will be cut, HMTMKMKM in place of UV, and possibly a different closer than MOS.

If they cut Crazy they can play both HMTMKMKM and UV. Zooropa would likely be cut. I'd think Bad and 40 would show up instead as well and would hope they wouldn't play that stinker Stuck. They have so many better stripped down songs they could play if they really want that part in the set.

COBL is a lock. The thing with Miss Sarajevo might be Bono not wanting to risk it getting a sub-par effort at such a gig/broadcast. But then Bono... might be a level of self-confidence that is telling him there's no way he won't get there, even if he only really nails it once every 36 times, so no worries. Zooropa will purely come down to numbers. As fantastic as it is, it's not going to win a stand off with Bad for that final spot, if it comes down to something like that. And I think if they are keeping CT and MOS, Zooropa is sadly probably first in line to make way for something. Crazy Tonight and MOS, all dependent on where their heads are at and staging.

I don't really mind either way about Miss S. Would love, love, love to see Zooropa stay. And I think Crazy Tonight and MOS should be packed in Baltimore and shipped straight to East Lansing.

I'd say it's almost certainly a lock that all the AB songs open, then right into Streets as you guys have said. That's also what they were rehearsing in that Canadian theatre isn't it? Even Better, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Until the End..., One, Streets. Makes all the sense in the world that we'll see that open.

That said, going back to a quote last year about it being the one U2 show you'd see if you only were seeing U2 once in your life or something - I'd say that Bad certainly has to be played, and it certainly has to be played later in the setlist too to make sure the back end has the oomph it'll need. It wouldn't really shock me if they went all Vertigo tour on us and closed with Bad, in fact, it'd probably be the best thing for them to close with. I could see them closing with With or Without You, but, Bad is just a million times more epic live. Especially today.

Last played on Vertigo, but I don't think there's going to be anything else 'new' in there (unless its acoustic) as it would have popped up at either the theatre or in soundchecks by now. Which is a shame. BTBS is a mood/colour/whatever missing from the likely set. Would be good to have as close to a complete U2 palette in there as possible.

That said, going back to a quote last year about it being the one U2 show you'd see if you only were seeing U2 once in your life or something.

:up: The first 5 songs are basically the start of a Zoo show minus Zoo Station, perhaps they would have considered ZS but feel EBTTRT is a stronger opener to a festival crowd, who knows? The next two songs opened a lot of JT shows so it seems they are using a few classic combos. I would still expect Bad and New Years Day to show up at the expense of something else. NY Day would certainly fit in the GOYB slot or more likely replace CT and Bad could replace MOS. Take out a few songs to time constraints, unfortunately Zooropa will probably go and there is your set

Even Better Than The Real Thing
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Until The End Of The World
One
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of/Desire/AIWIY/Stay
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Miss Sarajevo
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
New Years Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Walk On
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Bad/40

Then as the crowd carry on chanting 'How Long...' they come back out and rip into Out Of Control:lol:

Anyhow sssh Countryfile weather report is on

My guess (based on Anaheim 2):
1) Even Better Than The Real Thing
2) The Fly
3) Mysterious Ways
4) Until The End Of The World
5) One
6) Where The Streets Have No Name
7) I Will Follow
8) Get On Your Boots
9) Glastonbury
10) All I Want Is You
11) Beautiful Day
12) Elevation
13) Zooropa
14) City of Blinding Lights
15) Vertigo
16) Discotheque
17) Sunday Bloody Sunday
18) New Year's Day
19) Pride (In The Name Of Love)
---
20) Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
21) Ultraviolet
22) With Or Without You
23) Bad/40

i cant see them playing for 2hrs prob around 1hr 20min-ish
heres what id like to hear on friday below..

The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Until the End of the World
One
Where the Streets Have No Name
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
Beautiful Day
All i want is you
Pride
Zooropa
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Ultraviolet
With or Without You
Moment of Surrender

BB Mac said:
i cant see them playing for 2hrs prob around 1hr 20min-ish
heres what id like to hear on friday below..

The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Until the End of the World
One
Where the Streets Have No Name
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
Beautiful Day
All i want is you
Pride
Zooropa
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Ultraviolet
With or Without You
Moment of Surrender

Why only 1 hour 20 when they have been given a minimum of 1 hour 45

'
'An hour and 20 mins?!? I'd bloody well hope not. I can see it being a 2hour-minimum set.'

i doubt very much it will be a 2hr set (wud be great if it was mind you:))
sumone mentioned 1hr 45mins if thats the case then add 'Bad' n 'Magnificent'
it could be a 20song set list if its 1hr 45mins ...best waiting and see :D

COBL is a lock. The thing with Miss Sarajevo might be Bono not wanting to risk it getting a sub-par effort at such a gig/broadcast. But then Bono... might be a level of self-confidence that is telling him there's no way he won't get there, even if he only really nails it once every 36 times, so no worries.

I think that, as long as they are confident Miss Sarajevo will be received as well as they'd like, they'll do it. Bono loves the chance to show off how good his pipes still are (especially important to a crowd that isn't their own - "hey that guy can still fucking sing!"), and even an average opera portion will show it off well enough to get the desired big cheer from the crowd. I'd put its inclusion or exclusion down to anticipated reception, not to how well Bono thinks he can do it.

As for everything else, I think you have basically said everything I would've. I don't agree with the suggestions that they would expand the encore to include both UV and HMTMKMKM. I'm confident that UV only appeared in last night's set because of second night rotation, and I think the only time we'll hear it again this year will be Montreal II. HMTMKMKM is the Big Well Charting Single, not to mention their current performances of it are face-melting and it's the song they've decided to commit to, so I think it's in with a shot. If they're going to expand the encore, it won't be to allow UV to join HMTMKMKM, as much as that may cause half this forum to wet its pants; it will be to allow for either Earnie's aforementioned Very Big Cover featuring Very Big Guest, or for some other Quite Special Song that will knock everybody for six. Like keep MOS, but then whack Bad/40 after it.

Seriously, if U2 know what's good for them, Bad/40 is THE closer. It has the epic nature of Bad, plus the traditional sing-along ending. I'm just not sure they'll do it. A couple of weaker audience responses elsewhere in the world seem to have dented their confidence with Bad recently.

When they were talking about it being a 'greatest hits/90s fest' I was under the assumption that it meant they were excusing themselves from playing much/any NLOTH stuff.

I am expecting something like this:

2) The Fly
3) Mysterious Ways
5) One
6) I Will Follow
7) All I Want Is You
8) ISHFWILF
9) Glastonbury
10) Staring at the Sun (or antoher Pop song)
11) Beautiful Day
12) Elevation
13) Zooropa
15) Vertigo
16) Sunday Bloody Sunday
17) New Year's Day
18) Pride (In The Name Of Love)
---
19) Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
20) Ultraviolet
21) With Or Without You
22) Bad/40

01 Streets
02 I Will Follow
03 Even Better
04 The Fly
05 Mysterious Way
06 Until The End
07 New Year's Day
08 Boots
09 I Still Haven't Found
10 Beautiful Day
11 Elevation
12 Pride
13 Miss Sarajevo
14 Zooropa
15 Vertigo
16 Crazy
17 SBS
18 One
Encore
19 HMTMKMKM
20 Glastonbury
21 WOWY
22 Bad
23 40

When they were talking about it being a 'greatest hits/90s fest' I was under the assumption that it meant they were excusing themselves from playing much/any NLOTH stuff.

I am expecting something like this:

2) The Fly
3) Mysterious Ways
5) One
6) I Will Follow
7) All I Want Is You
8) ISHFWILF
9) Glastonbury
10) Staring at the Sun (or antoher Pop song)
11) Beautiful Day
12) Elevation
13) Zooropa
15) Vertigo
16) Sunday Bloody Sunday
17) New Year's Day
18) Pride (In The Name Of Love)
---
19) Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
20) Ultraviolet
21) With Or Without You
22) Bad/40

Ooh
think you're forgetting something here...

...maybe, their greatest live song of all time???

But in all seriousness, if they play something like this, it would go over quite well I think.
----------------------

If I were them, I would seriously consider playing Discotheque in full after Vertigo. They better not play the Crazy Tonight remix at Glastonbury. It's a great song for the 360 Tour and under the Claw, but Glastonbury is not the 360 tour. Crazy Tonight will come off as a bunch of old guys trying to be "hip" and "disco" and "clubby". Throw Discotheque in that slot instead and watch some faces melt.

1 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
2 - The Fly
3 - Mysterious Ways
4 - Until The End of the World
5 - One
---(I'm almost positive that that is what the opening will look like; the rest of this is just pure speculation/wishful thinking)---
6 - Where The Streets Have No Name
7 - I Will Follow
8 - Glastonbury
9 - Still Haven't Found or All I Want is You
10 - Beautiful Day
11 - Elevation
12 - Gone
13 - Running To Stand Still
14 - Zooropa
15 - City of Blinding Lights
16 - Vertigo
17 - Discotheque
18 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
19 - New Year's Day or Out of Control
20 - Pride (In The Name of Love)
---
21 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
22 - With or Without You
23 - Bad/40

I think you can all very, very safely pack any Discotheque hopes away. Apart from it or Pop recognition in general being one in a billion anyway - for whatever reason, it's such a befuddling song for them. They've never played it twice the same way and they can't seem to nail it. If they were going to be playing Discotheque at this, they would have been hammering away on it at soundchecks for ages.

I think you can all very, very safely pack any Discotheque hopes away. Apart from it or Pop recognition in general being one in a billion anyway - for whatever reason, it's such a befuddling song for them. They've never played it twice the same way and they can't seem to nail it. If they were going to be playing Discotheque at this, they would have been hammering away on it at soundchecks for ages.

A hundred times this. They could sneak in SATS fairly under the radar, but we'd have known about Discotheque even sooner than we knew about The Fly.

Did they not say the planned to open with Streets if they'd played it last year? I'm sure one of them said that after Edge played it with Muse. I know it doesn't fit with the AB opening but it would be a fantastic opening song and the only one I can think of that works well with what will be a very cut back production. Otherwise I'd liked to have seen the old double whammy of Zoo Station and The Fly.

Yep, apart from something acoustic, which Bono/Edge can rehearse together in the bathroom if they want, I think The Fly is very, very clearly *it* for non-360 songs. Even something very 'easy' and straight forward for them - but not played this tour - would have by now popped up, if only briefly. Anything that needs fiddling or work would have been around for a while.

And as an aside, I'm amazed they can't nail Discotheque. Split into it's individual parts, it's probably got more strengths than any of those Achtung songs, they just can't seem to piece them together nice and tight. I think that's probably the basic way they should look at it too - not what it could have been on Pop, but what it would have been if it were on Achtung. Keep the dance rhythm, definitely, juice it up even, but lose the dance-track structuring they seem to be after, with it's drops and rises and Edge almost supplying his parts as samples. If you think about it comparatively, it could quite easily be a danceable Fly-on-steroids. They're just approaching it from the wrong angle. It should/could be one of their all time live highlights. Fucking frustrating knowing they've got that Ferrari in the garage, and watching them wander in there every now and then, have a kick of the tyres and then wander out again, frustrated because it doesn't appear to be a boat. It's a fucking Ferrari! DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT EDGE!

Back
Top Bottom