Where will they rehearse ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the tour is starting in Europe as rumoured then I would guess they'd rehearse in Dublin. Although London might be a possibility too.

Definitely Canada again for the US leg. Some complex thing in US tax law that keeps you from paying certain taxes if you dont spend more than X amount of time in country.

That is rehersals and border shows like Buffalo or Seattle, though. The rumours that U2 are money grubbing assholes who get on the private tour jet to Canada when in DC or Boston for 2 or 3 nights are complete BS.

As for the European leg, Dublin or the South of Francewhen the weather gets better.

Based on what was said on Fanning's show just now (where they interviewed some people from El Salvador who met the band in their rehearsals, and got to see NLOTH and another unnamed song from the album being rehearsed), they are rehearsing in Hanover Quay presently.

Their going to rehearse for at least 8 weeks before the first show no question about that. They have April and most of May off definitely. June will be rehearsal after rehearsal to get a feel of the stage and work out the rust on some of the songs and which chord will Bono be singing this tour. So that will effect the Edge's guitar song. Personally I did not like the Vertigo tour how some of the songs were reworked. Loved the Elevation tour sound better.

Definitely Canada again for the US leg. Some complex thing in US tax law that keeps you from paying certain taxes if you dont spend more than X amount of time in country.

That is rehersals and border shows like Buffalo or Seattle, though. The rumours that U2 are money grubbing assholes who get on the private tour jet to Canada when in DC or Boston for 2 or 3 nights are complete BS.

They may only need one rehearsal if it's only a 2 or so weeks off between Europe and USA. It's still uncertain how many shows are arenas/stadiums. They only did 2-3 rehearsals(some without Bono) in Brussels when they moved from arenas to stadiums in 2005.

In 1997, 2001, 2005(probably 1992 & 1987 as well) they had to be careful how many days they were in the US since they had 2 tour legs within a calendar year. For some off days they went to Canada or Mexico, especially in 2005 when the pattern was 2 days off/2 days on. Due to airport "parking" fees their plane has to be "wheels up" at midnight when they leave the city or skip the country.

I think the magic number was 120 days in the US. 4 months by regular count, or 6 months worth of touring in the US if they have days off in Canada/Mexico. In 2001 they tacked on 2 weeks of shows at the last minute - they had to be headed out of country by midnight(encore - limo/car - plane ready for take off) They also did 3 shows in a row twice in the final stint, something they hadn't done since Zoo or earlier.

actually they're not complete B.S. they did spend their down time between shows in canada.

they played philly on a saturday, played new jersey on a wednesday/thursday... they spent the inbetween time in canada.

when they're playing multiple shows in the same venue they stay in the city, but when there was a break between shows, they'd go back to canada for tax purposes.

They'll rehearse at the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein, people. :wink:

They also did 3 shows in a row twice in the final stint, something they hadn't done since Zoo or earlier.

They did three shows in a row in Buenos Aires on Popmart: 5, 6, and 7 February 1998.

actually they're not complete B.S. they did spend their down time between shows in canada.

they played philly on a saturday, played new jersey on a wednesday/thursday... they spent the inbetween time in canada.

when they're playing multiple shows in the same venue they stay in the city, but when there was a break between shows, they'd go back to canada for tax purposes.

At the very beginning of the Vertigo tour, they were flying back to Mexico after almost every show, even when playing 2 nights in a row in the case of Anaheim.

IMO U2 will do a few weeks of band rehearsal not visible for the public... in the meantime the show will be prepared and they might do some show practice also not visible for the public. ....to get the feel of the stage, they will probably rehearse the show on site in the days before the first show....... ...I wish I was living in Barcelona... I would take a week or so off before the shows.... I bet they'll rehearse in the stadium a few days...

I think they should rehearse in my backyard. They can stay at my house. I'm sure the neighbors won't mind. :lol:

My guess is they will do studio rehearsals all at Hanover Quay. They will do more than a few days with the stage itself for the opening of a tour. They have to work out the lighting, feel, pacing, what works on the stage what doesnt feel right, etc. Also keep in mind this is the first time they have done the full "in the round" set up. They will need to get comfortable with that arrangement. That will be more than a few days most likely and it typically has been for the beginning of a tour. You are looking at most likely a week to 3 to 4 days of rehearsals on the actual stage. My guess is that will happen someplace in Europe obviously. My guess would be a stadium that has a roof on it.

My guess is they will do studio rehearsals all at Hanover Quay. They will do more than a few days with the stage itself for the opening of a tour. They have to work out the lighting, feel, pacing, what works on the stage what doesnt feel right, etc. Also keep in mind this is the first time they have done the full "in the round" set up. They will need to get comfortable with that arrangement. That will be more than a few days most likely and it typically has been for the beginning of a tour. You are looking at most likely a week to 3 to 4 days of rehearsals on the actual stage. My guess is that will happen someplace in Europe obviously. My guess would be a stadium that has a roof on it.

they need a lot more time to rehearse a stadium show than 3-4 days. they rehearsed for like a month on popmart, and 2-3 weeks for elevation and vertigo (and those were arena shows.) the band can rehearse the music at hanover since tour is opening in europe, but i don't think they will that much. any rehearsal there has prob already been done for the promo shows/letterman. the crew needs weeks to practice setting up and tearing down the stage and loading the trucks. the band probably needs at least 2 weeks in an outdoor venue to see how the sounds are and how the songs translate in a stadium setting, change setlists/work things out etc. i think u can bet on 2-3 weeks in a stadium somewhere in europe.

they need a lot more time to rehearse a stadium show than 3-4 days. they rehearsed for like a month on popmart, and 2-3 weeks for elevation and vertigo (and those were arena shows.) the band can rehearse the music at hanover since tour is opening in europe, but i don't think they will that much. any rehearsal there has prob already been done for the promo shows/letterman. the crew needs weeks to practice setting up and tearing down the stage and loading the trucks. the band probably needs at least 2 weeks in an outdoor venue to see how the sounds are and how the songs translate in a stadium setting, change setlists/work things out etc. i think u can bet on 2-3 weeks in a stadium somewhere in europe.

Nope, they rehearsed for a week on the actual stage for Popmart in Las Vegas. So that is not correct. They will rehearse in studio and probably already are up until they go to the stage set up and always have. If you read my post you will see I'm talking about the actual full production rehearsal on stage. I'm not including studio time. The crew starts with the stage typically about a week (a little less sometimes) before the band arrives. Not saying its not possible, but U2 have never rehearsed, on the stage, for a full two weeks or more for a stadium production, ever.

I would venture a guess that they will take a little time off(1-2 weeks)to be with their family in April and early May,but by mid May all the way until the start of the tour I think they will be rehearsing for it.I remember in 1997 Oakland,Ca me and my friend took a BART train right buy the stadium the night before just to hear what the band was going to rehearse.We probably stayed for about a half hour and heard Gone,Last Night On Earth,Even Better Than The Real Thing,and believe it or not Stay a full band version which unfortunately did not make the show but sounded amazing.

The news here is that U2 have hired the Noucamp (Barcelona's stadium) for two weeks previous to the two consecutive concerts on the 29th and 30th of June that will open the tour.

lather, rinse, repeat

During the Philly shows, they went back and forth to NY, not Canada. They often set up bases where they have places, like NY. See more below.

The news here is that U2 have hired the Noucamp (Barcelona's stadium) for two weeks previous to the two consecutive concerts on the 29th and 30th of June that will open the tour.

Bingo. Expect them to Leave Dublin for Barcelona and set up base in Nice. They will bounce back and forth between Nice and Barcelona until the tour starts, and then do a show, then go back to Nice.

In the U.S. they will most likely use NY, Miami and LA as bases.

Why is not a day between opening shows, like past tours. They have been vocal about it's benefits and suggested other groups follow suit.

They've announced 30th June as the opening date. I can't see any additional date being put on before that. Maybe the 2nd July before a visit to Valencia on the 3rd?

2 nights at the Camp Nou. :hyper:

They've announced 30th June as the opening date. I can't see any additional date being put on before that. Maybe the 2nd July before a visit to Valencia on the 3rd?

2 nights at the Camp Nou. :hyper:

I don't know who has announced what you say, I've heard this on a radio programme "Tarda Tardá", Tardá is supposed to be quite close to the band circle and to Universal, he announced two nights in Barcelona 29th and 30th June and a night in Seville on the 3rd of July, he said Madrid and Valencia were left for the second leg next year, the hiring of the Stadium seemed to be comfirmed too.
I was surprised there was nothing about San Sebastián, which has been a favourite town for the band for years, I think there must be something about the stadium size there.
I hope you're right about Valencia, it's much closer to my house than Barcelona or Seville.

Back
Top Bottom