All complaints about the setlist HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At first I was all:

keep.jpg

But then I was all:

2mza8b8.gif

I can only speak for me, but I think yesterday you said something about the unhappy opinions being belittled, so then when you commented about "making a joke out of the complaints," it seemed like you were talking about that again. :)

But I hear you about being caught up in it. I always start off being all "Oh well, it is what it is, I'm not going to let it bother me" and then four hours later I start getting all worked up and pissy. :lol:

Agreed, I could have worded it better. It does get easy to take things personally and get worked up over nothing. Sometimes it can be fun if its constructive and intelligent, sometimes it becomes a complete drain. This thread has done both at times.

I guess I should reiterate. I DO NOT CONSIDER MYSELF A VICTIM! :) Its a message board about U2, there is nothing to be victimized about. I guess showing respect for others opinions was where I was coming from. Not being a victim. Maybe thats a fine line. :shrug: :)

I think it's safe to say a lot of us go through this same cycle every time a new tour / tour leg rolls around. :wink:

I'm actually starting to get a little pissed off that they haven't brought back Fast Cars. WTF.

And in most circles I'm known as a blind sheep.

Honestly, I'm amazed they played it on Vertigo. A highlight when it was done on that tour for sure. I was fortunate to see it done myself. :up:

I didn't see it at any of my 6 shows.

But I did get the Zoo TV encore and not the acoustic one at all those shows, and I was really happy about that, so it all evened out. :wink:

IALW every night = :yawn:
Stuck every night = :yawn::yawn:
Miss Sarajevo = :yawn: (played that to death last tour)
MLK every night = :yawn::yawn::yawn:

same shit every night = :yawn:

UV was a good addition. HMTMKMKM is ok. a new song is better than nothing, but id prefer something that wasnt a single, since 95% of the songs on the tour are singles.

360 tour 3rd leg so far = :yawn:

They haven't played Stuck yet in 2010. I'm starting to miss it.

I was watching Mick Jagger do it last night on the RnRHOF HBO special. I think I could learn to like it if Bono could move around like Mick.

I saw the premiere of Fast Cars. You could have knocked me over with a feather, I was so shocked. Totally unexpected.

I have some minor nitpicks about this setlist, but in the grand scheme of things, meh, none of them are a big deal. I'll still go and be absolutely bowled over, and thrilled to be there.

But if I had one general complaint, it would be the static-ness of the setlist overall. In saying this, I do realize that there's a trade off when it comes to huge, dynamic, spectacle-type tours, and that's that they can't/don't/won't allow themselves much flexibility from night to night. You can argue about the reasons for this till the cows come home, but my point is, it's true for the most part.

Contrast that with the Vertigo tour. I saw 8 shows on the 3rd leg, and it was one of the most diverse periods of the entire tour as far as the setlist was concerned. It felt like anything was possible during that time, and that added to the excitement. There were some really fun, spontaneous moments.

As cool as the claw is, I think the band and the production people are constrained by it, for whatever reason. That's why my preference will always be for a smaller, less flashy tour, ala Elevation or Vertigo. And I do realize that it's a personal preference thing.

I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I've been loving the stadium show itself. When they first said it would be stadiums, I was very much :| about it. Give me a smaller venue where there's no possibility of being rained on, any day.

But hot damn if I'm not completely in love with the Claw (I'd love it if they made it do even more cool, shiny things). So on the one hand, I'm happy they gave me something so awesome to look at and drool over to make up for feeling like an ant in a crowd.

Honestly, I love the claw, I've loved the stadium atmosphere, hell I don't even have a problem with many of the songs people complain about, i.e. Elevation, WOWY, MW. I don't even care if they open with BD, but please don't take out UF and UTEOW and keep IALW. I probably wouldn't even be pissed if they took out UF and UTEOW and replaced them with NLOTH and UC or even Breathe. I just can't understand how they can think that was a good move. Hell, what about Stay, bring that back, but IALW?? Forget the fucking space station that guy's not even on it anymore.

Honestly, I love the claw, I've loved the stadium atmosphere, hell I don't even have a problem with many of the songs people complain about, i.e. Elevation, WOWY, MW. I don't even care if they open with BD, but please don't take out UF and UTEOW and keep IALW. I probably wouldn't even be pissed if they took out UF and UTEOW and replaced them with NLOTH and UC or even Breathe. I just can't understand how they can think that was a good move. Hell, what about Stay, bring that back, but IALW?? Forget the fucking space station that guy's not even on it anymore.

:lol: But see, that's the thing (hearkening back to Tim Wallach's post a few pages back), for every person who hates IALW, you'll find another person who loves it. And the same can be said for pretty much every song. The only thing that people in this thread are in agreement about is that the setlist could be improved. The desired improvements are almost as varied as the people posting here.

I don't even know what my point is. I guess that it seems to me that complaining about the setlist is sort of an exercise in futility. They will never create everyone's perfect setlist, so I think they try to split the difference and make sure most people are relatively happy, mostly the casual fans who make up the bulk of stadium audiences.

And for the record, I'd be much more okay with IALW if they removed the damned astronaut from the performance.

Shit, I don't even care about the astronaut, let him sing during some other fucking song.

There is no point to this setlist bitching, but it sure feels good to vent. :wink:

I think if this setlist has any problems it's that the band is trying too much to incorporate relative unexpected (well, very unexpected until this tour) songs
:shrug:

I hope the other part also showed how much of a victim you are in this thread

I'll say one thing for you, Salome: if everyone were like you, threads like this wouldn't exist. That's a nice thought.

:up:

I think it was Axver who said on Twitter that they have the space station guy saying the the best lyrics of the song.

I'll say one thing for you, Salome: if everyone were like you, threads like this wouldn't exist. That's a nice thought.
well, to elaborate on my previous post
if the band didn't feel they need to include songs like Miss Serajevo and Unforgettable Fire then they could more easily pick a song like Bullet the Blue Sky or Pride which would help keep up the energy during certain parts of the show
now, Unforgettable Fire is one of my personal favourites so I don't want to see it go, but it would help the band with getting the setlist right
not better for me personally, but flowing in a more natural way
well IMO

the forum would be infinitely better if everyone was like me
hell, the entire world would be a better place

All this setlist bitching and moaning could only mean one thing:

Must be that time of the month again,hey?

:wink:

:lol: But see, that's the thing (hearkening back to Tim Wallach's post a few pages back), for every person who hates IALW, you'll find another person who loves it. And the same can be said for pretty much every song. The only thing that people in this thread are in agreement about is that the setlist could be improved. The desired improvements are almost as varied as the people posting here.

I don't even know what my point is. I guess that it seems to me that complaining about the setlist is sort of an exercise in futility. They will never create everyone's perfect setlist, so I think they try to split the difference and make sure most people are relatively happy, mostly the casual fans who make up the bulk of stadium audiences.

And for the record, I'd be much more okay with IALW if they removed the damned astronaut from the performance.
I think the focus of the discussion about the tour (not only about the setlist) should be another.
That's why we give freedom to users like BVS or KUEFC09U2 to preach and moan against everyone who has critical thinking independent of the fact that they're U2 fans as well. Because they're doing it against something that's personal.

That's why when I write against the presence of some of the hits, it's not because I don't want hits (for the hundredth time, nothing against it), it's because most of them is not doing anything on the setlist besides crowdpleasing to an audience that probably don't even know "Moment Of Surrender" or "MLK". Specially performed with such a lack of spirit, just for the pure deliverance of the public. Just because.

This is just a mere example of what's wrong in this setlist. And it's not a question of personal taste. It's a question of artistic sensibility.
And U2 has been loosing it.
Want an example? Having let the stage concept (conceived years ago) taking a clear direction (or the lack of it) of NLOTH and, worse, the absolute no connection between the album and the tour.

...No surprises why they have 4 very different directions (none of them pretty clear or finished besides SOA... curiously, the one that will give less money to the U2 machine) for their next project!

I think the focus of the discussion about the tour (not only about the setlist) should be another.
That's why we give freedom to users like BVS or KUEFC09U2 to preach and moan against everyone who has critical thinking independent of the fact that they're U2 fans as well. Because they're doing it against something that's personal.

That's why when I write against the presence of some of the hits, it's not because I don't want hits (for the hundredth time, nothing against it), it's because most of them is not doing anything on the setlist besides crowdpleasing to an audience that probably don't even know "Moment Of Surrender" or "MLK". Specially performed with such a lack of spirit, just for the pure deliverance of the public. Just because.

There's something wrong with pleasing the more casual fan, who makes up the vast majority of the audience in stadiums? I bet they'd disagree.

U2 has resurrected some deep cuts and now has added some brand new material for the first time in forever. It's not like they've done nothing for the hardcore fans.

This is just a mere example of what's wrong in this setlist. And it's not a question of personal taste. It's a question of artistic sensibility.
Want an example? Having let the stage concept (conceived years ago) taking a clear direction (or the lack of it) of NLOTH and, worse, the absolute no connection between the album and the tour.

Whose artistic sensibilities? What about the band's? What about people who disagree with you? Is their sensibility out of whack, making yours superior? Art IS subjective.

Yes, the structure of the stage was conceived of years ago, but do you think they knew exactly what they were going to do with it, how they were going to present it, light it, back when they were in the early planning stages? I doubt it. You don't see a common theme between the album and the tour? Space/time/infinity/possiblities? Huh. I do. Probably a bit looser than some of the previous tours, but it's there.

...No surprises why they have 4 very different directions (none of them pretty clear or finished besides SOA... curiously, the one that will give less money to the U2 machine) for their next project!

Okay, I have a strong feeling that the "4 projects" comment was probably made as an offhand comment during the interview, and people sort of grabbed it and read way too much into it. I don't think they're literally working equally on these 4 projects. In fact, isn't Superman done now? Then there was a club mixes/DJ type record, right? Sounds to me like something one or two of them might have dabbled in, but it doesn't sound like something in line to be a serious release. Then there's the rock album which probably refers to the Rick Rubin material, and then there's SOA. I think of those, SOA is a little more likely, but I guess the Rubin stuff could be valid too, probably if Edge pulled it out and took another look at it during Bono's recovery period. But anyway, to point to that comment and to take it as "the band is scattered now, they don't even know wtf they're doing anymore!" :panic: is kind of an overreaction in my opinion. I'm glad that they're dabbling, if they in fact are. Hopefully the best ideas will rise to the top and inspire them further, and we'll get some kickass new material out of it. :up:

Look at me, engaging in a futile exercise. I think it's probably time for me to exit this thread. :)

That's why we give freedom to users like BVS or KUEFC09U2 to preach and moan against everyone who has critical thinking independent of the fact that they're U2 fans as well.

Oh, please do tell... where have I done this?

You're the reason why we have the label 'art snob' and why so many roll their eyes. You take a few art classes and then judge someone else's "artistic sensibility" as if it's fact. It's a contradiction.

You do realize ZooTV stage concept was conceived seperately from the album, right? Maybe you just don't get it?

There's something wrong with pleasing the more casual fan, who makes up the vast majority of the audience in stadiums? I bet they'd disagree.

U2 has resurrected some deep cuts and now has added some brand new material for the first time in forever. It's not like they've done nothing for the hardcore fans.

Whose artistic sensibilities? What about the band's? What about people who disagree with you? Is their sensibility out of whack, making yours superior? Art IS subjective.

Yes, the structure of the stage was conceived of years ago, but do you think they knew exactly what they were going to do with it, how they were going to present it, light it, back when they were in the early planning stages? I doubt it. You don't see a common theme between the album and the tour? Space/time/infinity/possiblities? Huh. I do.

Okay, I have a strong feeling that the "4 projects" comment was probably made as an offhand comment during the interview, and people sort of grabbed it and read way too much into it. I don't think they're literally working equally on these 4 projects. In fact, isn't Superman done now? Then there was a club mixes/DJ type record, right? Sounds to me like something one or two of them might have dabbled in, but it doesn't sound like something in line to be a serious release. Then there's the rock album which probably refers to the Rick Rubin material, and then there's SOA. I think of those, SOA is a little more likely, but I guess the Rubin stuff could be valid too, probably if Edge pulled it out and took another look at it during Bono's recovery period. But anyway, to point to that comment and to take it as "the band is scattered now, they don't even know wtf they're doing anymore!" :panic: is kind of an overreaction in my opinion. I'm glad that they're dabbling, if they in fact are. Hopefully the best ideas will rise to the top and inspire them further, and we'll get some kickass new material out of it. :up:

Look at me, engaging in a futile exercise. I think it's probably time for me to exit this thread. :)

1) When U2 brings such a complex stage that could offer zillions of possibilities for a great concept and they can't decide whether being conceptual and making a true compromise with it (Zoo Tv did) or delivering a rock concert (like Elevation did), there's no miracles. With something like what 360 could offer, they can't have half of one and half of the other and leaving each side with an empty taste.

2) If they were already planning that stage long ago, that means that their first commitment should've been with it. That should be the focus of that were going to happen next. Didn't happen.

3) Besides what you ennumerated, I don't see any aesthetics in common between a megalomaniac spaceship that looks like a claw of an animal and an album that is half-way between atmosphere and muscle riffs that, supposedly, was sung through characters and not necessarily Bono's ego.
That link you made between NLOTH and 360 is too vague.
And, again, U2 couldn't commit with the concept. Wanted a spaceship and to talk about space and spaceships? I'm not saying they had to dress as astronaults or aliens but WTF is the band doing when appear dressed on stage like they went for a promenade, for example?

I hope you're right about the 4-project issue. But that's definitely not the vibe that I get after all these months/years of shelved/recovered projects/songs... That don't seem to have much in common (in fact, as much as I think NLOTH is one of their best albums, it doesn't have much coesion sonically).

Back
Top Bottom