Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally caught Manchester and its definitely the best thing I've seen this year, along with Shin Godzilla. I also don't think a Williams was overacting even the slightest. It's exactly what the scene called for, I dunno. Either way though - fantastic fucking movie.

Finally caught Manchester and its definitely the best thing I've seen this year, along with Shin Godzilla. I also don't think a Williams was overacting even the slightest. It's exactly what the scene called for, I dunno. Either way though - fantastic fucking movie.

Turn off your oven, Lance.

To each their own. I loved her for every other second she was on screen, but that particular scene got out of hand, for me, very quickly. I just didn't think it needed to go as far as it did, and I didn't care for it. Really glad to hear you loved it, though :).

Well, finally saw Silence.

To speak of something like Manchester in the same sentence is insulting. Scorsese is operating on an entirely different level here, one which few, if any, American directors are capable of. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't know how one could fail to see the mastery, even if visually it's more restrained than what Marty usually does.

Still need to sit with this for a couple days to expound more, but it's beautiful and haunting. Essential to see this in the theatre.

To speak of something like Manchester in the same sentence is insulting. Scorsese is operating on an entirely different level here, one which few, if any, American directors are capable of. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't know how one could fail to see the mastery, even if visually it's more restrained than what Marty usually does.

Still need to sit with this for a couple days to expound more, but it's beautiful and haunting. Essential to see this in the theatre.

Seeing it Monday.

Am I the only fucker that read the book?

I'm re-reading the novel right now. I read most of it sophomore year and enjoyed it greatly but it's been a while.

It just expanded this weekend from an exclusive Arclight and Landmark run to the Laemmle and AMC chains. It's definitely playing in Burbank.

Very curious to hear what you and Ashley think.

I'm a huge fan of the NoHo Laemmle and support them whenever possible (just saw Manchester there last week), so I'll pop by there next weekend and see it. Auteur director, great story, Neeson will actually survive deep into this one. I have high expectations.

Over the next few days, I have discount viewings of Hacksaw Ridge and Hidden Figures to go to, so that will be fun.

It just expanded this weekend from an exclusive Arclight and Landmark run to the Laemmle and AMC chains. It's definitely playing in Burbank.

I'll be seeing it up the hill in Palos Verdes so I can mingle with the obnoxiously rich.

I dunno, Manchester was just really funny, really sad, often in the same moments. Very confidently directed for someone who's never been anything close to a formalist directors.

I honestly don't know that I need another 3-hour long crisis of faith Scorsese film in my life at any point.

1. Lebowski
2. Fargo
3. Barton Fink
4. No Country
5. Oh Brother
6. Inside Llewyn Davis
7. Raising Arizona
8. A Serious Man
9. Blood Simple
10. Miller's Crossing
10. True Grit
11. Burn After Reading
12. Hail, Caesar

I realized this week that there are four Coen Bros movies I haven't seen. I thought I'd seen them all. But here's the ranking of the ones I've seen.

1. Lebowski
2. Fargo
3. Barton Fink
4. No Country
5. Oh Brother
6. Inside Llewyn Davis
7. Raising Arizona
8. A Serious Man
9. Blood Simple
10. Miller's Crossing
10. True Grit
11. Burn After Reading
12. Hail, Caesar

I realized this week that there are four Coen Bros movies I haven't seen. I thought I'd seen them all. But here's the ranking of the ones I've seen.

Please rank the ones you have not seen.

I honestly don't know that I need another 3-hour long crisis of faith Scorsese film in my life at any point.

I would think this one would be more up your alley, formally at least.

I'll be seeing it up the hill in Palos Verdes so I can mingle with the obnoxiously rich.

You're near San Pedro? There's a phenomenal sandwich shop there called the Busy Bee. Check it on Yelp.

1. Lebowski
2. Fargo
3. Barton Fink
4. No Country
5. Oh Brother
6. Inside Llewyn Davis
7. Raising Arizona
8. A Serious Man
9. Blood Simple
10. Miller's Crossing
10. True Grit
11. Burn After Reading
12. Hail, Caesar

The Man Who Wasn't There is one of my Top 3 Coens. The Ladykillers is probably their worst so you're not missing much. Intolerable Cruelty is funny but inessential. The Hudsucker Proxy is divisive, but I also count it among my favs.

GAF should definitely watch The Man Who Wasn't There, especially fresh off of seeing Thornton kick ass in Fargo.

Blood Simple is fantastic.

Last edited:
I would think this one would be more up your alley, formally at least.

You're near San Pedro? There's a phenomenal sandwich shop there called the Busy Bee. Check it on Yelp.

The Man Who Wasn't There is one of my Top 3 Coens. The Ladykillers is probably their worst so you're not missing much. Intolerable Cruelty is funny but inessential. The Hudsucker Proxy is divisive, but I also count it among my favs.

I'm in the South Bay, so other side of PV. I approach from the North!

The Man Who Wasn't There is fantastic.

I started reading Silence recently but wasn't in the right headspace for it so out it down.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm re-reading the novel right now. I read most of it sophomore year and enjoyed it greatly but it's been a while.

Meant to quote Mike, but I'm too lazy to go back and fix it, so I/R/T reading the book, while I have not read it, when Travis originally did I was following along with the story and would love to pick it up at some point, but I don't think I have time to finish reading it before I see it, because I AM seeing it in theaters.

Thanks for the head's up. We'll go this weekend, for sure. We almost went last week, but it was a Tuesday night, and the run time was a bit long for a worknight for me, so that was when we saw 20th Century Women instead (I didn't comment on that one, but boy do I love love love love it).

Have you read his interview in Film Comment? Even the way that he discusses his choices in explicit formal terms alongside they're cinematic and theological underpinnings feels out of time from a modern American approach.

Not to take away from Lonergan/Manchester at all. I'm on Team Lance on this one -- found it deeply affecting, humane, and frank in how it views grief as not a bridge to be gulfed, but tiny steps toward connectivity.

Have any of all seen ALWAYS SHINE? It's a micro-indie that Oscilloscope dropped in theaters/VOD about a month back. Mackenzie Davis from Halt and Catch Fire is a failing actress heading to a cabin in Big Sur with her more successful gal pal. Shit gets real super quick -- think PERSONA meets PERFORMANCE.

Not too dissimilar from Alex Ross Perry's QUEEN OF EARTH from a couple years back; its director, Sophia Takal, hails from the same filmmaking collective. Though, her perspective keeps this raw as hell and not full of the dripping mascara affect that Perry throws on his picture. Queen Elisabeth Moss is very good in it though.

Definitely want to check out Always Shine and Queen of Earth. Female bonding subject matter is something I'm very interested in, also related to my own film I'm currently editing.

I don't really have a bad thing to say about Manchester. But as I already said, I found Julieta to be a much more interesting (thematically and aesthetically) film about grief.

Hacksaw Ridge was OK. Technically impressive and has a good-hearted (but not necessarily interesting) character at its center. Some of the war scenes were gripping too. Nothing exciting happens for about an hour and then
all of a sudden 1/3 of the cast is brutally destroyed in 15 seconds. Good old Mel Gibson.

Sadly, the editing was a headache, the protagonist was glorified as a holy Christ figure with zero flaws and the cast was largely comprised of walking, talking meat that was given just as many character traits as necessary for us
to notice when Mel Gibson slaughtered them and drank their blood, in a movie about a man who succeeds through pacifism.
So much fucking slo-mo too. Did I mention that the protagonist is perfect? At one point,
Andrew Garfield swats a grenade out of the air like he's an all-star cornerback despite there being no indication that his character has good hand-eye coordination because he's never battled anyone on account of his pacifism, and then he's lifted off a mountain on a stretcher with some clouds and a beam of light behind him so he looks like an angelic being. It's fucking stupid.

Of course it's in the top 100 on IMDb.

Last edited:
I've had Always Shine on deck for a while now. Definitely gonna get to that one sooner than later.

Curious if anyone here has seen the Mark Duplass arthouse flick "Blue Jay". I think it had a limited theater run and is now streaming on Netflix.

It's very much like a play. Very few characters, few locations, a lot of dialogue. Duplass wrote it and stars with Sarah Paulson(of American Horror Story fame), and other then one other guy in one other scene, it's just the two of them the whole time. They were lovers in high school, and the film starts as they run into each other, decades later, while both visiting their hometown. They end up spending the day together, mostly in his deceased mother's house(he's in town to clean the house out), catching up and recounting their youth, and after an awkward start it's clear they still love each other. So the question hanging over the whole film is why they ever broke up, and the answer doesn't come until the end.

I really really liked it. I'm a fan of Duplass's stuff in general, I think he's great at writing intimate, understated adult dramady, something you don't see that much of. But this film was really well written and acted.

I highly recommend it.

I finally saw Silence just now.

I thought I saw some chatter earlier in this thread about this film and Manchester by the Sea....I either misread or am just confused about the connectivity.

I found Manchester by the Sea to be affecting and surprisingly funny, but, yeah, Silence....

I have shared this lament here before but I just lack the ability to deconstruct film or TV the way some of you are able to, or critics do. I basically know what I like, and why. So I say shit like "Silence was a powerful cinematic experience" and that's exactly how I feel, but that's also vague as shit. But, I mean, I read the book, I'm not a Christian or even a person of faith, and yet it all still really impacted me and I guess I'm sorting some of it as I type this. And of course, as a major fan of Scorsese's, it's gratifying to see him be able to produce such a film so far along into his life/career. I wish I had more to say other than it was one of those films, for me, that was so wholly engrossing that at some point in my head it almost ceased to be a film and more felt like I was witness to this all.

I wish I had more to say other than it was one of those films, for me, that was so wholly engrossing that at some point in my head it almost ceased to be a film and more felt like I was witness to this all.

Very eloquently put, and I had a similar experience. I'm not sure I've processed it all yet.

We almost went last week, but it was a Tuesday night, and the run time was a bit long for a worknight for me, so that was when we saw 20th Century Women instead (I didn't comment on that one, but boy do I love love love love it).

I loved it too. It's been a long time since I've seen a movie with characters as well developed as this one. There was a lot of attention and love by Mike Mills in writing every one of them and making them so human. And the music. I've been on a Talking Heads kick since watching it yesterday. The Big Country is such a great song.

The clitoral stimulation conversation is one of the best scenes of the year.

Back
Top Bottom