St Mary’s Butts, Reading, England Superthread - Page 46 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Out Of Control
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2019, 03:37 AM   #901
The Male

Local Time: 09:29 PM
It's really for the best that they, the human equivalent of ammonia and bleach, not sing this song together.

LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:38 AM   #902
Blue Crack Distributor

Ugh, these kids are the worst singers. My ear infection can't protect me from the insipid sounds of their warbling.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:40 AM   #903
The Male

No, this guy is Bono. This speech is going on like 20 minutes.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:42 AM   #904
The Male

She literally pulled that microphone out of her ass and walked onstage

That kid needs to play a shuffle and he's just hitting one tom over and over

There is an upright bass and I can't hear an upright bass

I shouldn't expect better but
Old 12-01-2019, 03:42 AM   #905
Blue Crack Distributor

And then they kiss and its happily ever after the end.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:44 AM   #906
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
And then they kiss and its happily ever after the end.
Their first physical contact of the movie and that guy was planning to move to New York for her.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:44 AM   #907
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It's really for the best that they, the human equivalent of ammonia and bleach, not sing this song together.
Instead, we got ammonia, bleach and a cacophany of unstable elements mixed together by not only having to hear them harmonize, but that horrible chorus of children as well.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:45 AM   #908
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
She literally pulled that microphone out of her ass and walked onstage

That kid needs to play a shuffle and he's just hitting one tom over and over

There is an upright bass and I can't hear an upright bass

I shouldn't expect better but
I heard upright bass, but that player wasn't playing shit. These were the laziest background actors of all time.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:45 AM   #909
The Male

Oh good, Tempest Bledsoe got a promotion at the post office. Well I guess everything was wrapped up in a neat little package.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:46 AM   #910
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Oh good, Tempest Bledsoe got a promotion at the post office. Well I guess everything was wrapped up in a neat little package.
What a nothingburger of an ending...

Whelp... See you all next year.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:48 AM   #911
The Male

I think the people involved in these movies are pleased that they give em the fast credits and squish the box down to an incomprehensible height.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:53 AM   #912
Blue Crack Distributor

That movie was far too competent. We need to aim lower next year.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:57 AM   #913
The Male

Yeah, I could see all the characters and hear what they were saying. It could have been much more broken.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:58 AM   #914
Blue Crack Distributor

That next movie we got about 5 minutes of with Toni Braxton ADR'ing all of her lines to save her singing voice was promising.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:00 AM   #915
Blue Crack Addict

So I don’t know when anyone will actually read this since this thread is pretty well cooked, but most of my best interference friends once called these threads home, so I’ll post a minor update here. I will meander. Sorry about that.

I have been dealing with a lot of stress for awhile.

It probably started when my back went out the week before my daughter was born almost five years ago. Maybe it compounded a bit when we became a 1.5 income family instead of a 2 income family, with a mortgage that was easy with two incomes but less so on 1.5. Maybe it increased with the death of our second child at 24 weeks in the womb. Or when I got pneumonia when our third child was born. Or when that third child had a near death allergic reaction and we didn’t know what to for weeks because of inept pediatricians and allergists. It could have increased when every Christmas time I think about the child who died because it was around the holidays when he was stillborn. Or when my back went out again the day after Christmas in 2018 and is still not right.

Other recent stresses include the death of my grandpa, which was fairly sudden, a hidden leak inside of our house that we struggled to be able to afford to fix, the fact that I’ve been working overtime every week since May 1st, with lots of it being 60-hour weeks, raising children, etc.

And working on an album that I’ve determined I’m going to do 100% of - all programming, bass, percussion, keys, guitars, vocals, mixing, mastering - because of the personal nature of the music and what the songs mean to me. I started it two weeks before the most recent time my back went out, so it would probably be done if it weren’t for that - as it is, I only have lead vocals on 2 songs left, bass guitar on 3, some backing vocals here and there, and lead guitars on almost all of them still to record. I also mix and master as I go, so that shouldn’t take forever once I’m done tracking. I’ve already decided that for the next album, I will be entrusting friends to play some bits. Or maybe decent chunks.

So all of that. Maybe that’s not a whole lot to deal with. I don’t know. Seems like a lot to me.

And the stress has been manifesting itself physically since the beginning of December. Chest pain. Normally low blood pressure skyrocketed. Random weird numbness. Just feeling off in general. Muscle knots everywhere despite copious stretching and massaging and heat. Panic attacks.

The doctor doesn’t think it’s my heart based on an EKG in office but to make sure, I’m having a stress test and monitoring soon. A lot of the issues have slowly gotten manageable. Or maybe I’ve just gotten used to it. On the plus side, I’m eating better for the first time in my life to be healthier and not out of vanity to try and be better looking without a shirt on. I’ve nearly cut out all dairy, red meat, added salt, fried food (aside from air-fried), and cut way back on saturated fats, cholesterol, eggs, added sugar, sweets in general, and caffeine, and have replaced them with raw almonds, walnuts, berries, beans, and other fairly healthy things like dark chocolate here and there, stevia in what remaining sweet beverages I partake. Also I cut back from 60+ hour work weeks to 50 hours max now that we’ve paid off our water damage work.

All of that has helped me lose weight since the beginning of December, and the panic attacks have mostly gone away. Chest pain is still there sometimes but I think it might just be extremely tight muscles pulling from my upper back to my pectorals. BP has gone from firmly high/just a bit lower than the danger zone, to close to normal (which is still high for me though). Numbness issues are pretty much gone.

But I still worry about my health. It’s weird, getting to middle age and realizing I’m not actually going to live forever. And worrying about leaving my family behind prematurely. Leads to writing lyrics like one of the songs on my album (that I’m hoping to have on all the streaming services sometime this year and all you three or four assholes who read this better listen to it) - “if I should die / in my sleep tonight / would you remember my face as more than a picture in a frame?”

So there’s your update on the tourist, whether you wanted it or not.

Never thought I’d be more active on this forum than Axver.
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:25 AM   #916
Blue Crack Distributor

Hey man, I hope you're doing OK. Sounds like a LOT of stress mixed with some great things. I hope you get it sorted and find some sort of peace. If you're able, talk to someone. It makes a huge difference.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:20 AM   #917
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Andrew, please look after yourself. That's a lot to go through, and I hope you (and your wife!) have some good support networks.

I guess I'll chip in an update too, since I'm never around any more. It's wild isn't it. Interference used to be one of the most important, most regularly refreshed tabs in my browser. Now... it's not even in the tabs I have open all the time. I forget to pop by for weeks on end. I guess there are a few reasons. In terms of the Internet itself, I suppose any of you who follow me on Twitter know that after more than a decade I have a new Internet home. The community there is very much what this place was to me back in the day. It's not the same, no social media is: I maintain the messageboard is superior to all that has followed. It brings together people without needing to be mutual followers (a drawback of, say, Facebook), but its conversations are organised and structured in a way far superior to Twitter - or even to relatively similar concepts like Reddit.

That's a tangent. Back on point:

Life is generally good. My health still is not what it should be after my little near-death experience in Norway but I'm on the better side of things. I suspect I've very abruptly hit that point where you realise you don't physically bounce back the way you did when you were younger. But gee, it's over a year ago now and I still wake up some mornings amazed that I'm still here.

I have a wonderful girlfriend, Rachel, a fellow historian. She submitted her PhD last week. Now we're considering projects to research together...and, well, jobs. Who knows where we'll end up living a year from now. I guess it'll be whichever one of us scores a position, given how thoroughly scarce they are in our field. I used to joke that historians shouldn't date other historians because one of you needs a stable job, but here I am.

Work is busy. I'm writing a lot. Some of it is sheer desperation - I'm working on a grant application this week with a 15% success rate that will possibly determine my future. Failure means... well, shit, who knows. I'm lucky enough that I should be working on a TV documentary that's right in my wheelhouse when my current university-based position ends later this year, so I hope I land on my feet. But it's terrifying. I'm bad with uncertainty. I just want stable employment, is it so much to ask?

I think about going back to New Zealand a lot, the way the world is.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:29 PM   #918
Blue Crack Addict

St Mary’s Butts, Reading, England Superthread

I’m doing a whole lot better in most every respect. Also finally having a possible light at the end of the tunnel on this record. I’m shooting for an October release. But if it’s delayed or anything, it’ll be out in 2020 for sure, even if I’m not 100% happy with it and it has to be New Year’s Eve. Haha!

Anyone want to hear a track or two in varied stages of completion?
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:12 AM   #919
45:33

Local Time: 02:29 PM
wow this thread still going huh.

cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
superthread