Virus help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arw

Blue Crack Addict
I just went to a random news website and all of a sudden I got a pop up that said my computer is infected and to download Internet Security 2010. It took over all programs on my computer. I tried to go into ad/remove programs and that wouldn't open. I then tried to run the task manager to see what programs were running and the task manager button was no longer highlighted for me to click on it. Finally, I tried to shut it down but it wouldn't and a pop up kept coming up saying I needed to buy this program. I just unplugged it from the wall to shut it down and am using our other computer. It's an almost 8 year old computer with no current virus software on it. I'm planning on buying a new computer within a few months. I have all of my files backed up from that computer but itunes, which I can no longer open.

How do I get rid of this crap so I can use my computer again? If this is the end of the computer I'm fine with it but how do I get my itunes account onto a new computer? I tried to do that once on this computer but it didn't work and my account came up saying I didn't have any songs in it.

Also, while I'm here.....what sort of computer should I consider getting? I'd like a Mac due to it's reputation but I don't know if I can afford it. I don't do much in terms of downloading or using other programs other than the interent so I'm not sure I'd need anything too fancy.

Try booting it up in safe mode then run spybot. I just had to do this today at my parents house. They got a similar virus but I was able to remove it.

You can also get free virus software like AVG or Avant.

I don't understand a word of what you said. I have no idea what safe mode is or spybot.....I know how to turn it on and find interference and facebook :reject: I'm clueless about computer stuff.

lol ok well turn the computer on and while its loading up start hitting F8 repeatedly until a black screen shows up asking if you want to run in safe mode. Use the arrow keys to select then press enter.

spybot is a virus removal program that you can download for free. The home of Spybot-S&D!

Or Malwarebytes, that's what we've been using for about a year now (replacing Spybot, Spysweeper, and Adaware).

Malwarebytes didnt find anything on my parents computer but spybot found 19 issues including a trojan. Not sure what the deal was with that.

I'm gonna try that.
My kid's computer got a nasty virus and it does not recognize the C drive.

I am trying to reformat the drive altogether, but I haven't been able to do so.
I am just thinking of taking it to a place that will take care of it.

You can also try a system restore. The longer the computer is running with the virus intact, the worst it's going to get. Last time I got one (totally my fault, needed a hack from some shady site), I instantly did a system restore and then ran my antivirus and it was fine.

The longer the computer is running with the virus intact, the worst it's going to get.

does this apply if the computer is completey turned off? I turned it off immediately on Sunday night and haven't touched it since. My brother knows how to fix the problem but he's not able to get to my place too often so he said to leave it for him as long as I have another computer to use.

Back
Top Bottom