US Politics XXX: The type of film Donald wants to watch Ivanka in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the big update for NC expected until after 12 November, when absentee/overseas ballots have to be in?

Not sure but 3% was dumped yesterday from 95 to 98 and there was no motion in the gap.

My understanding is the gap is way too large but similar to NV they have no way of mathematically drawing a conclusion until the number of returned ballots is concrete (though I believe someone said something along the lines of “its on the order of hundreds not thousands” re: late arriving absentee ballots.

Yep, any statement that you leaves you having to make a nuanced explanation, means you are losing that argument. Trump is a grade A idiot, but Law and Order! And Keep Americans Safe!! Don't require explanation and exudes confidence, and requires no thinking, just emotion. Dems need to learn these lessons. So far, we have not.

The closest we've come, is the healthcare argument. And yet, we've never boiled it down to a quick 3 word slogan. Gotta do better.

I think that most of us here pointed out how bad that slogan was. And it isn’t as if this forum leans conservative.

The police department in my town has started giving away "Support Law Enforcement" signs to anyone who wants one and they've started popping up on people's lawns. I think it has a lot to do with the whole "Defund the Police" thing.

Personally I believe "Reform the Police" would have been a better slogan. I live in a red state where we did manage to turn a couple of House seats from red to blue in 2018, but one of those seats has flipped back to red and the Democrat in another House seat is barely holding onto her lead (the race still hasn't been called yet.) I'm not saying a simple slogan had everything to do with it, but it certainly didn't help.

Reform the police is gentler but I really think there needs to be an actionable accomplishment if you’re going to put a verb in there. “Pro Police reform” is similar to what you’re saying though I suppose. The slogan can’t make an enemy.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...truce-by-warning-incompetent-democratic-party

Not even 24 hours have passed since winning the presidency and there's already infighting among the Democrats. I generally like AOC but this is ridiculous. Keep this shit in house and show a unified front. Shit like this isn't productive. It's alienating. I don't remember any Republican infighting after they won an election. They put their differences aside and focus on achieving their evil goals, and they're usually successful.

Imagine if a team won the Stanley Cup and the second line centre started ripping his teammates...

Didn't the lamestream media call the election in his favor in 2016?

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Since when does the Lamestream Media call who our next president will be? We have all learned a lot in the last two weeks!
1:52 PM · Nov 8, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Also the House and Senate races are on the same ballot as President, but somehow there are no allegations of fraud about those results. Ok

Going to get tired of all the whining “What about the feelings of the 70 million who are called horrible people for only supporting the President”

Because they are horrible. You support that man, with all the evidence of his greed, hatred, lies, and I’m supposed to believe you’re a overall good person ? I’m not going to call you a monster, a racist, cause those may not be true. But what is true is you cannot be a good person and support Donald Trump and all the policies he’s implemented and wants to.

And there’s still plenty of anger and crazy out there

https://twitter.com/grahamdavida/status/1325480467961876481?s=21

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...truce-by-warning-incompetent-democratic-party

Not even 24 hours have passed since winning the presidency and there's already infighting among the Democrats. I generally like AOC but this is ridiculous. Keep this shit in house and show a unified front. Shit like this isn't productive. It's alienating. I don't remember any Republican infighting after they won an election. They put their differences aside and focus on achieving their evil goals, and they're usually successful.

Imagine if a team won the Stanley Cup and the second line centre started ripping his teammates...

They’re not teammates though. They played on the all star team together. They play for other teams.

So one humorous “defund the police” story.

The Republican challenger for governor in Washington was the police chief in a small town named Republic. There literally isn’t a single stoplight in the whole county. He ran as Trumpian a campaign as you possibly could, and has refused to concede even though he lost by 20 points, citing voting “irregularities” such as people voting overwhelmingly for (gasp) mandatory sex education.

Anyway, he essentially took a 2 month leave of absence from his job to campaign for governor, and while he was away, the city council voted to defund the police department, signing a contract with the county sheriff’s department to police the town. So not only did he lose the governor’s race miserably, he now has no job. He posted a video whining about it if anyone cares to look for it.

Last edited:
I’m just glad that it was a decisive victory with more than one state making the difference. Because then I would legitimately be concerned that Trump would somehow get the supreme court to do something in his favor. But now there’s just no way.

For sure. Georgia being the tightest race with the close call in a recount totally takes away legitimacy of attacking PA et al

Exactly. I’d have a much different feeling if Biden hadn’t absolutely crushed Trump in Michigan and Pennsylvania and everything was in <10,000 votes.

Exactly. I’d have a much different feeling if Biden hadn’t absolutely crushed Trump in Michigan and Pennsylvania and everything was in <10,000 votes.

Well, you can say that Biden won by a difference of about 50,000 votes in total in three key states (Arizona, Georgia and Wisconsin). That's still a slim margin.

I read a bit of redstate every now and then just to see what reality trump supporters are living in, lot of comments of just waiting for the command from Trump to go into open insurrection.

Most likely scenario from the Georgia senate run offs is probably one apiece which would still leave a senate in control of the republicans. I know the general hope is to get hold of the senate and I suppose there will be another chance in 2022. By then I imagine the GOP will be running the line that Biden has achieved and done nothing (though that will be because they will be obstructionist). But it makes every election for the foreseeable future life or death. It's a hell of a stressor on the functioning of a country.

What do you do with 70 million people who thought Trump was a good idea?

I am grateful for the Biden win as it stops Boris Johnson being too foolhardy with Brexit now that Trump will go, Biden has stated his opposition to anything that damages/affects the border in Ireland greatly. It also stems the tide of countries the world over going for the authoritarian autocrat figures.

Last edited:
What do you do with 70 million people who thought Trump was a good idea?

Just like in 2016, the GOP controls the media narrative on how we have to really understand and empathize with the Trump supporter.

Yet in both cases they were the minority voters. Shouldn’t it be focused more on what the majority of people want?

In 2016 you could make that argument a little bit because trump was so different and new in politics. “Economic Anxiety” Sounded much better than calling everyone a bigot or racist.

There’s no excuse for 2020. Trump, GOP, and those that voted for him showed what it was really about. Power.

Take every category a Trump voter falls into and it’s the same thing, power over something or someone.

And you’re right. Because of the maps and EC, literally every election now is a battle between some barely functional government and a collapse into authoritarian rule.

This is where a new guard is necessary in the Democratic Party. People who are with the timer and can mobilize the vote and not be afraid to call out the bullshit.

If Biden can somehow get covid under control I’ll feel better about 2022 and 2024

Just like in 2016, the GOP controls the media narrative on how we have to really understand and empathize with the Trump supporter.

Yet in both cases they were the minority voters. Shouldn’t it be focused more on what the majority of people want?

In 2016 you could make that argument a little bit because trump was so different and new in politics. “Economic Anxiety” Sounded much better than calling everyone a bigot or racist.

There’s no excuse for 2020. Trump, GOP, and those that voted for him showed what it was really about. Power.

Take every category a Trump voter falls into and it’s the same thing, power over something or someone.

And you’re right. Because of the maps and EC, literally every election now is a battle between some barely functional government and a collapse into authoritarian rule.

This is where a new guard is necessary in the Democratic Party. People who are with the timer and can mobilize the vote and not be afraid to call out the bullshit.

If Biden can somehow get covid under control I’ll feel better about 2022 and 2024
Should it be focused on the majority? Yes.

Should we ignore the minority? Doing so would be a monumental mistake.

The numbers may look to be enormous because we're dealing in millions. But it's 52% to 48%. That's not an overwhelming mandate.

Ignoring 48% of the population is a mistake that will lead to a the rise of a new Trump, and the next Trump may not be so erratic and transactional.

If Trump didn't butcher the response to covid, even with everything else he did, we may be having a completely different conversation today. Let's not lose sight of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom