Tour in March, Vegas start - says Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Potential thread titles:

"How will rising fuel prices affect your U2 tour travel plans?"

"Suggestions for seeing U2 shows during a recession."

"The economy sucks: I hope Bono is okay."

:lol:

or "how to comfortably fit 20 plus people into 1 hotel room"

I wonder if they'll still use their private plane like a minivan

and I do worry about Bono in this economy - it keeps me up at night ;)

:hyper:

YES!!!

A U2 cd out before everyone knows it, and then a tour! I am so willing to go bankrupt over tickets!

(No seriously, I am. Money is tight, but I will do anything to get those GA tickets and see as many shows as possible. And yes, I am totally crazy :D)

Don't worry, the outside world might not understand this way of thinking, but its perfectly acceptable around here.

A European summer tour, this could be great!! I am already excited.

now let's cross fingers they will choose arena's or some decent stadiums. the sound in Amsterdam Arena (Vertigo tour) was horrible!

A European summer tour, this could be great!! I am already excited.

now let's cross fingers they will choose arena's or some decent stadiums. the sound in Amsterdam Arena (Vertigo tour) was horrible!
Yep just go to rotterdam (de kuip). Just as much people can get in it just doesnt have a roof. But id rather be soaked by rain and get a good sound than being soaked by sweat and figure out what im hearing.

OK, Isn't there some pay-for-view money to be made here.
You know for all of those that might not want to fork out big bucks for U2 (you know they are out there) or for those that can't get to multiple concerts, or just one or none for that matter.
I would subscribe for multiple concerts, even if they wern't on the same night.
To see stadium shows in other countries, oh my gawd, I'd pay.
You listening Paul Mc?

In case anyone is interested I found the article that mentioned why U2 didn't add more dates to the Elevation tour. I was reading through some old archives and there was mention of possible summer 2002 dates in Europe (not Australia) but nothing came of that and then I found this article that mentioned the reason being Bono needing a break. Anyway here it is.

Dana

Bono's No to Go-Go

U2 Star Cancels Tour to Rest

The Mirror, March 27, 2002

By Paul Martin

U2 have ditched plans for concerts in Europe this summer because Bono is exhausted.

I can reveal that the band have decided to stay in the recording studio instead and give their lead singer a break from his gruelling schedule. The rockers were set to perform a number of one-off outdoor concerts including a show in Belfast.

But after months of touring and jetting around the world on humanitarian missions Bono has been ordered to take it easy for a while.

A group insider said: "There's only so much that any human being can do and Bono needs some time off.

"In the last month alone he has been in America, Africa, Ireland and the U.K.

"He wants to spend some time with his family.

"The summer concerts were never set in stone so it's not as if they have to make any big cancellations.

"They have had a meeting and decided it would be better to go back into the studio and write new material."

U2 have performed over 100 concerts in the past year.

The star has already written six songs for the new album and material could be released by November.

Fans were hoping for more live concerts this summer after the huge success of the Elevation tour.

But U2 manager Paul McGuinness confirmed that the concerts would not go ahead.

He added: "They will not be touring Europe this summer. Instead they are spending their time in the studio working on new material for a possible release later this year."

Last month the Edge hinted that they would stage a concert in Belfast after missing the city on the Elevation world tour.

He said: "We would love to do a show there if we can get a big promoter behind it. It's a definite possibility."

© The Mirror, 2002. All rights reserved.

Oh dear, I need to finish my studies real quick and find a job! I can't wait for the new album and especially for the tour! :hyper:

I think us European fans should have a gathering too! How about a concert in Dublin or London? Or Berlin? I know I'm gonna have to travel to see the band anyway (even if they did come to Finland I'd love to see them elsewhere, too). Who's with me, raise your hands?! :D

Actually neither of us is probably looking at it right. The way they contract the tours since Popmart is that they have a contract with a worldwide promoter and what they get is set out in that deal. There are various caveats and such but they are pretty much guaranteed at least a minimum amount based on how many dates they do, I think. I remember hearing that they had to do at least 51 of the tour dates on Elevation before their percentage was guaranteed. But what you have to look at is the promoter's costs. They are signed to Live Nation who will handle the entire tour. They are a US company so the weakness of the US dollar currently will make even the European dates less profitable. I don't think our energy costs are really lower it's just that the dollar is very weak now so it may look like we are paying less but my wallet disagrees. European tourists are coming to America in droves to shop and to invest in property because their money goes much farther here. I live in Florida and the one thing keeping the Real Estate market from total collapse here is the number of International investors buying property. There are bus tours specifically set up for these foreigners coming in to buy real estate on the cheap. Live Nation has to be able to make a profit on the gigs for them to be interested in going there. However much the band may want to play somewhere they can't do it if the promoter isn't willing. Point of view makes a big difference. It's one thing to look at the figures for the entire tour and see an overall profit but it is quite another to look at an individual gig, country or even continent and realized the you are basically paying to play. If the economies are weak then merchandise sales will be down which also makes a big impact on whether or not to play a particular area. Consider also that higher costs will mean higher ticket prices and even a band as big as U2 will reach a point where ticket sales will be off. For instance the weather is a factor for outdoor gigs so if you end up with dates cancelled you can very quickly end up in the red. Popmart was barely profitable overall and that was only because merchandising made up the difference but Bono said if 10% less tickets had been sold then they would have lost money. If you start having less than sold out gigs you very quickly end up hurting. Just the other night the news reports here in the US were talking about how airfares have gone up over 300% since last year. When you are transporting a crew over one hundred people that's a huge amount of increase in travel costs. I'm sure ticket prices are going to be much higher for this tour than Vertigo and it won't be because the band is greedy.

Dana

U2 made a $100 million dollar profit from the POPMART tour. That was the guarantee they got from Michael Cohl who promoted the tour. The tour cost $214,000 dollars a day regardless if there was a show or not. The tour grossed $171 million dollars just from ticket sales, and the cost was actually around $70 million dollars which meant Michael Cohl did not have to dip into his own funds to make sure U2 got the $100 million dollar profit they signed on for.

U2's profit margin rose on the Elevation tour as the band went indoors with less cost, and the ticket prices went up substantially.

Despite going outdoors for Big shows on the Vertigo tour with each one of the outdoor gigs averaging about $1.2 million per show and the indoor shows about 1/3 of that, the tour grossed nearly $400 million dollars and yielded the band a the largest profit any artist had ever made on a tour at that point at around $300 million dollars.

I know it might be rough, and it might be weird ... but I think it'd be so great to be at an opening show, just once. I'd of course love to see it later once things have settled and they're in a groove, but still!

I haven't been in this forum since before the last record came out. :reject:

:clearsthroat: Anyway, I swore I'd never do another opening show after San Diego because the show was so bad (for a U2 show, that is--still great, though), and I had my best friend with me who had never seen U2 before and he was actually bored and didn't understand what I had been going on about all these years...but if everyone else is going obviously I have to go. :D

I haven't been in this forum since before the last record came out. :reject:

:clearsthroat: Anyway, I swore I'd never do another opening show after San Diego because the show was so bad (for a U2 show, that is--still great, though), and I had my best friend with me who had never seen U2 before and he was actually bored and didn't understand what I had been going on about all these years...but if everyone else is going obviously I have to go. :D

My situation and point exactly. My wife was bored, and that was in GA. But I'm not doing opening day again.

If the opening show should be in Europe - which it isn't - I would LOVE to see the opening show. I think it's exciting to see the first show of a new tour that no one has seen before. I wouldn't even think twice about it. Of course I'd go and see other shows as well when the tour moves forward, but opening night, that's just really exciting, flaws and all.

If a lot of people are not going because they don't want to go to an opening show, that's even better, because there will be more tickets available.

:happy:

The best part about being at the opening show....is no spoilers...:) Except if you were at the rehearsal too :)

mics, check, recorder, check...hoping they sell shows through iTunes, check

My situation and point exactly. My wife was bored, and that was in GA. But I'm not doing opening day again.

Sorry, I missed your post or I would have just quoted it.

If I have the money when the time comes around, I think I would go and let it be about getting together with the fans I know and like, and let the show be whatever it is. Or I'd try anyway. I wouldn't have the same expectations. I was warned before SD that their opening shows aren't so good but having never seen anything less than a brilliant U2 show I found it impossible to believe. Bono being "off" the day of your show is a sad, sad thing. Fortunately I was able to see a couple of other fantastic shows. If I feel I only have money for one great show, I will probably pass on the opening (unless martha kicks my ass in which case I'll have no choice but to create new debt).

I'm actually thinking about skipping the first U.S. leg entirely. The shows I saw on the third leg of Vertigo were vastly better than the show I saw on the first leg, and it was easier to get tickets then, too. Then again, if I'm really excited by the new album, I might have a hard time waiting that long.

I'm actually thinking about skipping the first U.S. leg entirely. The shows I saw on the third leg of Vertigo were vastly better than the show I saw on the first leg, and it was easier to get tickets then, too. Then again, if I'm really excited by the new album, I might have a hard time waiting that long.

I figure you see stuff early on that gets dropped in later shows...I just need to limit myself to a couple of shows each leg...

If my brain is working:

War Tour = 2 shows
UF Tour = 1
Amnesty = 1
JT Tour = 5
ZOO TV = 5
Pop = 4
Elevation = 8
Vertigo = 10

I did a Popmart show and four Vertigo shows. Unless there's a U.S. leg in the summer, when I'm not teaching, I can't imagine being able to get to more than four or five shows next tour. And really, if they don't mix the set list up too much, I don't think I'd really want to go to more. Again, I'm saying this now, but by the time the next tour actually starts, I'll probably cave :wink:

Back
Top Bottom