Question for multiple show attendees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
This question is aimed at those fans who travel/find accomodation etc at different u2 shows.
If the 2010 legs happen, and they come back to UK to do a number of shows, how much do you think I'd need to save to go to 3-4 shows?
I have no idea of Hotel prices, travel prices etc these days.
Would i be right in thinking about £500 to cover it?

mhh, I haven't made my cash check yet, but I know that I only could see 4 shows this leg because there are some nice people here how let me sleep at their house for free, or we shared a hotel room or booked tickets together for saving the costs. Sometimes this is a bit complicated but I accept it if I'm able to see more shows then.
You could also buy those cheaper tickets but I don't know if this an option for you.
Let's say you will attend two shows in the UK ( and you live close) + 2 shows somewhere else in Europe this will be enough.

What i would hope to is hire a car for say a week....maybe cost about £130, and travel to a few shows (starting with any in Scotland) Got plenty of places to stay, providing any shows are in Glasgow or edinburgh (which is almost a dead cert!). I reckon if i saved £600, that would be enough to let me follow u2 to a number of shows (inc maybe at least one in ireland)

yeah maybe you could find some folks who also go to glasgow after the edinburgh gig ( or vice versa) to share the gas! I would also recommend something like milan I+II or other cities that are played two times to save costs. Booking two nights in the same hotel is sometimes cheaper.

This question is aimed at those fans who travel/find accomodation etc at different u2 shows.
If the 2010 legs happen, and they come back to UK to do a number of shows, how much do you think I'd need to save to go to 3-4 shows?
I have no idea of Hotel prices, travel prices etc these days.
Would i be right in thinking about £500 to cover it?

For me the first idea was to save as much as possible. Now in retrospect, I even have some money left.

What you need to find out for yourself would be, how much quality do you need in a hotel? How much is comfort worth?
I've found that some 2 star hotels are just as good for a tour and so much cheaper than the fancy ones. Effectively it doesn't matter much since all you'll do there is sleep after a gig!

For each show, plus the ticket price also consider the food and drink for in the GA line, possibly inside the stadium and for each day breakfast and such.

Google for hotels in the city of your choice, and start comparing! There'll probably be plenty of compare sites that have various hotels listed. It's up to you to decide wether you want a fancy room with tv and internet and a gold plated bathroom opposed to a bed and a simple bathroom with a shower and a toilet.

Sharing a room with a fellow fan could also be a good option. Or do you know friends who live in the city you want to go to?

For travel the cheapest usually is the train or taking your own car. Or if you're flying in, book well in advance.

For everything you need to book, the best advice I can give you is book EARLY! As soon as the ticketsales start, the scumbags start raising their prices madly. So as soon as we're given tourdates, start booking. It's useful to know where to go by then!

^oh yeah I forgot to say to book flights early. I made some stupid mistakes. I have had a lot of expensive flights. grr!

Oh yes, booking early is always good, especially with flights. I booked all my flights immediately after I had purchased tickets, because many airlines tend to have very cheap tickets if you book a couple of months in advance. Same goes for trains if the city you're going to is within reach by train. For Zagreb we have tickets for 29 euro which is very cheap, but these cheap tickets are usually sold out very quickly.

I'm confused? Are you travelling within the UK?

I am going to 4 UK shows (London, Sheffield, Cardiff).

London is costing £40 hotel for two nights plus train fare. I dunno what that is off-hand but around £30 I reckon. Travel within London will be around £15 and then food will likely be £20 a day. I used to live in London so that gave me an advantage, which I won't have elsewhere.

Sheffield and Cardiff will be car/train trips without an overnight stay. If you based yourself somewhere like Birmingham you could do that pretty easily.

For my trips to Amsterdam & Dublin I spent@
DUBLIN
Spending: £200
Plane: £130
Accommodation: £180
Travel: £30
Tickets: £290

Amsterdam was about the same but more on travel and less on accommodation.

If you are planning on getting seats, bear in mind you will have another day in which you will bleed cash.

if you can travel to/from the concerts but stay at home then that will save a bundle of cash- depends on where you live of course

I'm "commuting" into London for the 2 shows in August (although this is mainly because I cocked up the bookings for my cats to stay at the cattery)

will also depend on where you choose to stay- on the basis that we're not prepared to slum it any longer we had very nice hotels in Barcelona & Dublin- you can cut accomodation costs if you're willing to stay in a youth hostel

Just to clarify....i was intending to go on a wee tour along with the band...ie....follow them on a few shows. Which...living where i do, would mean finding accomodation for each day. I reckon if i was to follow them on say 3 dates away from home...that would mean maybe 5 days expenses for Hotels, food, travel etc. We will assume the tickets had already been accounted for. So I guess what am really asking is.....how much do you think I should allow each day to get by?
I have never booked a hotel in my life. I have no idea how much they are etc (£40 sounds good tho) to try and get an idea . I know there is always google, but thought ad try those who have done it first. Am now thinking if i allow £130 per day for travel, lodgings, food etc....that would be more than enough.

Just to clarify....i was intending to go on a wee tour along with the band...ie....follow them on a few shows. Which...living where i do, would mean finding accomodation for each day. I reckon if i was to follow them on say 3 dates away from home...that would mean maybe 5 days expenses for Hotels, food, travel etc. We will assume the tickets had already been accounted for. So I guess what am really asking is.....how much do you think I should allow each day to get by?
I have never booked a hotel in my life. I have no idea how much they are etc (£40 sounds good tho) to try and get an idea . I know there is always google, but thought ad try those who have done it first. Am now thinking if i allow £130 per day for travel, lodgings, food etc....that would be more than enough.

If you book ahead of time, before everywhere fills up then you will get a reasonable price. Hotels near the venue become super expensive and fully booked very quickly.

£130 a day seems reasonable, but everything depends on what you expect. If you eat sandwiches and water and stay in a hostel you could do it for a fraction of that.

Al eat sarnies and drink water no problem. Would prefer a cheap hotel or B&B to a Hostel tho (av seen the movie:huh:):wink:

:lol: I'd agree with that. I'd rather have a cheap hotel than having to share my room with total strangers!

I usually don't calculate the hotel into my daily spendings, save up prior to the trip for the hotel. If you're only going for 3 or 4 days, I'd say 500 euros would be plenty for all expenses save for tickets. Depending on how far you need to travel ofcourse. Which would come to a little less in pounds since a sterling is about 1.1 euro now. :hmm:

My budget for 10 shows on this tour has come in at 2000GBP which does include being able to drink beer in Paris and Dublin at 6Euro a pint!

Etap hotels are handy if you can find them, they are working out at 35GBP a night, my train travel is free in the UK, so that is where my beer money has come from.

I need to save up for 2010

Etap hotels are good indeed, EXCEPT IN GENEVA. It doesn't have a fuckin' BATHROOM. :| A shower that ends straight into the room and a toilet that doesn't even have a proper door, it's got a closet door without lock.

That's lovely when you're sharing with a male you don't know very well.

But the Ibis(same company) in France was pretty good! Bed and a bathroom, all you essentially need! :up:

Go on expedia or orbitz and do a dry run through. Pick some dates and a hotel and see what the total bill comes too. That might give you a good estimate of how much to save up.

Back
Top Bottom