New Band Hub Touring Model

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have been reading the Willie diaries n U2.com and have noticed in many from the Europe leg that the band was pretty much been taking off after each show and staying in Nice France. I know at least Bono and the Edge have residences there, but it seems like a new model for touring.

Having the band stay in one city and simply fly back and forth to each city makes a lot of sense logistically - it is the FedEx model of everything going through one hub.

I am wondering of they are going to do the same thing in the US.

If I had to guess they would be staying in NYC and then flying to the cities like Chicago, Boston etc and back to NYC.

There is a new clip on U2.com of the band flying from Newark to Chicago together (and it does not show much luggage.) I am wondering if they are staying in NYC because some have residences there (here) and 'commuting' to work...

I guess they would stay overnight in the cities with multiple shows, but go back to the hub between cities rather than bussing/flying the band, families, entourage etc into each city and setting up at different hotels.

Maybe just a hypothesis, but makes some sense to me.

No, they've basically stayed in hotels in almost every city of the European tour but flew to Nizza between the tour stops. A lot of fans met them at the hotels. I saw a video at u2.com this morning that showed the band coming out of their hotel in Chicago. While I think they chose their bases like NY and Nizza for some off time between shows, I still think that it's too stressful for the band to fly forth and back every night.

during vertigo chicago was a hub for all midwest shows. They would fly into the venue city the afternoon of the show and then fly back to chicago right after the show.

I still think that it's too stressful for the band to fly forth and back every night.

It's also stressful to sleep in a different room every night or two. I can't see them spending the night in say, Charlottesville.

.. That's the good part about being a rockstar. Your own plane is never late.

Yes - except for weather delays. I saw Van Halen a few years ago, and they barely made it to the arena in DC on time due to storms in NY.

during vertigo chicago was a hub for all midwest shows. They would fly into the venue city the afternoon of the show and then fly back to chicago right after the show.

Last tour, they also stayed out of the country a lot to limit the number of days in the US - e.g. flying to Mexico (except Edge) after LA shows.

Well, I do know that in 2001, they were late for Charlotte cause their plane from Fort Lauderdale was late due to weather

SMB

.......Willie's diaries were great to read. I particularly liked the story about the Gelsenkirchen show.... helicopter ready for take off after the show, flying to Cologne airport and from there back to Nice.... half an hour drive and sleep in their own beds...

....It's completely logical to do this...... .....intervals between shows were up to three days..... I guess Bono & Co. have done the tourist things in the early years...

I bet they'll base themselves out of Toronto until the tour goes down to the southern US... for tax reasons, of course.

I just hope for their sakes that they don't base themselves in Tijuana for the rest of it.,

It's also stressful to sleep in a different room every night or two. I can't see them spending the night in say, Charlottesville.

That's right, but I guess they're used to it by now. They stayed in Hotels in almost all the European cities, except Gelsenkirchen, and London was used as their "base" for the UK shows. Flying around all the time seems much more exhausting to me. If you're in a hotel, you can just go after the concert and go to sleep if you're tired, instead having some more hours of travel.

It was a really good show, nevertheless. I think the weather also prevented PJ Harvey from reaching the venue and opening the show. In a pinch, the band recruited Nelly Furtado to open.
Oh, no doubt, the show was superb! :rockon: :D

I understood we got Nelly Furtado because PJ Harvey was sick...was that just a cover story? :hmm: What conspiracy have we uncovered here?? :lmao:

Oh, no doubt, the show was superb! :rockon: :D

I understood we got Nelly Furtado because PJ Harvey was sick...was that just a cover story? :hmm: What conspiracy have we uncovered here?? :lmao:

Nope. You're right. It was reported that PJ Harvey was sick that night.

I do, however, remember the treachorous, punishing-blinding-downpour drive from Raleigh to Charlotte, and damn near hydroplaning off the road somewhere in the vicinity of China Grove. Here's hoping the band stay in Raleigh, are punctual, arrive in good weather, arrive in good humor, and that Nelly Furtado does not have to substitute for Muse! :up:

I bet they'll base themselves out of Toronto until the tour goes down to the southern US... for tax reasons, of course.

I just hope for their sakes that they don't base themselves in Tijuana for the rest of it.,

Considering they're only spending 6 weeks touring in the US during all of 2009 I don't think there are any "tax" issues for this leg of the tour.

it's always cool to read about day-to-day life on the road....nice to know im not the only one interested in that kind of stuff :lol:.....has anyone ever seen those concert riders that they posted on The Smoking Gun? Hilarious. U2 is on there too.

Metallica does this when they tour Europe in the summers. The difference is that all four members stay in different European countries in between dates, due to family obligations. Lars stays in Denmark, James stays in France or something, etc. etc. etc.

Apparently, according to the "rockstars", it's much better for the band, psychologically.

Dragging this one back fom th dead as Willie just posted that the band is staying in NYC for three weeks for the upcoming US dates.

"After the show we did a 'runner' to the plane and headed for New York, where we will base ourselves for the next three weeks (!)"

Interesting...

More of a chance for me to run into them...

:hyper:

All I can say is, it must be pretty exhausting whatever way you do it.

Back
Top Bottom