Republican Collapse Among Young Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, who cares about the electorate? :wink:

I personally just find it incredibly stupid to join a party at this point. I can still vote as an independent! (well, in a year and a half) I don't need to have a label carried around about my views when I don't agree with either side.

True, but everybodies views fall under some banner or another, independent is a fallacy (even if you vote for multiple parties depending on the issues), my own libertarianism for lack of better terms is matched with a degree of anarchism and truth be told skepticism to the virtues of the market to deliver outcomes to all (basic research and labour issues are two areas that directly contradict most right libertarian orthodoxy that I am willing to entertain lefties deliver better outcomes). I certainly wouldn't be registered wth any party (since the only distinction is my level of animosity and for what reason) perhaps one could remain apolitical but engaged.

A_Wanderer said:
True, but anything greater inevitably prevents politicians from consolidating power
It really doesn't, though. In multi-party systems you end up with a lot of alliances between parties that might have differing mandates, but a shared opinion on a certain piece of legislation.

If a multi-party system provides more choices for people, and they don't have to vote straight-ticket Dem/GOP just because they feel it's the least worst option, then it's a start.

As far as the electorate not mattering, that's why we got the Electoral College - to protect the unwashed masses from their collective opinion, am I rite?

Well, I'm a little disappointed to discover that I no longer belong in the category of a "young person". (18-31 according to the survey). :(

**sigh**

At any rate, my sister in law still belongs in the category and she proclaims herself to be conservative. Except that she's basically a liberal on all the social issues, dislikes Bush, opposes the war in Iraq etc. I asked her, in what sense she's a conservative, then?

She said she doesn't like "handouts."

"So it's just you don't like the poor, then?" I said. :macdevil:

I'm sure she wouldn't characterize it quite like that but nonetheless. . .

So perhaps, there still are young economic conservatives. . .

maycocksean said:
She said she doesn't like "handouts."

Everyone likes handouts. Some people just don't like handouts to others. :wink:

All of this is just hogwash as long as people like Karl Rove and Alberto Gonzales, and their disciples after them, exist in positions of power and continue to corrupt and rig the election process. And, of course, as long as the media in this country continue to remain happily chewing the cud, bought lock stock and barrel, editors in thrall to CEO's at the head of gigantic multinational behemoths more often than not owned or in league with the very entities that any progressive government would seek to control. So far, the people seem to have little power in affeciting decisions. And if Murdoch gets his way with the WSJ....kiss the media totally goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom