US Politics XIII: Don Jr. The Worst Judgment of Anyone in the World. - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #501
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:15 AM
i'm not usually one to usually take Frank Bruni seriously on politics (wish he stayed with food). but he does get this part right, given what's going on this week:

Quote:
How do Democrats properly vet their candidates for president without cannibalizing them? How do they rightly insist on sensitive and inclusive leaders while making allowances for past mistakes, present quirks, human messiness and the differences in the conversation and the culture now versus 10 or 20 or 40 years ago?

That’s emerging as a central challenge of the Democratic presidential primary. And it’s worrying me.

I’m worried because there was an actual mini-debate on the left recently over whether Pete Buttigieg is gay enough. Do his whiteness, upper-middle-class background and Harvard and Oxford degrees nullify his experience as a minority and undercut his status as a trailblazer? This question is out there, in both senses of that phrase.

I’m worried because it in some ways echoes an earlier question about whether Kamala Harris — whose father came from Jamaica, whose mother came from India and whose husband is white — is black enough.

And I’m worried because of what Joe Biden is going through — because of the intensity of the censure that he faced after the Nevada politician Lucy Flores’s allegation and because of the fixation on precisely what kind of apology he must issue.

Flores of course accused him of coming up behind her, touching her shoulders and kissing the back of her head: a gesture that’s inappropriate and demeaning. Biden says that he doesn’t recall the incident, from 2014. The media has given this breathless coverage.

I’ve written that I don’t think Biden, 76, should run, for many reasons, including that someone in politics as long as he has been carries too much baggage; that Democratic voters have generally preferred candidates significantly younger than he is; and that he mismanaged and failed miserably in his two prior presidential campaigns.

But I feel just as strongly that Democrats need to show some proportion, realism and reason as they assess and react to candidates (or, in Biden’s case, probable candidates). With Biden especially but with others as well, too many Democrats aren’t doing that.

It’s nonnegotiable that Democrats hold their presidential aspirants to high standards on issues of racial justice, gender equality and more. It’s crucial that the party nominate someone who can credibly represent its proudly diverse ranks. But it’s also important that the party not demand a degree of purity that nobody attains.

I’m not recommending the Republicans’ course in accepting and protecting Donald Trump, which was to bury principles so deep that they may never be exhumed. I’m saying that to turn the Democratic primary into a nonstop apology tour when the nominee will be going up against a president never expected to apologize for anything is a risky strategy. It obsesses over the flaws in candidates who have many strengths, defining them in terms of what they seek forgiveness for. It blurs the line between job interview and inquisition. Taken too far, it rips contenders to shreds before Trump even takes out his scissors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/o...gtype=Homepage

Old 04-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #502
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:15 PM
qArg lost my whole multi-post.

For now i'll just say above article- yes, so true!

And that ex-San Antonio, ex HUD Secretary Julian Castro seems promising too.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #503
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i'm not usually one to usually take Frank Bruni seriously on politics (wish he stayed with food). but he does get this part right, given what's going on this week:

I don’t see this changing at all next year. If Bernie doesn’t get the nomination I’m afraid he’ll pull the same tactics he did last time. His most extreme followers, on top of any foreign troll campaign/influence will fracture an already sensitive and weak party compared to the GOP
Old 04-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #504
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:45 PM
If Bernie doesn't win he'll probably retire, lol.

"His most extreme followers" - got to love the threat of social democracy. I love you McBeal.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #505
Blue Crack Supplier

NYT

Quote:

Committee, using a little-known provision in the federal tax code, formally requested on Wednesday that the I.R.S. hand over six years of President Trump’s personal and business tax returns, starting what is likely to be a momentous fight with his administration.

Representative Richard E. Neal, Democrat of Massachusetts, hand-delivered a two-page letter laying out the request to Charles P. Rettig, the Internal Revenue Service commissioner, ending months of speculation about when he would do so and almost certainly prompting a legal challenge from the Trump administration.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #506
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I don’t see this changing at all next year. If Bernie doesn’t get the nomination I’m afraid he’ll pull the same tactics he did last time. His most extreme followers, on top of any foreign troll campaign/influence will fracture an already sensitive and weak party compared to the GOP

You really need to let it go. The article Irvine posted is making an exact example out of you right now.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #507
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I’m not the one who demands my candidates be saints. I hope they are good people, haven’t broken any laws, and have ideas or policies i feel is best for advancing society and making the world a better place.

There are many ways to accomplish this and if they don’t match up with every belief or ideal i have, they’re still better than the GOP

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...836972033?s=21

And there’s this
Old 04-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #508
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Fox News has had a habit of "misleading" graphics in the past. They showed a picture of Patti LaBelle when Aretha Franklin died, and put up a graphic a while back claiming that Ruth Bader Ginsberg had died. And those are just a couple of the more recent examples I can think of. I'm sure others can list more.

So either they really need to fire the person(s) who work in their graphics department, or they're pulling this shit intentionally. Given the kind of commentary they push on their network in general, it's not exactly a stretch to assume the latter is the case.

Didn't know that they showed Patti Labelle's photo instead of Aretha's!
(I have worked in several GDs not tv, tho )

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me much if they did this stuff on purpose!
I mean, i practically screamed when i "heard" that rgb had "died". Emotional Terrorism, i say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
It's sad that it's taking people this long that they've been lied to for 50 years by the Dems, since LBJ, and that they have been poor for 50 years, voted for Dems, and are still poor because that's how the Dems designed "The Great Society", for control, for votes, zero empowerment.

Explain why most urban cities are rum by Democrats, yet they are still poor, crime ridden, and filthy. Things will never improve for the poor, or minorities under Democrat rule. 50 years of history.
Oh, pleeeease, bs!

A bunch of the GS programs were cut way too short into their process, probably by Republicans, Conservatives, and probably a few Dems in Congress being impatient. Maybe Nixon, too? idk.
You think poverty that could back decades, hundreds of years is that easily earased? I was a ( middle class ) young teen then. I remember some of this, though didn't follow it closely.

Is it possible that that "impatience" masked a desire to squelsh these programs before they showed sucesses? Or could they have even started to show progress - and the more racist amongst the bunch maybe
thought 'wait, poor poc are doing better ? Oh, no, we can't have that now, can we? And probably a few didn't want the white poor to do better, either
*puts this on research mid-burner*

Let's not also forget that at least up here in NYC black & lantinx people a fair amount of them rose up into the middle class through through public sector jobs in the ?early 70's onward. Then came Reagan's "voodoo economics", and the Great Recession of 2008.

Oh, yes, let us also remember that poor white also commit crimes. It's poverty that is the biggest generator of crime. Though there is also genuine uber greed in some people in any type of "group".
Like u know who - the ubergreedy white guy well off to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
All I'm going to say is I said the movement for minorities becoming conservatives is growing,

Old 04-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #509
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Some of Robert S. Mueller III’s investigators have told associates that Attorney General William P. Barr failed to adequately portray the findings of their inquiry and that they were more troubling for President Trump than Mr. Barr indicated, according to government officials and others familiar with their simmering frustrations.

At stake in the dispute — the first evidence of tension between Mr. Barr and the special counsel’s office — is who shapes the public’s initial understanding of one of the most consequential government investigations in American history. Some members of Mr. Mueller’s team are concerned that, because Mr. Barr created the first narrative of the special counsel’s findings, Americans’ views will have hardened before the investigation’s conclusions become public.
So wait... an administration who has lied about literally fucking everything may have had an AG that was specifically put in place to protect Trump from the Mueller Report be less than honest about what was in the Mueller Report?

No. Fucking. Way.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #510
Blue Crack Addict

Better launch another investigation.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #511
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I’m not the one who demands my candidates be saints. I hope they are good people, haven’t broken any laws, and have ideas or policies i feel is best for advancing society and making the world a better place.

No, and the overall message was not that everyone is demanding the candidates be saints. That was part of it. The point was to not destroy and divide from within. You can’t help yourself but come with incredibly strong, negative, and incorrect feelings about a considerable amount of the democratic electorate. Reminder: at one point in time you literally suggested that Bernie Sanders should be a Republican.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #512
Blue Crack Supplier

ah, headache, you beat me to that latest NYT's article. Was just getting ready to post it.

Like the gif.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #513
Blue Crack Supplier

US Politics XIII: Don Jr. The Worst Judgment of Anyone in the World.

That article is literally the second time in 22 months the Mueller team has spoken to the press.

This isn’t going away.

I’m sure the DOJ will release the Report after the election, along with the new super awesome ACA replacement plan.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #514
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
No, and the overall message was not that everyone is demanding the candidates be saints. That was part of it. The point was to not destroy and divide from within. You can’t help yourself but come with incredibly strong, negative, and incorrect feelings about a considerable amount of the democratic electorate. Reminder: at one point in time you literally suggested that Bernie Sanders should be a Republican.

Yes, because he caters to rural whites. And because if he were to run under the GOP and say go up against a Clinton, i feel like the country could have a real debate over important policies.

You’d have two progressive agendas (one more progressive than the other) and more people would be educated on the issues.

That’s why i said he should go to the gop.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #515
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yes, because he caters to rural whites. And because if he were to run under the GOP and say go up against a Clinton, i feel like the country could have a real debate over important policies.

You’d have two progressive agendas (one more progressive than the other) and more people would be educated on the issues.

It’s like you have not a clue what the republicans and democrats are supposed to stand for. At all.

When someone refers to the Republican Party and says it’s a party of rural white Americans, they’re saying that as a literal statement. Not as a descriptive analysis of who the electorate is supposed to be.

Also it’s a horribly wrong statement. Sanders appeals to a grassroots movement. He appeals to young people. He just so happens to appeal to “rural white people” because he campaigned heavily there in a tactical effort to play ball against Clinton. I would wager that blue people in very red states are more ideological and appreciative of his message, as being pragmatic is useless to them.

Bernie Sanders is more left than Hillary Clinton. I can’t believe I have to say that.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #516
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:45 PM
A social democrat further to the left than all the other Democrat candidates (some of which are actually right leaning) somehow belonging more to the GOP is a truly galaxy brain take.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:42 PM   #517
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

I get what you're saying, but you're phrasing it completely backwards. A generic Clinton is a shit ton closer to what used to be considered a moderate Republican prior to the GOP going full Klan on us. That kind of candidate vs a democratic candidate like Sanders could lead to a real, meaningful debate. Sure.

But saying Bernie Sanders should run for the GOP is pretty dumb. Guy's about as left as they come, minus the guns and hidden tax returns and all.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:19 PM   #518
Blue Crack Addict

My take on the sanders tax return thing is that he’s got nothing to hide except the PR associated with him being in the one pa’cent of the one pa’cent would probably derail his campaign entirely. Just a theory; I think he lives a modest life but has more money than it seems.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:53 AM   #519
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
My take on the sanders tax return thing is that he’s got nothing to hide except the PR associated with him being in the one pa’cent of the one pa’cent would probably derail his campaign entirely. Just a theory; I think he lives a modest life but has more money than it seems.
I absolutely think this is what it is... That he's got a shit ton of cash, and/or that he takes advantage of tax loop holes that he preaches against.

Not for nothing, all Trump's tax returns are going to show is that he's not nearly as rich as he says he is. It's not like there's going to be a W2 in there from the GRU.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:44 AM   #520
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I agree with Bernie’s tax issues. He’s a rich hypocrite, and personally i don’t care that much. I would take advantage of that shit too. Especially since they have family (think his wife brought kids into the marriage right ?)

Back to the Orange one

We are going to feel the pain of these four (potentially 8 or more) years for a long as time

https://twitter.com/fmkaplan/status/...363176449?s=21

And i didn’t want to link another twitter news article but the Senate just passed the nuclear option to get more of the far rights judges through faster. So even if we get him out in 2020, the courts are stacked in favor of the GOP for decades