Bring U2 to Boston in 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's right...that's what they get for scheduling 7 shows in 1 year on the Vertigo tour...how 'bout 3 shows in 2 years for the 360 tour?

Exactly. And there is no precedent for U2 changing their tour production to accommodate a one off show mid tour.

U2 always likes to customize their stages, even on simple arena tours. The grounds director at Fenway banned any stage bigger than the one that has been used the past 5 years by numerous acts after the Stones' "Bigger Bang" set ruined the entire outfield.

Even the Elevation Tour set would be off limits in Fenway.

U2 will very likely never play Fenway.

They'll be back to the Garden when they finish the stadium phase they're in now.

Pretty sure Glastonbury 2011 is not getting the claw. As with original 2010 plans, the 3 claws would be stateside.

Slane and Torino 2001 were production one offs with unique staging not used elsewhere.

Mexico 1992 was the only show on the Outside Broadcast tour to use the indoor rig that was specially shipped from storage for use in one city.

Pretty sure Glastonbury 2011 is not getting the claw. As with original 2010 plans, the 3 claws would be stateside.

Slane and Torino 2001 were production one offs with unique staging not used elsewhere.

Mexico 1992 was the only show on the Outside Broadcast tour to use the indoor rig that was specially shipped from storage for use in one city.

Where did you get the idea that I somehow said Glastonbury was getting the claw?:huh:

I never anywhere suggested nor would common sense suggest that U2's level of control over Glastonbury's production would be any greater than it was at the 25th anniversary rock hall shows.

Glastonbury is a stand alone annual, but unlike Slane(which still had the typical Elevation stadium set, remember), they generally have their stages designed for the artists in advance. Slane the headliner gets a lot of influence, hence the heart in 2001.

Torino in 2001 had the Elevation stadium set as well.

Far different than some Boston fans lobbying for a proper 360 gig in a venue where the claw or any U2 production for that matter is unworkable over a stadium that has already handled the claw twice.

Mexico 1992 is comparable to Popmart Vegas in 1997 and is also kind of similar to the dimensions of the claw being done differently in the smaller European stadiums as well as Cowboys Stadium with the top of the claw.

The shows you mention are hardly altering the basic tour production at all, never mind to the level that would be needed to play Fenway.

Where did you get the idea that I somehow said Glastonbury was getting the claw?:huh:

I never anywhere suggested nor would common sense suggest that U2's level of control over Glastonbury's production would be any greater than it was at the 25th anniversary rock hall shows.

Glastonbury is a stand alone annual, but unlike Slane(which still had the typical Elevation stadium set, remember), they generally have their stages designed for the artists in advance. Slane the headliner gets a lot of influence, hence the heart in 2001.

Torino in 2001 had the Elevation stadium set as well.

Far different than some Boston fans lobbying for a proper 360 gig in a venue where the claw or any U2 production for that matter is unworkable over a stadium that has already handled the claw twice.

Mexico 1992 is comparable to Popmart Vegas in 1997 and is also kind of similar to the dimensions of the claw being done differently in the smaller European stadiums as well as Cowboys Stadium with the top of the claw.

The shows you mention are hardly altering the basic tour production at all, never mind to the level that would be needed to play Fenway.

Some artists insist on full production for festival appearances. Lollapalooza with Gaga in 2010 got a completely different headliner stage than usual and brought every bell and whistle. her crew went to more effort than u2 will go for Glasto. Are u2 even bringing the moving conical screen?

In theory, why couldn't the setup used for Slane/Torino Elevation not work at Fenway with it's current restrictions? I also ask why Fenwy can't simply remove the turf direcly under the leg pressure points of the claw since the rest of the set is relatively light.

Glasto is a 2 hour show, MSG was 45 minutes of duets done for TV.

Mexico 1992 used the indoor staging, which had been in storage for 5 months. Most of the Outside Broadcast setup(seen the previous 3-4 months throughout the US) wasn't used. Very different than any Popmart gig that had to fit in a tiny venue.

Some artists insist on full production for festival appearances. Lollapalooza with Gaga in 2010 got a completely different headliner stage than usual and brought every bell and whistle. her crew went to more effort than u2 will go for Glasto. Are u2 even bringing the moving conical screen?

Highly doubt it on the screen. I don't think they will want to customize at all. The biggest difference between Elevation and now is you can't have a half hearted claw, its all or nothing.

In theory, why couldn't the setup used for Slane/Torino Elevation not work at Fenway with it's current restrictions? I also ask why Fenwy can't simply remove the turf direcly under the leg pressure points of the claw since the rest of the set is relatively light.

Has to do simply with the rules that the grounds director made after the Stones "Bigger Bang" in 2005. No expansion or customization of stages(heart, cat walk, ellipse, etc) beyond the design he personally picked out. A smaller Slane type set up would reach well into the middle of the outfield, which is more turf than he is willing to rip up for a concert.

As for removing the turf under the pressure points, again, he is way too particular. He'd insist on replacing the whole field like he did after the Stones- just how he is. My best friend has worked for him for years, I have seen him in action first hand. He doesn't even let people have WATER on the field!!! However, its really not that simple, as the whole building of the claw would require days of construction vehicles and heavy equipment on the entire field.

Plus, have you ever been to Fenway? Seen its dimensions, seen the neighborhood and one city block it is jammed into? Even a simple stage involves lifting equipment over the green monster in cranes or backing a crane down a very narrow concourse to a very narrow door that it barely fits under. The place is a flat nightmare to have any concert in, never mind something of 360's scale. Plus, the Claw would have to be smashed in like the side of a pumpkin to fit in Fenway given how rapidly it goes from deep to shallow as you move from center to left field. And GA would hold about 1,000 people tops.

Long story short, no stage customization beyond back line, lights, sound and video is allowed in Fenway, and U2 would never go for that.

Glasto is a 2 hour show, MSG was 45 minutes of duets done for TV.

Correct. But still, I don't think there is a history of customizing stage sets at Glasto and there was no indication U2 planned on doing this when they were only about 5 weeks from it actually happening. So I took a pretty educated guess that there wouldn't be much more customization than MSG.

Mexico 1992 used the indoor staging, which had been in storage for 5 months. Most of the Outside Broadcast setup(seen the previous 3-4 months throughout the US) wasn't used. Very different than any Popmart gig that had to fit in a tiny venue.

Understood.

But the overall point is that using the indoor set up(Zoo TV), jamming an outdoor set up inside(Popmart) and altering a set up's dimensions a bit to fit the venue(360) is quite a different thing than changing the tour production entirely to play one proper tour date in the middle of a leg.

This is especially true when you consider the fact that Gillette Stadium, though far from ideal, can easily do the job and is 30 miles down the road.

The Claw will never go in Fenway. Wouldn't be approved nor would it work logistically.

Nor will any other customized set that U2 could come up with for the event.

Venue condition of having a concert, no more, no less.

Highly doubt it on the screen. I don't think they will want to customize at all. The biggest difference between Elevation and now is you can't have a half hearted claw, its all or nothing.

So the Glasto show, either 2010 or 2011, would have no walkways, no conical screen, no claw and u2 would figure out a show up to their standards within a couple off days during their North American tour?

I think the screen comes easily and and is probably light and compact enough to fit on a single freight plane. Otherwise they may just have to have the regular 360 graphics on a large and stationary flat screen. Is there even a point to play stuff like Crazy Tonight?

Weirdly, I could see them busting the Slane walkways or vertigo crab legs out of storage for a one time use. It must feel odd for Edge and Bono to only spend time on the mainstage for a full length show for the first time since...Lovetown shows where Bono didn't got for an audience run?

I'm veering off topic, but I do wonder if Fenway is on u2's wishlist, like when they played Notre Dame in 2001, and how much they'd compromise to make it happen.

So the Glasto show, either 2010 or 2011, would have no walkways, no conical screen, no claw and u2 would figure out a show up to their standards within a couple off days during their North American tour?

That would indeed be the case. The Pyramid Stage would not be altered (much) just for U2. Some screens/props at the back maybe, but no walkways, Claw, etc. Remember, it's not just U2 playing on that stage, but also about a dozen other bands that day. And the previous day there were also performances on that one. And on the next day too (assuming U2 is on the second of three days). Plus, it would set a dangerous precedent, with many other headliners suddenly demanding modifications to the stage for their show.
So yeah, with Glastonbury the bands have to accept the Glastonbury conditions (including the presence of mud :) ) or not play Glastonbury at all.

I think the screen comes easily and and is probably light and compact enough to fit on a single freight plane.

I believe the screen weighs 100 tons (i.e. 100,000 kilo). So I wouldn't exactly call it light... :lol: (and with that weight, you really need something like a Boeing 747 freight plane or one in that category)

there was an entry in WW's diaries just before the US leg was postponed where he mentions the stage set for Glasonbury (2010). i can't remember the full entry but he mentioned "launching the pig" at some point during the set - probably a hint that they would use one or two set piece props rather than the full 360 show theatricals...

I think the screen comes easily and and is probably light and compact enough to fit on a single freight plane. Otherwise they may just have to have the regular 360 graphics on a large and stationary flat screen. Is there even a point to play stuff like Crazy Tonight?

Weirdly, I could see them busting the Slane walkways or vertigo crab legs out of storage for a one time use. It must feel odd for Edge and Bono to only spend time on the mainstage for a full length show for the first time since...Lovetown shows where Bono didn't got for an audience run?

I'm veering off topic, but I do wonder if Fenway is on u2's wishlist, like when they played Notre Dame in 2001, and how much they'd compromise to make it happen.

My understanding, and evidently Popmartijn's understanding of the festival is there is no customization beyond what Popmartijn mentioned. Backline, lights, screens, etc. Always been like that.

It would certainly be interesting to see them staying on the main stage for a whole gig, but it has been done more than a hand full of times since Lovetown. Long ATYCLB promo shows in clubs, etc.

As for songs like Crazy Tonight, just play the album version like they did on Letterman.

Or make the remix arrangement work somehow. Its not unheard of.

The analogy I make here is the arena lighting for songs like The Fly and Discotheque on Elevation and Vertigo. They can still make it look pretty damn interesting without a massive stadium set.

Anyone's guess as to whether Fenway is actually on their wish list. I would tend to think not as the venue is just too much of a logistical headache for almost any set up you can think of. They aren't particularly associated with America and apple pie and baseball like say, Springsteen and they have no sentimental attachment to ballparks like say, McCartney.

Back
Top Bottom