Should I skip setlist parties?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopFly

War Child
Ok, here's my dilemma....

Since I've been a fan of U2, I've always kept up with the band's touring and setlists on the internet, so by the time I finally get a chance to see them live (I've attended the Toronto shows on the last three tours), I already have an idea of what songs will be played, what the general look of the stage is like, and what 'surprises' to expect.

I was thinking that for this tour, I should just go on an Interference fast until the Toronto show so that I can experience the NLOTH tour (or whatever it'll be called) totally fresh. On the other hand, I also really enjoy seeing what songs U2 are/aren't playing live, and taking part in the countless debates on this site about the concerts.

What do you think?

It's up to you, my man. Your dollar, your bandwith.

Just make sure to join us after you've seen your show. :wink: I intend to take part in them regularly, and I, for one, would appreciate a few extra posters in those threads. Nothing sadder than a quiet setlist party.

i'd like to see you try! but any die hard u2 fan would fail at this task :p (well maybe not every die hard u2 fan, i would atleast lol)

Setlist parties?

I don't know what a setlist party is but it sounds like something I could totally get down with.

Setlist parties?

I don't know what a setlist party is but it sounds like something I could totally get down with.

We find someone who's going to the show (or some other source, including live feeds) and they relay the setlist information to us, which we keep track of. While we wait, we discuss whatever the fuck we want to discuss.

It's an Interference tradition.

And if the show is insane or they do something out of the ordinary, this place goes nuts, and we could go through several threads in one evening. Back in those days threads only went to 500. I remember getting texted (and even called) many times from various interferencers :drool: Bad from Boston (thanks Rosa!), Instant Karma (thanks Amy), and much more!

GAF/Ashley - get ready! :hyper:

It's an interesting phenomenon, those setlist parties, because worlds collide. The Superthread crowd will be there, the PLEBAns will be there, all of the crazies here in EYKIW/WTAHAN will be there...and all for one common purpose; to find out if the setlist was unusual or not.

I didn't want setlist parties during the last tour either but they still happened to me. They kind of sucked me in. So good luck in resisting.

We find someone who's going to the show (or some other source, including live feeds) and they relay the setlist information to us, which we keep track of. While we wait, we discuss whatever the fuck we want to discuss.

It's an Interference tradition.

Tight. That actually sounds fun. I'll make sure the parties are bumpin' this year.

:camera::madwife::censored::dancing:

Yep, that's pretty much what I expect from a party with GAF, with an added touch of
bong.gif

It's up to you, my man. Your dollar, your bandwith.

Just make sure to join us after you've seen your show. :wink: I intend to take part in them regularly, and I, for one, would appreciate a few extra posters in those threads. Nothing sadder than a quiet setlist party.

Oh, AFTER I attend the concert, I'd absolutely join in to give my two cents. I'm just worried that I'll miss some classic bit of U2 fan trivia that happened at a past show and then if it's referenced or joked about again in years to come, the joke will fly right over my head.

This does sound quite entertaining. Any way of listening in to any of the gigs live? Wouldnt have thought so.

I enjoyed the setlist parties last time around. Especially the early gigs. I'm sure i'll participate in some small way again this year!:wink:

they were cool indeed. staying up late at night to see that they played wowy again. Completely idiotic when you think about it. I can not wait :wink:

I know for sure I can't resist to watch. Although it would be great to attend a gig without knowing most of the songs which will be played.

This does sound quite entertaining. Any way of listening in to any of the gigs live? Wouldnt have thought so.

What we did last time was somebody with Skype called the mobile phone of someone at the gig, then the audio was streamed for the rest of us to listen to. But as ramblin rose mentioned, the sound quality isn't the best ... I tend to think it sounds like U2 are playing at the other end of a wind tunnel, underwater. But with advances in technology over the last four years, we might be able to pull off something better. Possibly even live video. Last tour, gorman sent me some video at shows he saw that I posted online within 20 minutes of U2 performing the song.

Personally, for most bands, I tend to avoid following their sets if they are coming to Australia, as I enjoy the surprise at the concert, but my obligations to U2gigs.com mean that my decision to follow the parties is made for me even if U2 are coming here. Speaking of which, I'll be posting the live setlists on the U2gigs.com main page, so even if the posting's thick and fast in the party threads, the setlist will be easily accessible there. I did that for a few shows last tour, but in retrospect, not as much as I should've.

What was a huge trip for me last tour was the European shows, they happened in the US during working hours and I pretty much got nothing accomplished at work on those days and I was late for all meetings and couldn't wait to get back to my office to see what I missed!

Bring it ON!!!! :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom