Big production next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my opinion, I would like to see them performing even with 2 chairs and a table...................I think that the very challenge for the next tour will be the songs they will play. The last tours where pretty alike, with the "usual" classics which went a bit boring time after time. It's the time to rearrange that couple of songs, to make them sound different if they want to play them again (Bullet, Streets, Pride, Sunday, One, With or...)

I want a show that will kick me in the head, like pop or zoo...

elevation and vertigo were great, but lets have something breathtaking again.

The biggest shock U2 could unleash on us would be the entire band un-dyed hair and un-capped. That would give PLEBA a heart attack and focus all attention on the music.......... :wink:

If the music is taking a different direction, it would be a good time to rearrange some of the old warhorses.

jay canseco said:
The biggest shock U2 could unleash on us would be the entire band un-dyed hair and un-capped. That would give PLEBA a heart attack and focus all attention on the music.......... :wink:

:eyebrow:

:madspit:

:wink:

Well I thought COBL & Vertigo as opener & 2nd song was breathtaking!

I love AB, "even though" I love JT & War.
I did not like what first heard of POP on the limited radioplay stations in my area at the time - Lemon & :hmm: Discoteque. But i could't afford at that time the album, couldn't hear the words In Disco... to get the meaning/irony.
And didn't hear other songs like LNOE, IGWSMAA, & damn :grumpy: I forgot the other one :uhoh: - till I finally got the album yrs later and really love those.

U2 has always created magic on each album they've done. It's when they really have magic in almost every one of the songs on an album > AB/HTDAAB/JT/War (with Zooropa & POP close by) for me in that order - that it's ultra exciting and wht\y they remain one of my ultra-fav bands.

I would love to hear a middle-eastern influenced (I've loved some of that music for decdes) U2 album with whatever else they'd mix in tho I'm not a Metal fan in most cases).

If you want to hear a band with some middle-earten influence (who dosen't have any ME background) check out--
if you can get a LIVE version of Television's "Adventure" , NOT the rather lame version on their re-issuded 2nd album.
Verlaine has a sinuous middle-eastern influenced line running through the bouncing rythym section of SMith/Ficca, and Lloyd holding down more rythmic gutair at times, i think. I never got to see them do THAT song live. :sad:

It might be quite interesting for them to re-arrange some of their standards....but NOT all of them. Like for me BTBS is STILL breath-taking the way it is live--esp Edge running that bluesy-solo in the middle of it. That was a departure for him and quite a thrill.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Do we know Willie Williams will be involved ? I thought he isn't working for them anymore after Vertigo tour.

He took time away from U2 during the fall arena leg, which led to all sorts of speculation here about his health/future involvement with the band, but he returned for South America/the rescheduled shows last year.

I personally think they should tour with an orchestra. Might be a little bothersome, cost a lot of money, but it would a lot to some of the songs. And then they could do a lot of the material like it should be done, eg. Angel of Harlem with horns, Who's Gonna Ride, Ultraviolet, HMTMKMKM, One, Lemon, Stay, Please, OOTS, a lot of UF with strings, SBS with the electric violin or whatever that thing is... and it may just help to get the new songs across in a live setting, with more percussion and instruments available.

Yeah, I really like that idea. Oh, and they should also give Pride a Popmart-SBS treatment and let the audience sing half of it, but do their part in a more contemplative way. Ditch WOWY, and do a segue between the synth build-up in Mofo and the opening of Streets. Mofo and Streets back to back would really make my day, or my month, or anything else really. =D

Imagewise - yes, they should start dressing more maturely. I don't know if Edge doesn't like not wearing a toque, but I think he looks awesome without it. I think someone described him as looking 'deadly'.

Noo they have to go to a big production because I want to go really bad! I don't want to be let down by a small production, because it will be my first u2 concert.. :( I was born 2 days before achtung baby and I havn't got into u2 since this year :(

I would really like to see a HUGE production because i think that adds a lot to the overall experience in comparison to a toned down production like elevation....even though bono may want people to concentrate solely on the music, I think productions like zooTV made the entire experience even more exciting...there's no reason not to do that here...people like BIG!! and U2's music fits the atmosphere perfectly...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That would be awesome for a mini-tour, but I don't think even U2 want to pay those kind of costs for a tour.

OR even just one show like that, and make a dvd of it so everyone could see it. :drool:

i feel that the big production works really well when you look back on dvd

it adds very little for me to the live experience itself
i guess it does only distract me

so does anyone think that the next tour could or will be as big or bigger than zootv or popmart in terms of production?

hmm..that was an interesting assortment of "or's" :)

Big state production means boring static setlists again. So, no thanks! No way am I going to multiple U2 shows again if I can drone the entire setlist up before it happens. Especially at today's ticket prices.

Give me as little stage production as possible so they are free to do on stage as they wish, not be held slave to their props and pre-programmed stage effects.

I think it will be scaled down - dramatically. Every other tour by the big bands looks like a mix between Zoo TV, Popmart and Elevation. Even Vertigo was a mix of those three!!

I think the use of multimedia might have had its day for now. I reckon they will use means other than televisions and big screens. This all depends on the songs I guess.

Has anyone seen the Operatic curtain used by Sigur Ros? It drops down in front of them and they flash images on it...amazing. U2 used it to some degree with New York on Elevation. Would be nice to see that expanded.

the tourist said:
No effects, but 28 random, interchangeable songs. That would be heaven.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Indeed! Death to the static setlists! They've got so much classics they don't need to trot out the same ones night after night in the same bloody order!

But as far as static setlists, we're talking from the perspective of the most dedicated minority of U2 fans on the planet (at least I hope so, haha). U2 have millions of fans who might go to one show if they're lucky during a year and a half long tour, and do not follow setlists on the net like we do. They want to hear the hits played live. For some a bullet-solo, or the run around the stage during Streets could be once in a lifetime experiences, and they want Pride, New Year's day, BD, I Will Follow etc.

U2 knows this, and they play the setlist that they feel best represents a mix of old and new.

I actually think the multimedia is just part of what U2 is live. I would hate to see it go. It adds so much to the excitement of a U2 show and can make it a really mindboggling experience. I've never seen the technology as something that takes away from the music, more the opposite: I think it just adds to the band as musicians. I wouldn't want them to have totally scaled-down shows like many other "aging" rock acts, it wouldn't be U2 any longer. I don't see them having a big stage like the Vertigo stage and NOT have any multimedia.

I think they should mix the media stuff with some scaled-down stuff where they can have more variety and be a little flexible. They were experimenting with this kind of set during the last tours. What I would like to see it an accoustic set with different songs every night and a core of 3 to 5 songs where they use the multimedia, the classics for a wider audience.

I totally agree that U2 have an audience that consists mostly of non-diehard fans, who are only a very small minority, thus the people complaining about "static" setlists aren't really the many going to a U2 concert. So I totally understand that they are trying to play the classics and have to effects for this audience. U2 has always embraced a large audience and it's good that way. Of course they could always mix up things a little bit and add some more flexibility to their show. I loved that they brought back the very old stuff for Vertigo and mixed it up with new stuff. I hope they'll do that on future tours as well.

last unicorn said:
I actually think the multimedia is just part of what U2 is live. I would hate to see it go. It adds so much to the excitement of a U2 show and can make it a really mindboggling experience. I've never seen the technology as something that takes away from the music, more the opposite: I think it just adds to the band as musicians. I wouldn't want them to have totally scaled-down shows like many other "aging" rock acts, it wouldn't be U2 any longer. I don't see them having a big stage like the Vertigo stage and NOT have any multimedia.

I think they should mix the media stuff with some scaled-down stuff where they can have more variety and be a little flexible. They were experimenting with this kind of set during the last tours. What I would like to see it an accoustic set with different songs every night and a core of 3 to 5 songs where they use the multimedia, the classics for a wider audience.

I totally agree that U2 have an audience that consists mostly of non-diehard fans, who are only a very small minority, thus the people complaining about "static" setlists aren't really the many going to a U2 concert. So I totally understand that they are trying to play the classics and have to effects for this audience. U2 has always embraced a large audience and it's good that way. Of course they could always mix up things a little bit and add some more flexibility to their show. I loved that they brought back the very old stuff for Vertigo and mixed it up with new stuff. I hope they'll do that on future tours as well.

:yippie: flashing lights :yippie: big screens :yippie: same songs every night, every tour :yippie:

:|

This is a great question. I think they'll continue to try to be more innovative, than large in production. The album, though, will dictate this. I definitely think they're building up to a big production at some point soon. (meaning sometime in the next few albums)

Thats the thing...everyone does some sort of multimedia these days. A move away for this to something else would be innovative. U2 were considered the the best live band in the world long before they used TV screens. As I said before... everything is a mix between U2's previous tours these days.

I agree that you need mulitmedia in the larger venues to get connect to that many people. You can get away without it in arena shows though.

Also, using means other than multimedia might enable the setlists to be more interchangable. I think that is an issue that needs address thing time round. It was okay on Zoo TV and the prior tours before the internet. These days though, information just gets around too quick! The 1st night setlist is posted online as the show happens. Mixing it up like they did on Lovetown would be fantastic.

Dorian Gray said:

did you even read the full post you're quoting?

Yes. I did. It talked about mixing the setlists up like the last couple tours. Which is virtually not mixing things up at all. It's more like picking between 40-45 song, using the same lineups many of those songs (i.e. the Sunday Bloody Sunday/Love and Peace/Bullet part of the live set, the Africa part of the live set, the Achtung Baby mini set, the Boy mini set, etc).

It's my own personal rant that these people who are the biggest rock and roll band in the world refuse to play whatever feels right to them in the moment because it won't fit the fucking lighting or the click tracks that are pre-programmed for every night. Time to get rid of the in-ear click tracks, and the huge stage props.

If it were up to me, they wouldn't play the same setlist twice on the whole tour.

Let's hear a show open with Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me. Let's hear a dozen shows with Love Is Blindness (some in the middle). Let's hear Wake Up Dead Man and Desire both full band AND acoustic on various nights. Let's hear Discotheque end a show. Let's hear 40 in the middle. Let's hear Like A Song at all. Or Your Blue Room. Let's hear A Sort of Homecoming, or Hawkmoon 269, or God Part II, or Numb.

How much of a mindblower would it be for U2 fans to see a show open up with Desire, All Along The Watchtower, and God Part II one night and not again the whole tour? Or open with Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Discotheque, and Last Night On Earth for another? How about those songs all make various re-apperances over the tour but never in the same place or together?

How about a tour where 100 songs are played (none being snippets)? This will NEVER happen with huge props. Never, never, never. And who cares if Pride isn't played one night if there's still Streets? And who cares if One isn't played if there's still New Year's Day? And who cares if With Or Without You isn't played as long as there's Mysterious Ways?

They'll have over a hundred shows--surely they can shake things up. Especially with modern technology and the way the Edge can control all of the pre-programmed stuff at the tap of a foot. This will never happen though. Because after ZooTV I think U2's scared to fully pull it back to where it used to be. Maybe they're scared their music isn't enough to grap the audience. Maybe they think we need shiny lights to pay attention.

the tourist said:
How about a tour where 100 songs are played (none being snippets)? This will NEVER happen with huge props. Never, never, never.

Thing is, I doubt that U2 would have mixed up their setlists in any serious way even if the huge props and lighting weren't an issue. As was already commented, most people who go to a U2 show will see just one concert and are unlikely to sit on the internet going, "man did you see the setlist for Insert-Name-Here? They played Discotheque!!" And whether setlists-following die-hards like it or not, U2 seem to place priority on the majority of casual fans who will see one show and would like to hear classics.

the tourist said:

Yes. I did. It talked about mixing the setlists up like the last couple tours. Which is virtually not mixing things up at all. It's more like picking between 40-45 song, using the same lineups many of those songs (i.e. the Sunday Bloody Sunday/Love and Peace/Bullet part of the live set, the Africa part of the live set, the Achtung Baby mini set, the Boy mini set, etc).

It's my own personal rant that these people who are the biggest rock and roll band in the world refuse to play whatever feels right to them in the moment because it won't fit the fucking lighting or the click tracks that are pre-programmed for every night. Time to get rid of the in-ear click tracks, and the huge stage props.

If it were up to me, they wouldn't play the same setlist twice on the whole tour.

Let's hear a show open with Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me. Let's hear a dozen shows with Love Is Blindness (some in the middle). Let's hear Wake Up Dead Man and Desire both full band AND acoustic on various nights. Let's hear Discotheque end a show. Let's hear 40 in the middle. Let's hear Like A Song at all. Or Your Blue Room. Let's hear A Sort of Homecoming, or Hawkmoon 269, or God Part II, or Numb.

How much of a mindblower would it be for U2 fans to see a show open up with Desire, All Along The Watchtower, and God Part II one night and not again the whole tour? Or open with Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Discotheque, and Last Night On Earth for another? How about those songs all make various re-apperances over the tour but never in the same place or together?

How about a tour where 100 songs are played (none being snippets)? This will NEVER happen with huge props. Never, never, never. And who cares if Pride isn't played one night if there's still Streets? And who cares if One isn't played if there's still New Year's Day? And who cares if With Or Without You isn't played as long as there's Mysterious Ways?

They'll have over a hundred shows--surely they can shake things up. Especially with modern technology and the way the Edge can control all of the pre-programmed stuff at the tap of a foot. This will never happen though. Because after ZooTV I think U2's scared to fully pull it back to where it used to be. Maybe they're scared their music isn't enough to grap the audience. Maybe they think we need shiny lights to pay attention.

If there is a God, they will somehow reveal this post to U2.

Back
Top Bottom