US Politics VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with that, some people are a mixture and sometimes worth taking the bad with the good. Sometimes.

If you're only ever one thing what's the point of life? You're supposed to change and grow and learn.

I don’t agree with it either. I think people are complicated and compromised.

And if anyone had ever continued to target my mother (once would have been enough) while she was slowly dying of cancer I would have wanted to beat the living you know what out of them . And I'm not a violent person. My mother was a wonderful person. She wasn't perfect, no one is. She was never one thing, not one thing in the end either.

There's something radically wrong with Trump that he continues to do this. Even after calling Meghan McCain to apologize etc. It's sick.

It's a completely invented and imagined "other end" that was always just less obvious about doing more or less the same things.

John McCain likes money and war. That's really his only lasting legacy in the end.

John McCain is a man of convictions. To suggest he’s about money I think misses the mark.

Yes, he’s a dirty Warhawk by many accounts. That will be his main legacy. But in what seems to be that man’s final decade, he’s managed to evolve in other aspects and progress, if not as a leader but instead as a follower.

That’s okay in my books.

If you think 90s Democrats and 90s Republicans were dramatically different... the Clintons and Bushes and what have you... it’s hard to say there’s a difference between ANY of them.

I would venture to say there’s GREATER differences between the McCains and bible thumpers (ie politicians vs. zealots) than there are between the McCains and the Clintons. So much as to say that if McCain wasn’t such a stubborn man, he’d have become a Democrat by now. All of those Republican holdouts without spines... they’ll be democrats like the Charlie Crists of this world in due time. Just like the racist pig democrats of the 60s and how they slowly turned into republicans by the 80s.

Do tell.

If illegal immigrants are coming to kill you (and run Nancy Pelosi’s campaign) don’t you want the man in orange to protect you? From the 4-year olds.

The administration is being nakedly racist and full on white nationalist.

Of all the unfortunate things said in 'Free Your Mind' in the last two years or so, the Nazi Germany/genocide-type comments bother me.

Sorry.

Of all the unfortunate things said in 'Free Your Mind' in the last two years or so, the Nazi Germany/genocide-type comments bother me.

Sorry.
The most unfortunate thing said in Free Your Mind over the past two years has been "Donald Trump is President."

That aside... I agree that I don't think we're headed in the direction of genocide. There are many despicable things that this administration has done, and that the GOP have been spineless to stop. But i can't see it going that far. Not here.

But i never thought I'd see a rise of blatant racism and white nationalism here, either. Yet here we are. It's worth paying attention to. It can never happen here... until it does.

Sorry.

You aren’t concerned at the amped up anti-immigrant language this week? The MS-13 boogeyman? The “tender age” internment camps? The people trotted out holding pictures of loved ones killed by “illegals” (as if victims of mass shootings done by white men would get the time of Day from the administration)? These are justifications for genocide. When do we invade Mexico to pre-empt MS-13?

Trump is an entirely different politician than we’ve ever seen in this country. For me, this past week, the Nazi comparisons have started to become not as far off the mark as they usually are.

Ask yourself what you would be doing if you were in 1930s Germany.

I’m so sorry for your loss MrsS. I know it was very hard for you the last few years and watching your mom suffer but it is still always a big shock emotionally no matter what. Onward until you see her again...

We need to stop saying it can’t happen here.

It absolutely can.

Will it? Don’t know, no one really knows.

But the rhetoric, the policies and actions over the past 18 months has pushed us closer than we have been.

And if anyone had ever continued to target my mother (once would have been enough) while she was slowly dying of cancer I would have wanted to beat the living you know what out of them . And I'm not a violent person. My mother was a wonderful person. She wasn't perfect, no one is. She was never one thing, not one thing in the end either.

There's something radically wrong with Trump that he continues to do this. Even after calling Meghan McCain to apologize etc. It's sick.
I am really sorry to hear about your mom! My deepest condolences to you!

We need to stop saying it can’t happen here.

It absolutely can.

Will it? Don’t know, no one really knows.

But the rhetoric, the policies and actions over the past 18 months has pushed us closer than we have been.

We had actual Nazis marching in Charlottesville last summer.

I’m so sorry for your loss MrsS. I know it was very hard for you the last few years and watching your mom suffer but it is still always a big shock emotionally no matter what. Onward until you see her again...

Thank you. She was my best friend too, so I've lost my Mom and my best friend.

My Mom didn't hate anyone (she hated bigotry and unfairness and everything else you're supposed to hate), so I won't say she hated Trump. But I will say she couldn't stand him and was appalled that he was elected. During the campaign I used to tell her he was going to win, because I just felt it in my bones. She would say oh don't say that, it will never happen. With all that happened with Comey etc she used to say every day that he would get impeached. It was wishful thinking.

We watched Hillary get the nomination together, we voted for her together. My Mom had a whole year during which she was doing better, it was a chronic illness until last September when we found out about the cancer.

On inauguration day we went to see the movie Hidden Figures together, I thought it was a very appropriate choice. Then otherwise avoided the tv. I told her a couple of weeks before she died that when she got to Heaven she better do something about Trump. We had a laugh about it. She could always make me laugh even under the worst possible circumstances, she had the best sense of humor. I don't think Trump would have known what to say or do if he had ever met my Mom, she would have taken him down many pegs.

Your mom sounds like she was an awesome person, MrsS. I too send my condolences to you :hug:.

I just want Trump (and Pence) out of the White House at this point, and preferably before 2020, so we don't have to deal with the possibility of him being re-elected. That is literally all I'm asking for. He deserves to be in jail, too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one happening*, so if I can at least see him being made to leave the White House, I'll be happy.

*I would like to see him actually suffer some kind of consequence for his actions, though, just so he can finally get the memo that he can't get away with just anything. What consequences those would be specifically, I don't know, but he deserves some sort of punishment.

so, going back a few pages, for those of us who don't understand how tariffs/trade wars work:

A nail manufacturer in the mid-west state of Missouri says it has lost 50% of its business in two weeks, thanks to the new tariffs on steel imports.

Mid Continent Nail Corporation imports steel wire from Mexico, so has seen prices surge to uncompetitive levels thanks to the 25% tariff on imports imposed by Trump earlier this year.

The company has already laid off 60 temporary staff, and could axe another 200 by the end of July unless it gets a tariff exemption, quickly.

According to local news outlet Missourinet, Mid Continent Nail Corporation produces half of the nails made in America, but has seen orders tumble as customers find cheaper products elsewhere.

oh yeah, and Harley Davidson is taking a hit too and is shifting some production out of the US as a result

Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
The Red Hen Restaurant should focus more on cleaning its filthy canopies, doors and windows (badly needs a paint job) rather than refusing to serve a fine person like Sarah Huckabee Sanders. I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it is dirty on the inside!

Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
The Red Hen Restaurant should focus more on cleaning its filthy canopies, doors and windows (badly needs a paint job) rather than refusing to serve a fine person like Sarah Huckabee Sanders. I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it is dirty on the inside!

I thought he had restaurants that were dirty, I vaguely remember reading about one inside Trump Tower ?

I don't know about that whole refusing to serve her thing, even though she gets up there and defends him and lies for him and says some repulsive things. If it's my restaurant I serve her. There's something fundamentally wrong to me about refusing to serve someone. I leave the judgment of her to a higher power. It's a restaurant, not a tribunal.

I thought he had restaurants that were dirty, I vaguely remember reading about one inside Trump Tower ?

I don't know about that whole refusing to serve her thing, even though she gets up there and defends him and lies for him and says some repulsive things. If it's my restaurant I serve her. There's something fundamentally wrong to me about refusing to serve someone. I leave the judgment of her to a higher power. It's a restaurant, not a tribunal.
True that, but what really gets me is the hypocrisy in this administration such that, they were totally fine when that bakery didn’t serv the gay couple but are all up in arms that a restaurant didn’t serve Sarah Sanders. And also the fact that the president is tweeting about such pitty things instead of focusing on you know real issues and presidenting.

Last edited:
Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

another ethics breach then by a person in public office!

when will this idiot be impeached?

True that, but what really gets me is the hypocrisy in this administration such that, they were totally fine when that bakery didn’t serv the gay couple but are all up in arms that a restaurant didn’t serve Sarah Sanders. And also the fact that the president is tweeting about such pitty things instead of focusing on you know real issues and presidenting.

Oh absolutely, the gay couple bakery issue is total hypocrisy and disgusting. So if you don't serve her for that reason I completely get that. Me I serve her then go to her table, make a classy blunt statement about exactly that hypocrisy, then walk away.

another ethics breach then by a person in public office!

when will this idiot be impeached?

One can only hope! Both Sarah Sanders and mr orange I believe are breaking the law by using their official government positions to go after this restaurant but unfortunately unless the democrats get a majority government in November, nothing will happen. And even with a majority I don’t know if anything will happen anyway. Sadly.

Oh absolutely, the gay couple bakery issue is total hypocrisy and disgusting. So if you don't serve her for that reason I completely get that. Me I serve her then go to her table, make a classy blunt statement about exactly that hypocrisy, then walk away.

Yes I would probably serve her but if she was at my restaurant I would use that opportunity to tell her how I really feel about her and her administration.

i don't know how they dare even eat in restaurants - don't they realise people will be spitting, sneezing etc into their food?

if i was forced to serve them, i would do my apologetic* clumsy waitress trick and make them wear their food :D

*as in Father Jack style obvs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom