Nobel Peace Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
so ... Gore has an Oscar and a Nobel Peace Prize, and Bush is widely considered the most incompetent president in history.

it seems as if Gore really did win in 2000, and it was America that lost.
Looking at his reaction after the Oklahoma City Bombing you may have been fucked either way, at least on a civil liberties front.

A_Wanderer said:
Looking at his reaction after the Oklahoma City Bombing you may have been fucked either way, at least on a civil liberties front.

who would Gore wiretapp, detain, and torture?

INDY500 said:

Foreign terrorists plotting the mass-murder of Americans...hopefully.

i don't think he'd torture anybody.

but Gore isn't Bush. and let's just hope that Bush doesn't decide he wants to detain you, INDY, without giving a reason, because he's given himself the powers to do so. but, hey, what's the good in enabling the greatest expansion of executive power in the history of the United States if you don't intend to give yourself some cool new powers?

Irvine511 said:
so ... Gore has an Oscar and a Nobel Peace Prize, and Bush is widely considered the most incompetent president in history.

Looks to be the case.

I think one reason people like Gore so much is that he expresses his message about the importance of saving the environment in a way that doesn't turn off those who may not be totally convinced (in other words, he's not preachy). He's done his research, he explains it in a way that people can understand, and that's very commendable.

But anywho, congratulations to Gore and the IPCC on winning the award. You've all earned it :applaud: :up:.

And that Doris seems like an awesome lady :D.

Angela

Irvine511 said:

i don't think he'd torture anybody.

but Gore isn't Bush. and let's just hope that Bush doesn't decide he wants to detain you, INDY, without giving a reason, because he's given himself the powers to do so. but, hey, what's the good in enabling the greatest expansion of executive power in the history of the United States if you don't intend to give yourself some cool new powers?

Incidentally, did Al Gore really win an Oscar? Or as the "star" was he just allowed to make the acceptance speech.

From the official Oscar site. http://www.oscars.org/79academyawards/nomswins.html

“An Inconvenient Truth” (Paramount Classics and Participant Productions)
A Lawrence Bender/Laurie David Production
Davis Guggenheim

INDY500 said:

Incidentally, did Al Gore really win an Oscar? Or as the "star" was he just allowed to make the acceptance speech.

From the official Oscar site. http://www.oscars.org/79academyawards/nomswins.html

“An Inconvenient Truth” (Paramount Classics and Participant Productions)
A Lawrence Bender/Laurie David Production
Davis Guggenheim

I do believe that he personally did not win the Oscar. He was coaxed up to the stage by the producers if memory serves.

I'm definitely going to go to the reading/signing Doris Lessing is doing in a couple of weeks at the university where I work. :love:

I'm so mad about this! It is a very prestigious award and its honor if you receive it. Al Gore didnt deserve it at all!!! He made some daft movie that was it.
He even said himself, 'i dont live by what i stand for'
he drives a sports car polluting the earth and blasts his air conditioning in his mansion
I dont see what hes done for anybody.

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
It is a very prestigious award and its honor if you receive it. .

I think the scientific awards still mean something, the so-called peace prize has been devalued by the chancers that have been awarded it in the past. I agree with your assessment of Mr Gore. He is an awful old pompous windbag.

I don't agree with your opinions on Gore, but even the detractors have got to admit he's better than the last U.S. VP to win the prize. That was Charles Dawes, in 1923, who won for introducing what came to be known as the "Dawes Plan." This was the plan agree upon by the various Western powers for reperations to be paid by Germany after World War I.

If you know anything about what kind of penance the Germans had to do for the crime of starting WWI, you begin to see why this beats such "dubious" past honorees as Arafat, Kissinger, and Gore ,if you put him in that company. They don't hold a candle to this guy. The legacy of the effects of the Dawes Plan (along with lots of other things, but it was a BIG part) are what enabled Hitler to rise and assume power. I always wondered what the Nobel committee thought of that decision in later years.

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
. Al Gore didnt deserve it at all!!! He made some daft movie that was it.

You of course are entitled to your opinion. But the fact is that he has been trying raise awareness of climate change since the 1970's.

eltimbomofo said:

You of course are entitled to your opinion. But the fact is that he has been trying raise awareness of climate change since the 1970's.

but hes not making any changes in his own life to promote it.
practice what you preach

eltimbomofo said:

Sure, but back then climate change wasn't about global warming, it was about the ice age that we are still heading towards (at the slow rate of abberations in planetary orbit)

EdgeIsTooSexy said:

but hes not making any changes in his own life to promote it.
practice what you preach

he just made a movie that raised global warming from an 'issue' to a 'crisis' -- which it rightfully is.

but that's fine.

i'll assume you won't buy a single U2 album in the future or a concert ticket until Bono sells his homes and possessions and goes to live in Uganda, because he's not a real activist unless he does so.

The Nobel prizes have become a mainly political decision in recent years, even the literature prize. Somehow everyone expected Gore to win because of the ongoing climate discussion, and now that he won everyone says: what a slap in the face of the Bush administration. The Nobel Peace Prize has become a spectacle in itself, and Bono couldn't be any more showbiz than Al Gore. I'm not saying that Bono should win nor am I saying that Gore doesn't deserve it, I think it's great he got it. The Nobel prize is an award for global commitment and thus it more often than not goes to high-profile people, though I believe it would be more needed for other people and projects.

Teta040 said:
I don't agree with your opinions on Gore, but even the detractors have got to admit he's better than the last U.S. VP to win the prize. That was Charles Dawes, in 1923, who won for introducing what came to be known as the "Dawes Plan." This was the plan agree upon by the various Western powers for reperations to be paid by Germany after World War I.

If you know anything about what kind of penance the Germans had to do for the crime of starting WWI, you begin to see why this beats such "dubious" past honorees as Arafat, Kissinger, and Gore ,if you put him in that company. They don't hold a candle to this guy. The legacy of the effects of the Dawes Plan (along with lots of other things, but it was a BIG part) are what enabled Hitler to rise and assume power. I always wondered what the Nobel committee thought of that decision in later years.

The great irony is that in the very same year, 1923, when he got the Nobel Peace Prize, inflation in Germany reached its peak which was caused by the reparations Germany had to pay.

With Gore the IPCC got honored, which I think is a good thing. They give the scientifical backing to his claims, and although his inconvenient truth sometimes lacks this truth, the IPCC findings are a realistic assessment of what might happen within the next twenty to fifty years.

I'm not meaning to be contrarian, but. . .

I don't really see why Gore got the Peace Prize (as admirable as his work is). What does raising awareness about global warming have to do with promoting world peace?

And as for Lessing. . .she may be a fine writer, but I found her response to the news of her being awarded the prize to be graceless and arrogant. If she really doesn't give a shit about the prize, take it back and give it to someone else. I don't find the "crusty old cantankerous 88 year old who's earned the right to be a jerk" bit endearing or admirable.

But, on the other hand, truer words than these haven't been spoken in awhile:

Irvine511 said:

maycocksean said:

I don't really see why Gore got the Peace Prize (as admirable as his work is). What does raising awareness about global warming have to do with promoting world peace?

I think a lot.

As resources are depleted because of the wasteful way we live, what do you think disputes are going to become about? Do you think regions of Africa would not be more stable were soil erosion patters and drought situations different? What about water? Water is going to be the new oil, because much like oil, it is not uniformly spread throughout the world. Increases in temperature and warmer and dryer weather will play large and important roles in irrigation. It may sound ridiculous to you, but there is a very strong, if subtle, awareness in Canada of how much water we've got and our possibly unfortunate proximity to a country which comes and "secures" natural resources that are key to a global economy. We have already had situations where American corporations (and even localities) have attempted to purchase entire lakes because the US southwest has built their entire system of agriculture on a completely unsustainable model, and they are beginning to face that ugly reality more and more.

So whether or not I think Gore should have got it, the issue itself being awarded a Nobel Peace Prize - I've got no problem with it whatsoever.

maycocksean said:

And as for Lessing. . .she may be a fine writer, but I found her response to the news of her being awarded the prize to be graceless and arrogant. If she really doesn't give a shit about the prize, take it back and give it to someone else. I don't find the "crusty old cantankerous 88 year old who's earned the right to be a jerk" bit endearing or admirable.

Maybe it's a woman thing.:wink:

maycocksean said:
I

Did you see the video clip? It sounds different in the transcript but I found her just real and yes, very endearing, in the video. A lot of people genuinely don't care much about awards (Woody Allen). I don't think she was arrogant at all, just honest, and yes, a bit cantankerous. I would hate to come home to my quiet house and find paparazzi there waiting to catch me off guard. That may have had more to do with her response than the Nobel itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBODHFBZ8k&mode=related&search=

Irvine511 said:

he just made a movie that raised global warming from an 'issue' to a 'crisis' -- which it rightfully is.

but that's fine.

i'll assume you won't buy a single U2 album in the future or a concert ticket until Bono sells his homes and possessions and goes to live in Uganda, because he's not a real activist unless he does so.

bono has went over to africa and helped out in refugee camps. hes done something about it.

EdgeIsTooSexy said:

bono has went over to africa and helped out in refugee camps. hes done something about it.

and Al Gore made a movie that has heightened the awareness of climate change, and he's been an activist on this subject for far, far longer than Bono has done stuff for Africa.

Back
Top Bottom