Miss the NLOTH songs? Or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one said they can only play Horizon songs in a stadium. Will U2 fans never get to hear those missing 4 songs in any capacity? Maybe a tv/radio show or some online only performance. They did some super slow new songs a couple times at Zoo and Pop stadium shows.

Nor did I state they did? WHy are you always trying to start an argument? :huh:

You're asking questions nobody knows the answer to. Not even the band knows what they'll do in a couple of years.

You're asking questions nobody knows the answer to. Not even the band knows what they'll do in a couple of years.

U2 don't have the best track record for not playing a song on the tour after it's release then the song appearing on a later tour. Scarlet and E-Storm come to mind, Drowning man almost made it and full Zooropa plus Wanderer deserve a mention.

Wanderer may be the only album cut they've only played live and made available outside public concert.

In other words, if they don't play the missing 4 Horizon track between Edmonton and Moncton, there's about a 99% chance we'll never hear a live version. I also wonder why there isn't some kind of sign campaign or forum members asking them when they are signing.

U2 don't have the best track record for not playing a song on the tour after it's release then the song appearing on a later tour. Scarlet and E-Storm come to mind, Drowning man almost made it and full Zooropa plus Wanderer deserve a mention.

Wanderer may be the only album cut they've only played live and made available outside public concert.

In other words, if they don't play the missing 4 Horizon track between Edmonton and Moncton, there's about a 99% chance we'll never hear a live version. I also wonder why there isn't some kind of sign campaign or forum members asking them when they are signing.

Scarlet technically doesn't count (played once in 1981), but you're forgetting two really big ones - The First Time and Your Blue Room.

The band have shown an increased tendency over the last five or six years to consider debuting songs that they never played first time around. I think the old mantra that, in order to have a chance of being played later, a song must be played on the tour supporting the album it's on is no longer true.

Oh i like sexy boots, its such a corny song, and it is energetic too, so why is it gone.
UC was a mess and i didnt like it
Breathe needed a better spot than at the start

What bout the other songs form the unreleased album?

The only NLOTH song I miss is NLOTH. I think its the best track on the album and it was a great live song. They can drop Magnificent also, they stopped playing the best part of the song, the intro! LOL I never thought UC was a great album track and I felt the same about it live. Breathe is a good song, but was mediocre as an opener.

I'm a little surprised they did not try Stand Up Comedy. I think it had the potential to be one of those songs that takes on a new life live and is better than the album version.

Exclusive: The Edge and Adam Clayton Talk U2's Future | Rolling Stone Music

There's still a substantial number of No Line On The Horizon songs in the setlist, but at this point it doesn't feel like the No Line tour necessarily.

Adam: Yeah. It is unfortunate. We would like to be playing more of the material from the album. It got great reviews. There's great material on the record, but there's no point banging away songs to people who don't get it. It didn't catch fire. It's old news now. The single didn't work, and when the single doesn't work people don't have a way into the record.

:( But that's not true. That the singles don't work means the general public prefers bullshit music. But at the shows especially NLOTH went over so well! And Breathe would go down well too if it's not the opener!

I think Adam's right, though. Pretty realistic. Aside from Boots, Magnificent and Crazy Tonight, I felt the reaction to the new material was lukewarm at the '09 shows I went to. Unknown Caller was a bathroom break for most of the stadium. Personally I think No Line itself was the best live song and kicked ass - and I thought the crowd's reaction was generally positive, so I find dropping that curious.

But he's right. Boots didn't work and the album didn't catch fire. If they were touring arenas, I think the material would still be rotated in and out of the set. But since the general public are filling up the stadiums, I think they saw lukewarm reactions.

A shame, but I'm happy to see Adam acknowledge that there's great stuff on the album. He's the new go-to for U2 news and even-keel reactions for everything, I think.

I think Adam's right, though. Pretty realistic. Aside from Boots, Magnificent and Crazy Tonight, I felt the reaction to the new material was lukewarm at the '09 shows I went to. Unknown Caller was a bathroom break for most of the stadium. Personally I think No Line itself was the best live song and kicked ass - and I thought the crowd's reaction was generally positive, so I find dropping that curious.

But he's right. Boots didn't work and the album didn't catch fire. If they were touring arenas, I think the material would still be rotated in and out of the set. But since the general public are filling up the stadiums, I think they saw lukewarm reactions.

A shame, but I'm happy to see Adam acknowledge that there's great stuff on the album. He's the new go-to for U2 news and even-keel reactions for everything, I think.

Anything he says is like gospel for me.

:( But that's not true. That the singles don't work means the general public prefers bullshit music. But at the shows especially NLOTH went over so well! And Breathe would go down well too if it's not the opener!

I think they knew the album was a bit stillborn late into the Euro 2009 dates.

Whether music video, radio play, movie placement, TV ad placement, TV show appearances, nothing from this album got a "toe-hold" anywhere. Another option was album re-release with added tracks, sequence shuffle, bonus DVD whatever. Some fluff popstars have done that to revive albums that didn't take hold.

What surprises me was they had balls to do UF, Zooropa, Rejoice, in a Little While, 5-6 unreleased songs etc... But won't touch the other 4 songs from NLOTH and some 360 shows only featured a single song from the album in non-remix form.

I think that Boots, Magnificent, Crazy Tonight, and Moment of Surrender have all worked very well in the shows and I am glad they have stayed in the sets all this time.

I am disappointed that NLOTH and Breathe are gone. I think that NLOTH could have worked well as the opener or even as a song to rotate with Boots nightly. Or, if they could play it every night, I think it would work well in between Elevation and UTEOTW.

Breathe, I think, was dropped quickly because it never reached it's full live potential by the band deciding to have it open the '09 shows. It's not an opening song. They should have brought it back as the closer of the main set.

Unknown Caller probably went away due to the flat responses it received. I was happy to hear that they were trying to rehearse it again in Mexico. I think if they really got it down live, it could be a great song.

Fez/Being Born was one they never played and that made me upset. It could have been perfect as a show opener or as the first song of one of the encores. The band walks on stage as Fez plays and then right as Edge, Larry, Adam scream into the first chords the lights on the center of the Claw explode out (Like in Streets) and Bono pumps up the crowd with that epic screaming he does on the song. I wish they had brought it out.

Stand Up Comedy is one that I think could really have changed people's opinions of the song if it was played live. I know many people did not like it on the album, which is unfortunate. It is a great song and it could have really worked in a live setting, especially under the Claw.

And I think U2 don't care to be on a stage in front of 80,000 people getting lukewarm receptions to the opening song in the set, or seeing people head out on a mass exodus to the bathroom/to get beer during Unknown Caller, one of their favorite songs on the record.

Sometimes I wish U2 would grow a pair when it comes to their own music, I guess I don't care to be in a stadium full of people who "Don't get it" and really as an artist why you choose to cater to the fan who thinks JT is the shit and hasn't bought an album since it came out.

Quitters... /Rant.

:up::up:

Looks like the band rehearsed Stand Up Comedy before Barcelona.

In the Rosebowl DVD documentary it has a closeup of 2 setlists. The one that's got guitar pedal preset references(?) for Dallas has "Stand Up" visible.

IMO, Magnificent and GOYB are complete duds live. The only reason they remain in the set now is because if they don't at least play a few songs from NLOTH, then they truly are a nostalgia act. However, I'm completely happy with the fact that last night U2 dropped "Mag" and added "Fly", even though the latter is 20 years old. I'd be completely satisfied if it stayed that way the rest of the tour, and wouldn't feel like I was seeing a nostalgia act at all. I'd say keep Breathe and NLOTH and ditch the Mag and GOYB, as I felt they were better live, but those were the singles and the songs people are most likely to know... kinda.

I wonder if on U2's next tour they'll still play 6+ songs from the new album or not?

Unlike most others here (or at least it would seem), I found the removal of UC to be a major disappointment. It's my fav track on NLOTH and I absolutely adored it live. It's one of those songs I keep hoping they'll bring back.

GOYB rocks the house, IMHO. People in the pit and even in the upper tiers last night in Anaheim sure seemed to enjoy it anyway. I dont see it making a return next tour, though. I sorely miss NLOTH, my favorite live song from the last album. Killer song...

The only 2 Elevation shows to have less than 6 songs from ATYCLB (5) was Glasgow night 2, and Slane night 2, both missing IALW and NY.

Kite was added to the show late, and IALW was eventually dropped, so many shows on had only 6 songs.

*EDIT Manchester Night 2 also had 5 ATYCLB songs. Walk On was cut due to technical difficulties during the end of "One", the previous song. Rather than wait to fix the issue, they just called it a night, as Walk On was to be the final song anyway.

U2 Setlist - Calgary AB - Apr 10, 2001 - U2tours.com

Calgary 2nd night only had 5 ATYCLB songs. 9th show of the tour.
**Elevation
**Beautiful Day
Until the End of the World
New Year's Day
**Stuck In a Moment
Gone
Even Better Than the Real Thing
**New York
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Sweetest Thing
The Ground Beneath Her Feet