Rosie O'Donnell Unleashes Racist Tirade!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flying FuManchu said:

The difference is that it was in a comedy routine. Seeing other routines from people who go blue, Kramer's "tirade" may have sucked and but wasn't that shocking to me.

Hell, I've heard people say that if Richards had just left it at the lynching joke, he wouldn't have gotten the response he did. It was his use of the n-word that pissed people off.

Routine? It was definately not a routine.

Suggesting violence and making fun of someone's language...I see a difference. Won't defend either one of them though.

Not in the same league as Kramer as far as the vitriol and language and intent perhaps, but neither one is appealing to say the least.

Rosie also accused Kelly Ripa of being homophobic because she didn't like Clay Aiken putting his hand over her mouth and she said something to the effect that "I don't know where that hand has been". Honestly I can see both sides of it and why Rosie could see it that way- but until I have concrete evidence that Kelly Ripa is a homophobe, I will give her the benefit of the doubt on that one. Not to mention that Rosie basically outed Clay when he has never come out himself. I don't know her of course, but Rosie can sometimes come across as seeing everything as being homophobic through her own personal prism as a lesbian. I really am not entitled to pass judgment on that, as I don't live in her shoes. But sometimes I think that someone who is justifiably so sensitive to homophobia as a form of bigotry might be a little more sensitive to bigotry of all forms, and to the feelings of anyone she is joking about, imiatating, whatever. It's just really in poor taste to say the least to imitate Asian people in such a way.

It's an interesting issue to me- whether certain people who experience discrimination and bigotry are always more sensitive to it and therefore less apt to be guilty of that and of anything that can be taken as being bigoted, racist, whatever.

No matter what she said...the question that should be on everyone's mind is HOW DID THIS WOMAN GET SO SUCCESSFUL??
Really, I'm not joking. She's ugly AND has NO personality!!! How then does she manage to always be in the public eye and make huge amounts of money. It's disgusting and shows that there really is no justice when it comes to the entertainment industry.

P.S. I'm not judging her "off-air" - maybe she's got a great personality off-air (I highly doubt it but maybe). Of all the past and future potential talents out there we get stuck with Rosie - just not fair that's all.

Last edited:
DaveC said:

I'm extremely skinny - I stand 5'10" and weight 125 lb - and have been all my life. I took so much shit for it in grade school that I nearly killed myself a couple times. I've heard every name in the book and heard "why don't you just eat more?" so often I want to punch people when they say it to me now. It's genetic, it's who I am; I eat way more (we're talking thousands of calories more) than most people my age and still never gain a pound. I tried working out this summer for about four months before school took away my time. I know it's a short amount of time, but again I saw literally zero gains, and I was doing everything right.

Wow! You're just like me! I'm 5'11" and 127 lbs. Can't put on weight to save my life. I had a very similar experience to you growing up.

DaveC said:

I know being skinny isn't quite the same as racism.

Indeed it is not. Being both skinny and black, I can tell you there is a world of difference. There's no history of the enslavement of skinny people. There was never an attempt to rid the world of all people under 130 lbs. There was never a Skinny People Exclusionary Act to either limit or outright ban people from entering the U.S. based soley on their weight.

But that's history, right? The past, yes?

Yes, but the past shapes the present. I find far too often that people don't understand the issues of history and power in shaping the level of offense taken. Those who have historically, and presently still hold the power in our society generally take less offense at insults based on their race, gender, sexual orientation etc and at the same time must be more careful of their behavior towards those in the minority, i.e. those with less power.

It's as simple as this: When a black man is called a n----r by a white man, he has good reason and historical precedent to believe that what follows next may be physical violence. On the other hand, if a skinny person is called "beanpole" or whatever, he has no good reason to expect that a lynching could very well follow soon after.

Another analogy. When a child kicks an adult, we might reprimand the child but we won't be calling the cops. If an adult kicks a child however, we will definitely be involving the authorities. Why? What's the difference, kicking is kicking right? Of course not. The fact that the adult has the power makes all the difference in the world. White comedians can't do racial humor for the same reasons adults can't hit kids. (Which is not to suggest that blacks are "children." I'm simply arguing that in America white is still the "norm" and thus the power; they don't have to fear marginilazation on account of their race). Minority comedians racial humor is "tolerated" or even considered funny for the same reason.
DaveC said:

One further observation before I go: Does it strike anyone as odd that if Dave Chappelle went on television and did the exact same thing, it would be absolutely gut-bustingly funny? I realize Chappelle's Show is (was) satire, but there are no white comedians on television doing racial comedy (Sarah Silverman being the only exception I can think of, and even still her provocative stuff is kept to paying audiences at stand-up shows who know what they're going to see beforehand), and I venture even further to say that if such a show existed (ie if Dave Chappelle was a white guy) it wouldn't be on the air past the pilot episode.

I think this is a good point, but once again the power differential comes into play. I'd also point out that what Rosie said wasn't particularly funny or insightful. It was playing in to the most, tired and hackneyed of stereotypes about Asians. Chappelle (and Silverman for that matter) can often be insightful, thought-provoking, and discomfiting even in their offensiveness.

Finally, if the fact that Rosie is left-leaning is motivationg people to criticize her behavior (or to defend it), that is pretty pathetic. Her politics or sexual orientation should not make her any more guilty or give her a "free pass."

Oh well, typical FYM-when you don't agree with what a female says or does, criticize her weight and how she looks. Some of you guys should really try to evolve past your high school and frat boy mentalities.

It is so offensive for the females who choose to participate here :down:

I was hoping I wouldn't have to step into this thread, but it looks unavoidable now. *sigh*

Please keep the discussion to the topic at hand. Comments like the one made above are not only rude, but they don't serve to further any meaningful discussion.

Thanks.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Oh well, typical FYM-when you don't agree with what a female says or does, criticize her weight and how she looks. Some of you guys should really try to evolve past your high school and frat boy mentalities.

It is so offensive for the females who choose to participate here :down:

But can I still call Rush a fat cow? :)

I can definitely see how Rosie's "ching chang chong" can be viewed as racist. However I don't think it's on the same level as Richards' tirade, because I think an intelligent observer has to consider intent. Richards' remarks were racist, and certainly were not ambiguous in any way; it was abundantly clear what he said & meant by them, despite his subsequent "apology". What Rosie said was ignorant, and bigoted, but I don't think it was intentionally offensive. Attacking her comments because of her gender, sexual orientation, weight, or politics is wrong...but so is defending her because of any of them - I suspect we've seen a bit of both in this thread.

Honestly I have never seen any female here call Rush a fat cow when they disagree with him, maybe I'm just mistaken. I don't care if he weighs 400 lbs or 98 lbs, that has nothing to do with his sexism and how offensive I find him to be on many levels. I have seen however sexist comments by him which I have responded to, and plenty of sexist comments posted by males in FYM in general. And yes it is offensive to me as a female, and yes I think it is indicative of a frat boy unevolved mentality. If I'm wrong for speaking out against that, well I will be as wrong as wrong can be. It's funny that so many isms are spoken against ad infinitum in FYM, but sexism isn't, and sexist comments go unnoticed and aren't commented on-no one seems very outraged at all, save for the one or two or three males here who will say anything. Or it's not funny...

I even recently had a male here make a comment to me about my hormones, now that's not rude or sexist is it? Maybe my hormones just have me in a state of confusion...

Overall I'd say that Rosie or any other female is far more likely to have her looks and weight commented on in FYM than Rush Limbaugh or any other heavier man is-in fact, I'd bet my life on it.

I don't care what the sexual orientation, gender, or politics is of anyone-offensive bigoted comments are just that no matter who is making them.

MrsSpringsteen said:
My comment is rude? If that's what you are saying well sorry, I don't agree at all. I'm so sick of seeing sexist comments about females here.

:huh:

I'm sorry if you misunderstood.

Calling anyone a
fucking cow
is not called for. I urge all responsible posters to please refrain from doing so.

I hope that's clear enough.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Honestly I have never seen any female here call Rush a fat cow when they disagree with him, maybe I'm just mistaken.

while i agree that comments about Rosie's looks and weight are totally irrelevant to this thread and, yes, quite sexist since you're absolutely right, insults to a woman's appearance are seeing as having currency in some circles, i still have no problems calling Rush Limbaugh a fat drug addict when he mocks people with Parkinson's Disease.

:)

sulawesigirl4 said:

Well you said "comments such as the one made above" and mine was the one made above-so I don't think my confusion was all that odd. And honestly given the way things are sometimes in FYM I do feel confused. Anyway thanks for the clarification.

And the other comment about her being ugly was uncalled for and completely irrelevant to the topic as well.

By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer Thu Dec 14

Rosie O'Donnell says she's sorry for mocking spoken Chinese on "The View," but an association that represents journalists from diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, including Chinese American, says it wasn't enough.

In a Dec. 5 segment, O'Donnell joked about how Danny DeVito's recent — and seemingly drunken — appearance on the ABC daytime talk show had become international news.

"You know, you can imagine in China it's like `ching chong, ching chong chong, Danny DeVito, ching chong chong chong, drunk, "The View," ching chong,'" the 44-year-old comedian said.

On Thursday's show, she told the audience: "To say ching chong to someone is very offensive, and some Asian people have told me it's as bad as the n-word. Which I was like, `Really? I didn't know that.'"

Karen Lincoln Michel, president-elect of Unity: Journalists of Color Inc., said O'Donnell's remarks "really didn't sound like an apology to me."

Lincoln Michel said Unity was waiting for Barbara Walters, who created the show, to respond to a letter asking her to publicly acknowledge that O'Donnell's remarks were "patently offensive."

"I think by allowing Rosie O'Donnell's cheap jabs at Chinese Americans to go unchecked, then the network is essentially condoning racial and ethnic slurs," Lincoln Michel told the AP in a phone interview.

Unity said it represents more than 10,000 journalists nationwide.

"You know it was never (my) intent to mock," O'Donnell said on Thursday's show, "and I'm sorry for those people who felt hurt or were teased on the playground."

"But I'm also gonna give you a fair warning that there's a good chance I'll do something like that again, probably in the next week — not on purpose. Only 'cause it's how my brain works."

O'Donnell characterized her accent as "Chinese, Asian, pseudo-Japanese, sounded a little Yiddish ..."

Last edited:
sulawesigirl4 said:

Calling anyone a is not called for. I urge all responsible posters to please refrain from doing so.

I hope that's clear enough.

How about this Fucking Bovine!!!!

A bovine includes both male and females of the bovine family. Is that more PC for you?

You know what I hate her. Not because she is a female. Because she's Rosie O'Donnell. If you take my saying "cow" as sexist I didn't mean it that way. Next time I will bash someone as an equal opportunist. Sorry. :huh:

Last edited:
Please, that was no racist tirade! Lighten up already. When Rosie does her stand up on HBO, she can be quite funny! Rosie is no racist and I didn't hear her use any chinese slurs during this goofy segment on The View.

This is seriously getting absolutely ludicrous.

Yes, she shouldn't have said what she did.
Yes, some are inevitably slighted.

She apologized. It's "not enough"? What the fuck are people expecting, the god damned Taj Mahal?

I'm getting awfully sick of people who say "it's not enough" at a stupid comment like this. This wasn't racist. Bigoted, yes. Stupid, yes. But I can walk down a city street and hear much worse within a 5-block radius of my house, for god's sakes.

"It's not enough"...BULLSHIT.

I'm not sticking up for Rosie O'Donnell (god forbid), but I think we're getting to the point that people get giddy when someone in the public eye says something that might be offensive to somebody, somewhere. The apology is never "enough". But it seems a cool half-mil is always "enough".

We're starting to see moral outrage for the sake of being able to milk cash out of people.

Next time someone calls an Irishman a drunkard, or a Canadian a hoser maybe I should sue for millions...oh wait a sec, I almost forgot - I'm a white Protestant. I'm not allowed to get offended when someone makes fun of my ethnicity. Oops! :hmm:

^Yes and all that-but on the other hand she jumps all over Kelly Ripa and calls her a homophobe for what she said. But she apparently doesn't have the same level of standards for her own behavior, methinks perhaps..

gherman said:

How about this Fucking Bovine!!!!

A bovine includes both male and females of the bovine family. Is that more PC for you?

You know what I hate her. Not because she is a female. Because she's Rosie O'Donnell. If you take my saying "cow" as sexist I didn't mean it that way. Next time I will bash someone as an equal opportunist. Sorry. :huh:
:rolleyes:

What, an apology isn't "enough"? What's she supposed to do, erect a monument to the Chinese? I don't want to defend her, God forbid, but I think it's stupid that they don't want to accept her apology. I'm sure it's heartfelt.

Back
Top Bottom