Tour Rumours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Dublin is in Mid July that would be perfect. My birthday present for myself is to see them in Dublin and my birthday is the 25th. The 19th is close enough.

We can go together then. My birthday is the 19th and I have the same plan
:wave:

About any major tour in U2 history started first with the US, AND ended there. So I'd say this is more than fair towards the European people, who supported U2 way before the American people knew who they were.

I agree that it's time to let Europe get their turn first. We've waited a few years; a few more months won't kill anybody. It wouldn't shock me if they did Europe in the summer, the U.S. in the fall, South America and/or Australia/Asia in the winter, and finished the tour with another U.S. leg.

Have we given up on U2 headlining Coachella? If they (U2) were smart, they would do it, especially since it's going to take them such a long time to reach North America. The Coachella line-up announcement has been postponed because Goldenvoice is reportedly still negotiating with one of the headliners.

I've been hearing from firm sources: Brazil, around November this year. Can't wait.

What? No chance in hell they'd do Latin America before North America, making the U.S. wait until 2010. That would be about as commercially smart as charging a negative amount of money for a seat... which they'd probably have to do to fill even arenas in North America if the first U.S. leg is in 2010. Not to mention, they couldn't play stadiums in the Boston, New York, Washington or Chicago in February-March... four of their biggest stadiums markets.

Its funny, because this is the first time that I can remember where I kind of don't care that much about a U2 tour. Maybe its because I'm so fixated on the album release or maybe its because I'm broke. :wink: Usually I lap this stuff up like a dog....but I just can't get myself excited about the tour yet.

I bet once I hear the album and see them performing live then I'll bite. Thanks to everyone for the rumors and stuff. I just can't wait to hear the album. I'm sure the tour will be amazing once I get myself excited about it again.

What? No chance in hell they'd do Latin America before North America, making the U.S. wait until 2010. That would be about as commercially smart as charging a negative amount of money for a seat... which they'd probably have to do to fill even arenas in North America if the first U.S. leg is in 2010. Not to mention, they couldn't play stadiums in the Boston, New York, Washington or Chicago in February-March... four of their biggest stadiums markets.

Why does Brazil in November imply US in 2010? If they're doing stadiums they could easily do a US leg in September/October and then move on.

Maybe they care about their fans more than money now. :love:

U2 opening a tour in Spain and not coming to Madrid? no way.. and going to Seville instead of Valencia and San Sebastian? The Valencian authorities have already confirmed they'll be in Valencia this year, only the dates to be arranged, or so they said. I think we should wait for the official announce.

Well, I'm not sure about the US itinerary, but it seems the Brazilian shows have been set for a long time. In my opinion they could do Europe from June to August and then move to the US from September to November. With late November and early December booked to South America and Australia.

I saw on a major French concert/events site (Agenda Concert And Co des concerts et des festivals en France, Belgique et Suisse.) this morning that U2 would be playing at the Palais Nikaia in Nice on July 15. I called their PR at Universal and tshe said she knew nothing about it. She did tell me though that there were a lot of "speculative" dates and rumors at the moment and that the official tour dates will be announced on U2.com.

I'm amazed to find myself hoping that U2 DON'T start their tour in Europe this summer, but for purely selfish reasons. Child no. 3 is due in early March and so I wouldn't want to be away from the baby even for one night - unless U2 remember that they have fans in Northern Ireland and actually schedule a date here...

Here's a thought though. Everybody's working on the assumption that the tour is going to start soon after the release of the album (fuelled of course by rumours such as in this thread). But is there any reason why that has to be the case? Their usual touring schedule is upended already, and I think we can be confident in saying that there won't be a US indoor leg this spring. So the obvious next timetable step is a European outdoor tour in the summer; that's what the rumours are saying, and 'because that's what they always do'. But would they ever contemplate not actively touring in the summer, and instead doing lots of promotion (including small gigs for radio, TV, competition winners etc), maybe releasing one or possibly two more singles? Then they could start touring in the US this autumn, Far East / Australasia in early 2010, and Europe outdoors that summer.

Even though I doubt my own conjectures, I suppose the question really is: could U2 release an album in March and then wait more than a few months before hitting the road - effectively not doing anything other than keeping their awareness levels high this summer? Why not? HTDAAB was released in November 04 but the tour started roughly five months later (March 05). ATYCLB was released at the end of October 2000, and the tour started in March 2001. I don't want to rely on statistics; too many do on this forum, and my own perception is that the release strategy for NLOTH seems to be something organic, being made up from day to day. I think that the U2 'machine' has been thrown into some confusion by what has to be a delayed album release, so who knows what's actually being planned? I wonder if the album itself has actually been finished yet?!

Any thoughts?

About any major tour in U2 history started first with the US, AND ended there. So I'd say this is more than fair towards the European people, who supported U2 way before the American people knew who they were.

Forget Europe and the States
They should just start the tour in Australia and then go to Africa! :applaud:

:wink:

u2.com flat out sucks when it comes to any relative news about u2. It's been this way from day one and this new album certainly won't change that. I have a membership there for one reason only, presales.. that's it.

Joshua Tree was released in March, and the tour started in April in LV before a summer tour through Europe. Ditto for POP. It's a little weird for them to be taking this tack, as basically they're holding back America until late summer/fall, which is a weird time to do a stadium tour, and is also five months after the album. They've toured five months after the albums in the past, but those were fall releases (with Grammy noms) guaranteed to keep U2 "up front" until the tour. With this schedule, unless they have another HUGE breakout single, I can't see the tour being as successful State-side.

I think we can all agree that the delay of the album has really screwed things up. For all the talk of the faltering U2 machinery, I think it's those four guys from Dublin who really threw things off. God bless 'em.

^ I totally disagree. I don't understand why starting in Europe should be a bad thing for U2. It's not like they're only coming to America in 2010. Like many other artists, they take the tour to Europe first and then take the successful tour to America. It's a reasonable thing to do considering they won't have enough time to rehearse if they start the tour in spring. I doubt there will be stadiums in the US, they will play arena, maybe stadiums next year. If you call a European tour start "screwed up" then I'm sorry to say that the US isn't the only country for U2 to tour in. Europeans deserve a first leg, too, after all these years, there's nothing "screwed up". For other artists, who are big in Europe AND the US, it's totally normal to start in Europe and then go to the US and then to other countries, I don't see why some people make such a big deal about it when it comes to U2. It's not like America owns them.

it is fair.
but obviously european [people supported them before the americans..thats where they are from.

Back
Top Bottom