WHY bring back a lottery system?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First, why do you think management is responsible for the lottery? Other than supposedly making the possibility of the best spots available to everyone, what other reason does the lottery exist from a business standpoint?

Second, I have some bad news for you; when it comes to U2, they are management.

I don't think the band push for it but management. U2 went along with it. That makes it sound that its official. I won't comment any further. Business standpoint was to satisfy the venues to stop camping out for shows. They do not want to take a risk of something going wrong outside at night. It doesn't stop people from camping out but they want camping out to be a few people not a hundred plus each night.

If that's the case, then they need to come up with a new format, because obviously it hasn't stopped lining up or camping out. Like, oh ..... Bruce Springsteen's GA policy!

I'm sure that's been mentioned once or twice. :shifty:

people are going to camp out regardless – although, I guess it cuts down on some of that :hmm:

I'm not saying you are wrong it's just been said over and over again that the band wanted this to keep the faces fresh at the front of the stage...

If that's the case, then they need to come up with a new format, because obviously it hasn't stopped lining up or camping out. Like, oh ..... Bruce Springsteen's GA policy!

oh a few hundred times in this thread alone I think.. u would think the band would of read up on this thread by now..:tsk:

get a clue U2! sheesh..:wink:

No one camp's out for Bruce's policy and its possible to get into the pit every night.

Trust me I have been to 31 U2 shows and 25 Springsteen shows. Springsteen's policy is a breeze. Easily can get into the pit almost every night. U2 its harder to get in.

No one camp's out for Bruce's policy and its possible to get into the pit every night.

Trust me I have been to 31 U2 shows and 25 Springsteen shows. Springsteen's policy is a breeze. Easily can get into the pit almost every night. U2 its harder to get in.

I think she meant this in her post, that with Bruce's policy the camping out would go away. Yes, his system is the best one out there IMO. And really U2 should be implementing this system as well but I have my SERIOUS doubts we'll ever see it.

people are going to camp out regardless – although, I guess it cuts down on some of that :hmm:

I'm not saying you are wrong it's just been said over and over again that the band wanted this to keep the faces fresh at the front of the stage...

:up:

We can go round and round about this all we want. At the end of the day, it's a system and all systems are prone to abuse. Whether one or the other is more or less prone to abuse is really all that is at issue here, so it seems pointless to me to argue it.

its funny the sense of entitlement on here, that you deserve the same chance to be in the front when you stroll right before the show starts in a GA concert. that is not how GA works anywhere else in the world, whether sporting events, concerts, whatever. its always who lines up first, everywhere.

at least with Springsteen's system you are doing away with the need to lineup early. U2's lottery doesn't even do that. its pretty much worthless.

If* If you know that there's a lottery system and still choose to line up, then you've got no right to complain if you don't get inside the ellipse/heart/crab.

i half way agree with this. yes, if it's announced prior, it will be helpful to all and it's on us if we line up. however, the point many of us are making here is that regardless of the lottery you still had to line up/camp out to get inside or rail...for the most part. if when you didn't, and took a chance with the lottery, you would STILL see the same 10 people up front.....so it didn't cut back on that at all.

as a matter of fact (and i will STAND BY THIS til my dying day) i saw more of the same faces up front on vertigo than i ever did on elevation or popmart. :scratch: but hey, that goes back to the whole thing being run improperly and being a joke!

LOL, I've never seen the Fans Camping Out thread before. I'm up to page three and I've been called :coocoo: five times and a loser once (by Mr Brau, of all people.)

I was one of the campers.

I don't think I'll read the rest of that thread.

:lol:

i think you and i have way too much in common when it comes to this!

ps sorry everybody..... i just posted like 5 times, but i'm catching up! ok...done now!

i really need to start quoting several items at a time. but....i'm lazy! :lol:

Lazy isn't a good excuse for not using multi-quote, because instead of hitting "quote" three times and replying three times, you hit the other button three times and reply in one comment.

It's the same amount of work. ;)

Lazy isn't a good excuse for not using multi-quote, because instead of hitting "quote" three times and replying three times, you hit the other button three times and reply in one comment.

It's the same amount of work. ;)

wait....multi quote? huh? :huh:

didn't anyone ever tell you i don't know how to use interference? it took me 5 years of lurking to become a member and 3 years after that to learn how to post a picture as a signature or change my avatar!! now, what is this "multi-quote" of which you speak? :reject:

is it more like a "multi-pass!" :lol: sorry old movie reference!!

i half way agree with this. yes, if it's announced prior, it will be helpful to all and it's on us if we line up. however, the point many of us are making here is that regardless of the lottery you still had to line up/camp out to get inside or rail...for the most part. if when you didn't, and took a chance with the lottery, you would STILL see the same 10 people up front.....so it didn't cut back on that at all.

as a matter of fact (and i will STAND BY THIS til my dying day) i saw more of the same faces up front on vertigo than i ever did on elevation or popmart. :scratch: but hey, that goes back to the whole thing being run improperly and being a joke!

Well now you just basically negated your own argument. In other words, it really doesn't matter what system they try to implement, where there's a will, there's a way. :wink:

This is the Springsteen policy for the show I'm going to. I'd be willing to bet that there would still be some U2 fans who would still camp out anyway-and well we know about the wristband tampering part...

Guests will be permitted to have a reasonable amount of food and non-alcoholic beverages while in line (no bottles, cans or food will be allowed in the building). Sales and or vending in the line will not be permitted. Please help us keep the area clean by using trash receptacles.

On the day of the show, sequentially numbered wristbands will be distributed beginning at 2:00 PM. Wristbands will be distributed until 1 Hour prior to doors (5:00 PM).

The purpose of the Lottery System is to insure that all GA patrons have the same chance of being first in line. Camping-Out Overnight is strictly prohibited and under this system completely unnecessary. Our goal is to insure the safety or our patrons. Please help us by following these guidelines.

Only GA ticket holders with a valid GA ticket in their possession will be permitted in the line.

After verification of a GA Ticket a wristband will be issued and affixed to the patron's right wrist. Each patron will receive 1 wristband only. The wristband must remain on the GA ticket holders right wrist at all times and must be in possession of a valid ticket at all times. Any GA ticket holder found with a tampered wristband will have that wristband confiscated, and the GA ticket holder will lose their sequential place in the line.

Wrist banded patrons may leave the premises but must return 1 hour (5:00 PM) before doors.

A starting number will be randomly picked at 5:15 PM (45 minutes prior to doors). A patron will draw the starting number. This number will be announced and displayed at the gate.

The patron wearing the wristband that matches the starting number will be first in line.

All other patrons with GA tickets and a wristband should begin lining-up sequentially behind that patron. GA ticket holders will be admitted in sequential order once the doors are opened (scheduled for 6:00 PM for GA ticket holders). All patrons will be searched; tickets will be scanned, marked and torn upon entry.

Anyone who receives a numbered wristband prior to doors has a chance to be first in line to enter the Front Area, but a wristband does not guarantee a place in the Front Area.

A wristband and a GA ticket are required to enter the Front GA Area.

didn't anyone ever tell you i don't know how to use interference? it took me 5 years of lurking to become a member and 3 years after that to learn how to post a picture as a signature or change my avatar!! now, what is this "multi-quote" of which you speak? :reject:

No, nothing like Multi Pass, I promise.

You know where the quote button is, obviously. The button next to it, which is just a picture of quotation marks, is what you use to multiquote. If you have multiple posts you want to respond to, you just hit the " button on each of the posts you have something to say about, and then when you get to the last one you want to quote, then you hit that original quote button.

Then it brings up your reply box with all the quotes gathered for you, and you just punch in your replies.

:)

No, nothing like Multi Pass, I promise.

You know where the quote button is, obviously. The button next to it, which is just a picture of quotation marks, is what you use to multiquote. If you have multiple posts you want to respond to, you just hit the " button on each of the posts you have something to say about, and then when you get to the last one you want to quote, then you hit that original quote button.

Then it brings up your reply box with all the quotes gathered for you, and you just punch in your replies.

:)

it's official...i'm dumb! :doh: :lol:

haha...thanks!

with the amount of campers that arrive in the country that U2 are playing but not in the campers's country, guess they need a place to stay....or just wait until u2 visit your own country!

do that many people really camp out overnight??? and why would you want to do it?? I'm obviously getting old- would rather sleep in a comfy bed in a hotel!

have never really seen it happen anywhere other than a small handful of folk doing it for Madonna's Confessions Tour at the Paris Bercy last time- for H&S reasons I doubt many places will allow it

The lottery system is fine with me. Getting a good spot shouldn't be a physical endurance contest.

Nor should it be contingent upon your current state of family and household affiars -- those that can NOT camp out for days and wait hours in line due to work, medical conditions, kids soccer games or whatever should not be at a disadvantage to those that can.

Besides, IMHO it's a total waste of human energy and effort: go volunteer for a day somewhere and then line up before the show.

Nor should it be contingent upon your current state of family and household affiars -- those that can NOT camp out for days and wait hours in line due to work, medical conditions, kids soccer games or whatever should not be at a disadvantage to those that can.

Besides, IMHO it's a total waste of human energy and effort: go volunteer for a day somewhere and then line up before the show.
I don't really buy this. U2 tours happen so infrequently that I rearrange my schedule to line up for shows. I take time off work, skip classes, etc. I make the GA line my priority a few times every four years or so. If others have other priorities, great. That doesn't entitle you to get in front of people who have put in the time in line. Get a seat if you have other obligations.

I hate the principle of the lottery. I think it sucks. I understand why they do it, but I still think it's super lame. And I'm still going to spend a whole day in line, and I don't consider it a waste of energy.

I think Springsteen's system is the best because although it is random it means that to be in the front area you need to line up by the time doors open. What I would hate about U2's system is that anyone who shows up even while U2 are on stage could still get in to the front area

I don't really buy this. U2 tours happen so infrequently that I rearrange my schedule to line up for shows. I take time off work, skip classes, etc. I make the GA line my priority a few times every four years or so. If others have other priorities, great. That doesn't entitle you to get in front of people who have put in the time in line. Get a seat if you have other obligations.

I hate the principle of the lottery. I think it sucks. I understand why they do it, but I still think it's super lame. And I'm still going to spend a whole day in line, and I don't consider it a waste of energy.

:up: :rockon: :hug:

Work and classes are different than skipping a 5 year old's soccer game; I've done both and the former is a lot easier.

Get a seat? $55 GA or $95 to $250 for a decent seat -- not even.

The lottery does entitle me or others in front of you in line IF and ONLY IF the 'rules of engagment about a lottery' are published in advance. Now, you have a case here if you purchased GA today and were absolutely convinced that it would be "first come, first served" versus a lottery because after a breif perusal of TM it does not appear they have indicated "GA Field Means Lottery" anywhere in the Event Info etc. But, given the recent tour history, I'd say it is a fair assumption to make that their will be a lottery for GA or perhaps a modified one that copies Springsteen - and you clearly know this and chose GA / get in line anyway. It's all good, your going, and so am I.

You don't think it is a waste energy, I do, and we can agree to disagree.

Work and classes are different than skipping a 5 year old's soccer game; I've done both and the former is a lot easier.

Get a seat? $55 GA or $95 to $250 for a decent seat -- not even.

The lottery does entitle me or others in front of you in line IF and ONLY IF the 'rules of engagment about a lottery' are published in advance. Now, you have a case here if you purchased GA today and were absolutely convinced that it would be "first come, first served" versus a lottery because after a breif perusal of TM it does not appear they have indicated "GA Field Means Lottery" anywhere in the Event Info etc. But, given the recent tour history, I'd say it is a fair assumption to make that their will be a lottery for GA or perhaps a modified one that copies Springsteen - and you clearly know this and chose GA / get in line anyway. It's all good, your going, and so am I.

You don't think it is a waste energy, I do, and we can agree to disagree.
I meant that you shouldn't be entitled to walk in front of others who have waited in line all day if you choose not to line up. I understand that with the lottery in place, it's within the rules to do so. I disagree with the concept of it.

The price argument doesn't really fly. There are $30 seats at every venue, and some shows have $55 seats as well. For Vertigo, many of the upper level seats were in the $50 range, if I remember correctly. I understand not wanting to sit up there. I don't. If I couldn't afford a good seat and couldn't line up, I'd be happier hanging out at the back of the field with a GA ticket. But there are seats that are the same price or cheaper than GA -- no lining up required.

As for the soccer game thing... yet another reason for not having a kid? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom