More Orwellian everyday: APCs on LA streets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

the people who were arrested knew they were breaking the law and probably counted on getting arrested. let's not make it out to be anything more than that, shall we?

:yawn: Many innocent people were arrested, including people who were going to the movies, shoppers coming out of stores, and members of the press.

joyfulgirl said:

:yawn: Many innocent people were arrested, including people who were going to the movies, shoppers coming out of stores, and members of the press.

were you there? or did you just read about it on the internet and in the papers? just curious, that's all...

i happened to be in manhattan durring a couple of the larger protests. i did not witness this myself. quite possiable that it did happen, but i sure didn't see it. no one said boo to me when i came out of a bar to watch thousands of bike riders illegaly block the traffic on 14th and 7th, about 2 dozen or so got arrested.

were there a few issues where innocent people were swooped up as part of the crowd? i'm sure... was it the norm? absolutely not. and if someone was swooped up in a protest but was actually comming out of a movie theatre, one would think that the movie ticket in their pocket would put an end to that case pretty quickly.

mistaken identity happens... it's not the norm, but it happens.

Last edited:
No, I wasn't there, but friends were and witnessed directly innocent people being arrested, and yes, it was reported on the news and in the papers. It was chaotic of course and mistakes like that could have easily been made.

nbcrusader said:
Must be more of those indymedia reports.....

Actually CBS news was one of them:

http://cbsnewyork.com/rnc/rnc_story_259212655.html

Twenty percent of the people who were arrested were not demonstrators, they were bystanders," said Donna Lieberman, executive director of the NYCLU.
Simone Levine, a representative from the National Lawyers Guild, which monitored many of the demonstrations, said 15 of her group's legal observers were arrested during protests, including one who was hit by a police club and another who was thrown to the ground.
Civil rights attorney Norman Siegel said one man who'd just bought a pastrami sandwich at a delicatessen stepped outside, was arrested and was held for 27 hours. Other arrestees, including a man who had his jaw broken, a pregnant woman and a man who suffered a collapsed intestine were denied medical attention, he said.

I really don't know what would you would accept as believable evidence, though.

i accept my own eyes as evidence... my own eyes which saw "peaceful protesters" disobeying the law, disobeying the police, and then screaming that their rights were being violated as they resisted arrest, yelling at those of us who were standing around watching for "allowing this police state to continue while doing nothing to stop it," to which i replied "eh... you're breaking the law, and i'm voting for bush" to which i was cursed at. :shrug: that's what i saw.

Last edited:
I hear Bush is secretly breeding a clone army on the planet Kamino, cloned from some Native bounty hunter by the name of Jango Fett. :wink:

i accept my own eyes as evidence... my own eyes which saw "peaceful protesters" disobeying the law, disobeying the police, and then screaming that their rights were being violated as they resisted arrest, yelling at those of us who were standing around watching for "allowing this police state to continue while doing nothing to stop it," to which i replied "eh... you're breaking the law, and i'm voting for bush" to which i was cursed at. :shrug: that's what i saw.

Well I'm sure you know a judge ordered the release of more than 500 of those arrests and held the city in contempt for not complying. I'm sure accounts were exaggerated on both sides; that's the nature of a chaotic scene like that. Of course you should trust your own eyes, but I doubt you or anyone could have seen everything.

Anyway, I'm bored with my stupid thread now, lol.

So Mr Bush-voter Headache are you going to be happy when you & your young friends get drafted in order that Bush can continue the Iraq war ad infinitum or may the war on Iran , or.......?

we "older" people don't want to see our young { & the not so young who've been stop-lossed aka backdoor draft} men & women badly maimed or dying in a war that was instigated through lies & deception, and a move that was made way before all other avenues were exhausted.

ps it was Saudi & egyption nationals in the 911 planes NOT iraqis.

dazzledbylight said:
So Mr Bush-voter Headache are you going to be happy when you & your young friends get drafted in order that Bush can continue the Iraq war ad infinitum or may the war on Iran , or.......?

we "older" people don't want to see our young { & the not so young who've been stop-lossed aka backdoor draft} men & women badly maimed or dying in a war that was instigated through lies & deception, and a move that was made way before all other avenues were exhausted.

ps it was Saudi & egyption nationals in the 911 planes NOT iraqis.

PS... no shit.

all of those directly involved in the plotting and carrying out of 9/11 are either dead or in jail. and they were not saudis or egyptions... sure, many were born there. but they were not representitives of any country. they were representitives of a movement, of an organization.

and i'll bet ya a nickle that there will be no draft.

and i have many friends who ARE over there right now. i'm not happy that they could be comming home in a box at any moment. but i am proud of them and what they are doing for our country.

i have friends who are cops & firemen, too. any one of them could be killed at any time. but that doesn't mean we should stop fighting crime or putting out fires now does it.

Last edited:
DaveC said:
I hear Bush is secretly breeding a clone army on the planet Kamino, cloned from some Native bounty hunter by the name of Jango Fett. :wink:

Something must be done about Count Dooku and the Separatist movement!

PS... no shit.

and i'll bet ya a nickle that there will be no draft.

and i have many friends who ARE over there right now. i'm not happy that they could be comming home in a box at any moment. but i am proud of them and what they are doing for our country.

i have friends who are cops & firemen, too. any one of them could be killed at any time. but that doesn't mean we should stop fighting crime or putting out fires now does it.

Guess what a large percentage of the American people STILL BELEIVE that some Iraquis were part of the hijackers on those planes!

l hope that your friends will come home whole in body AND mind !

War does things psychologically, as well as the physical wounds and if peole can't or won't talk about- it can come to haunt them in later years psychologically/emotionally and can result in stress illnesses.

And Headache, Life Forbid, any of your friends do come home really maimed --Team Bush has been cutting Vet benifits and even whole hospitals....they threatened to close the big one one 23rd st & 1st ave here in Manhattan, but enoguh people of influence were able to rally aound it and it's till open.

They've also either done or it was able to be countered by enough Congress people cut pay to the families of solders in the past 2 years!

And families are STILL BUYING body armour for their loved ones! DID any of your friends families have to buy armour, or were they lucky.

Don't you understand Bush doesn't really give a damn about our soldiers. Look at the real facts, not enough protective armour on people or vehicals, trying to cut benifits, whole hospitals, and pay towards military families. Doesn't all of this strike you as....uncaring?!

Now I don't understand this stoploss thing yet. But it seems alot of peole are being prevented from leaving in the reserves, and national guard.

Do you know that the Arm Forces are hiding just how ny suicides are happening over there from soldiers who've been forced to stay, and can no longer endure it?

I support these solders. They are doing ther job they were asked to do. But they are doing this needlessly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom