The Daily Show Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread needs to be brought back. Tonight was absolutely fantastic and I've never been prouder of John Stewart - for showing true patriotism as opposed to party loyalty. John McCain tried, but Stewart owned him on every point.

One of the best Daily Shows ever. :up: :up:

It really was one of the best eps I've seen in a long time. It's really humiliating that the mainstream media journalists can't conduct an interview like that.

Diemen said:
This thread needs to be brought back. Tonight was absolutely fantastic and I've never been prouder of John Stewart - for showing true patriotism as opposed to party loyalty. John McCain tried, but Stewart owned him on every point.

One of the best Daily Shows ever. :up: :up:

I watched it after reading your post and you were dead-on. I wonder what kind of impact this might have on the presidental race.

:hyper: This can only re-energize the calls for a Stewart/Colbert '08. :drool:

Screwtape2 said:

I wonder what kind of impact this might have on the presidental race.

McCain wasn't going to win anyway. This just further cemented the fact. Though I do give McCain credit for coming on and taking the heat. God knows no one from the Bush administration would be willing to do so.

What I found most annoying though was McCain's repeated insistence that he was one of the staunchest critics of the administration's mismanagement of Iraq. Yet, after fully admitting that this administration has royally screwed up in Iraq, he says we owe it to them to give this "new strategy" a chance.

I'm sorry, but what??? You can't claim to be a critic and then parrot the party line. Especially when it comes from the people you just claimed have screwed everything up! Why would you owe anything to the people who've only screwed you over every time you trusted them in the past?

Stewart's metaphor about the house with no doors or windows was fantastic.

Diemen said:

What I found most annoying though was McCain's repeated insistence that he was one of the staunchest critics of the administration's mismanagement of Iraq. Yet, after fully admitting that this administration has royally screwed up in Iraq, he says we owe it to them to give this "new strategy" a chance.

I love Jon's reaction to the "new strategy" arguement.

That interview was awesome (and yet made me want to pull my hair out at the same time).

oh, and this:

NBCU's Zucker Courts Jon Stewart

(Broadcasting & Cable) _ After NBC Universal's high-profile signing of Ben Silverman for the top programming job, Comedy Central's Jon Stewart might be next on the Peacock's wish list. NBC Universal President/Chief Executive Jeff Zucker and NBC Entertainment/Universal Media Studios Co-Chair Marc Graboff recently wined and dined the satirical news anchor and his agent, James Dixon. According to a network source, Zucker and Graboff didn't focus on pitching any specific role at the dinner meeting. "They just made their interest known in finding a way to do business together if Jon was ever available," says the source, who categorized the talks as "exploratory."

That slow and easy approach mirrors another of Zucker's high-profile courtships, his successful play to snare Meredith Vieira from The View to replace Katie Couric on the Today show. While Zucker's play for Silverman was more abrupt after Silverman walked into his office and said he was a free agent, Zucker is known to be a master of the soft sell, knowing with certain talent he can't push too hard. Stewart's The Daily Show With Jon Stewart is a franchise at Comedy Central, and Stewart's deal is up in 2008. Although Comedy Central has had its eye on off-net sitcoms such as The Office, as well as continuing its slew of originals, it is watching costs in part to have the resources to keep Stewart.

As for NBC, while its late night is in flux right now, the network's interest in Stewart is not limited to that daypart, according to sources. If Stewart were to jump to a network in late night, he has been said to covet David Letterman's chair on CBS. But NBC is turning its attention to its own late-night future. The network has some major decisions to make in the wake of its announcement that Conan O'Brien is scheduled to replace Jay Leno on The Tonight Show in 2009. Leno is still printing money for NBC, and the show's profitability is even more important now, given the network's primetime struggles.

While NBC may decide to keep Leno and give O'Brien a reported $40 million payout, either way it has a hole at 12:30 a.m. ET, because O'Brien would undoubtedly leave the network if it pulled The Tonight Show from him. Whoever ends up hosting at 11:30, NBC has begun actively working on a solution for the post-Tonight Show hole in 2009. Representatives of Stewart, NBCU and Comedy Central declined comment.

http://avid.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=152234

No offense to Daily Show fans, but I started watching the show in the Fall of 2004 and it hasn't been nearly as funny since Summer 2005, when Jon had hilarious stuff about the Bush administration lack of concern over the Katrina incident. Jon's news was my favorite part, and I'm finding that he mostly makes things ridiculous instead of witty and stretches jokes out; for example, he joked about serenading Condie Rice with very sexual talk; it was so irrelevant and not very funny, but sensationalistic. I'm wondering if Colbert took some of the writers with him to do his show. I still watch it for the political commentary and insight we seem unable to find in most American news, except over the Israeli/Palestinian issue in which he tends to be pro-Israeli.

Any ideas what happened?

might as well post this here...

Jon Stewart will return as host of the Oscars in 2008. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences announced Wednesday that Stewart will host the 80th awards show Feb. 24 at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood

Originally posted by Lila64
might as well post this here...

Jon Stewart will return as host of the Oscars in 2008. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences announced Wednesday that Stewart will host the 80th awards show Feb. 24 at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood

Jon Stewart's Oscar Rewind
Wed Sep 12, 12:53 AM

And the podium goes to...Jon Stewart.

The Daily Show anchor and his trademark snark have once again been tapped by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences to host the Oscar ceremony. Stewart will hold down joke-cracking duties for next year's 80th Annual Academy Awards.

The hosting gig will be Stewart's second time fronting Hollywood's biggest night, having previously served as master of ceremonies back in 2006.

"I'm thrilled to be asked to host the Academy Awards for the second time, because, as they say, the third time's a charm," Stewart, 44, said.

"Jon was a terrific host for the 78th Awards," longtime Oscar producer Gil Cates said in a statement. "He is smart, quick, funny, loves movies and is a great guy. What else could one ask for?"

In a word: ratings.

The satirist's turn at the podium two years ago was one of the lower rated of recent broadcasts, averaging 38.9 million viewers.

By comparison, Ellen DeGeneres' more folksy stint at the helm this year drew 39.9 million viewers, and Chris Rock's 2005 outing, Jude Law would be loath to learn, drew a hearty 42.1 million movie fans to their TV screens.

Whether or not the numbers go up next year remains to be seen, but fans can count on one aspect of the Stewart-hosted show remaining the same: the schtick.

In his previous stint as host, the Comedy Central pundit relied heavily on his usual slapstick and political humor—for his opening gambit, he lampooned Hollywood's "liberal elite" rather than wedge titles of nominated films into a Billy Crystal-esque song-and-dance number—and viewers can no doubt look forward to more of the same for February's ceremony, falling as it does during a presidential election year.

Stewart, who also has two turns hosting the Grammys under his awards-show belt, will join some esteemed company with his second Oscar go-round.

Bob Hope holds the hosting record, with 18 ceremonies to his credit. More recently, Crystal emceed eight times, followed by Johnny Carson at five and Whoopi Goldberg at four. While Stewart has a way to go before touching those records, he can now count himself on par with Steve Martin, another two-time host.

The Oscars will air live on ABC from Hollywood's Kodak Theater on Feb. 24, 2008.

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/s...-ups-as-daily-show-host/n20071018192009990008

Jon Stewart Re-Ups As 'Daily Show' Host
By FRAZIER MOORE,AP
Posted: 2007-10-18 19:20:02

NEW YORK (AP) - You'll be seeing Jon Stewart on the air with "The Daily Show" for at least three more years. And you can go online to see him on past episodes stretching back to 1999.

Stewart has signed a two-year contract extension that keeps him in the anchor chair of his Comedy Central "faux news" show through 2010, the network announced Thursday. His contract had been set to expire at the end of 2008.

In a separate announcement, Comedy Central unveiled a stand-alone "Daily Show" Web site stocked with video clips from every episode since January 1999, when Stewart took over.

Visitors to that new site (separate from the Comedy Central site) can watch video clips from the most recent "Daily Show," as well as the week's highlights and some 13,000 videos spanning the full Stewart era. There are also episode synopses, games and mobile content, among other features supplementing the Emmy- and Peabody Award-winning series.

Stewart, 44, joined the satirical newscast on Jan. 11, 1999, succeeding Craig Kilborn, its host since the show began in July 1996.

Besides his anchoring duties, Stewart will continue as an executive producer and writer of "The Daily Show." His Busboy Productions also produces the successful spin-off "The Colbert Report," starring Stephen Colbert as a mock-conservative pundit.

Colbert made (faux) news earlier this week by announcing his candidacy for president.

"I look forward to using this extension to having great fun at President Colbert's expense," Stewart said.

"The Daily Show" airs Monday through Thursday at 11 p.m. EDT, with several re-airings.

Comedy Central is a unit of Viacom.

On the Net:

www.comedycentral.com

www.thedailyshow.com

I can't believe I started this thread two years ago.

Good jeorb.

:bump:

Tonight on Larry King:
Jon Stewart's counting down to hosting the Oscars, where anything can happen! Smart, engaging and always entertaining, hear what he has to say about, well, everything. Watch "Larry King Live," tonight at 9 ET!
tz.email.jon.stewart.jpg

Wednesday nights show =
ten_out_of_ten_emoticon.gif
:drool: :love:

I'm tempted to post links later today from the show (when they are up online) in FYM. Will anyone pay attention or watch? Especially the middle portion of it (the hypocrisies)

:applaud:

Is it just me or has John Stewart been ON FIRE this week???? He's funny on a normal show, but this week he's been sofa king funny I've nearly peed my pants watching! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom