Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its unfortunate that we all have to basically take this outlook, but that's where we're at. Take care of yourself and your family, and hope the majority of others do similar. Those who refuse to follow some simple and basic preventative protocols (the mask disavowers) can fend for themselves, just try and steer clear of them.

A crisis like this illuminates just how many selfish (and somewhat stupid) folks here are. Starting right at the top with the dude who won't wear a mask cause of his orange pancake makeup which just ends up on his shirt collar anyway.

I realised this a while ago, it's out there ( unless you lock people in their homes for a year which would cause social damage that would dwarf corona)

All you can do is take sensible precautions in your daily life. As with most things you have to work out what the risk is- and then make a decision.- cant control what anyone else does. Appreciate I live in a fairly rural part of the UK so it's different to the US

Massachusetts is among only 4 states on track to containing coronavirus, one model shows

Christopher Gavin Boston.com Staff
June 29, 2020 | 3:09 PM

Massachusetts is among only a handful of states that is on its way to containing COVID-19, according to one model.

The tool, created by Covid Act Now, a collection of epidemiologists, health and public policy experts, and technologists, shows the commonwealth is one of four states “on track” to stopping the spread of the coronavirus.

The other states are nearby, too: Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey, which encompassed some of the hardest hit areas when the pandemic emerged in the United States in March.

As of Sunday, Massachusetts had logged 108,667 total probable and confirmed cases, data from the state Department of Public Health shows. The state has seen 8,060 related deaths over the course of the pandemic.

According to data collected by Covid Act Now that was last updated Friday, Massachusetts is seeing the number of active cases dropping; can likely handle a new wave of COVID-19; has sufficient testing capacity; and has conducted enough contact tracing to help contain the virus.

“Massachusetts is on track to contain COVID,” Covid Act Now says on its website. “Cases are steadily decreasing and Massachusetts’s COVID preparedness meets or exceeds international standards.”

The data shows the state’s infection rate has dropped to .75 from a peak of 2.76 in March.

“On average, each person in Massachusetts with COVID is infecting 0.75 other people,” the group says. “Because each person is infecting less than one other person, the total number of current cases in Massachusetts is shrinking.”

Meanwhile, the positive test rate is at 2.3 percent, down from an apex of 28.9 percent on April 15 in the Bay State.

“A low percentage (2.3%) of COVID tests were positive, which suggests enough widespread, aggressive testing in Massachusetts to detect most new cases,” Covid Act Now said. “Identifying and isolating new cases can help contain COVID without resorting to lockdowns.”

Massachusetts is currently in the second part of Phase 2 in its four-stage reopening plan. As of last week, restaurants are now able to offer indoor dining to customers once again, thanks to declining metrics, officials said.

“Per best available data, Massachusetts has 2,500 contact tracers,” Covid Act Now said. “With an average of 202 new daily cases, we estimate Massachusetts needs 1,010 contact tracing staff to trace all new cases in 48 hours, before too many other people are infected. This means that Massachusetts is likely able to trace 100 percent of new COVID infections in 48 hours. When this level of tracing is coupled with widely available testing, COVID can be contained without resorting to lockdowns.”

Probably not coincidentally, Massachusetts is also among the top four states in the country for regular mask usage, according to data collected by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington.

Elsewhere in New England, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Rhode Island have all “controlled disease growth,” the Covid Act Now map shows.

Meanwhile, cases in Arizona, Florida, and Texas have surged recently, boosting the number of cases recorded in the country past 2.5 million on Sunday, The Washington Post reports.

The latest model from Covid Act Now says Arizona is experiencing an “active or imminent outbreak” along with Missouri and Alabama. Texas and Florida are “at risk.”

Less charitably, another aspect of it is that those states got fucking broadsided by SARS-CoV-2, spiking early and running out of potential vectors quickly. Massachusetts still has reported 35% more deaths than California despite having an 85% smaller population, and that happened because they botched their initial response.

I knew this was going to be the narrative when we locked down early and came back without a plan. All we did was kick the can down the road and establish ourselves as one of the "problem states" later in the year. Preventing deaths is the bottom line, and we did a good job of that relative to our size and population density, but eventually the leadership accepted new infections as an inevitability, and this is the result.

https://twitter.com/passantino/status/1277711040327942147?s=21

LA County has already shutdown bars / restaurants (one of seven counties to go backward), but the data is showing LA is rising up too fast.

CA was doing very well and maybe there’s still time to keep it from getting out of control but hard to say. People won’t want to go back indoors, especially during beach season.

Pennsylvania is reacting pretty quickly to brief spikes in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Philadelphia was set to move into "green" phase this past Friday but was held back due to numbers starting to trend slightly in the wrong direction. And Pittsburgh has closed its bars after a bad week. Their numbers went up, but are overall still pretty low.

I've heard anecdotally that central PA is not doing a great job. I know a guy who visited his hometown of Altoona and said people there refused to let you refuse to shake their hands, saying things like "We don't do that bullshit." The numbers are bad in the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York area of south central PA, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go up in the Altoona and Johnstown areas.

Overall, though, Pennsylvania seems to be one of the better states. I would like to see more people walking around in masks, but I've yet to see anyone indoors not wearing a mask (though I am not going to bars/restaurants/gyms).

Chinese study released that says antibodies may only last for a few months.

More research needed, and not sure how robust this study is. But puts more pressure on a finding a therapy and of course the home run on an effective vaccine

Hey Mitch, tell it to your buddy Trump. Must have been afraid to even tweet this, because Donnie get mad.

Leader McConnell
@senatemajldr

We must have no stigma, none, about wearing masks when we leave our homes and come near other people. Wearing simple face coverings is not about protecting ourselves, it is about protecting everyone we encounter.

3:39 PM · Jun 29, 2020·Twitter Web App

Hey Mitch, tell it to your buddy Trump. Must have been afraid to even tweet this, because Donnie get mad.

Leader McConnell

@senatemajldr

We must have no stigma, none, about wearing masks when we leave our homes and come near other people. Wearing simple face coverings is not about protecting ourselves, it is about protecting everyone we encounter.

3:39 PM · Jun 29, 2020·Twitter Web App

Red state folks are starting to get it.

It’s ok for them to care now.

53K in fact. Almost 10,000 in California. 8.5% positive rate. This is a mess.

Worldometers has 50,000(!) cases for today:

7,900 from Texas
6,500 from Florida
6,300 from California
4,800 from Arizona

667 deaths though, an 18% drop from last Wednesday. I know eventually that number will start creeping up with the hospitalizations, but for now it's still in decline after almost two weeks. June 19th was the day things began to get out of hand.

Last edited:
It seems like California reported pretty late so there’s some discrepancy. The COVID tracking project is reporting 53K, 697 deaths (and over 9,000 cases in California).

Lower death numbers are probably related to a younger population being predominantly infected now , but still, not good.

I’m glad NY decided to postpone dine-in reopening even though the numbers remain pretty good here.

It seems like California reported pretty late so there’s some discrepancy. The COVID tracking project is reporting 53K, 697 deaths (and over 9,000 cases in California).

Lower death numbers are probably related to a younger population being predominantly infected now , but still, not good.

I’m glad NY decided to postpone dine-in reopening even though the numbers remain pretty good here.

Covidtracking is a day-ish behind Worldometers. They base their figures on the California public health twitter update:

[TWEET]1278489569420169216[/TWEET]

And it says "numbers as of June 30."

Worldometers uses the more up to date county dashboards and compiles them.

Yesterday was bad for California. Today was bad, but a little less so.

Oh look, the guy who said that there are more important things in life than living is back.

“Fauci said today that he’s concerned about states like Texas that skipped over certain things,” Patrick said in a clip from the June 30 show. “He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. We haven’t skipped over anything. The only thing I’m skipping over is listening to him.”

Patrick claimed Fauci “has been wrong every time on every issue,” but did not elaborate.

I don’t get the reasoning for not closing San Diego County like the others.

The summer holidays are always jam packed here but now on top of the AZ people we’ll have everyone from LA county on down packing the beaches and bars (till 10pm)

Just close EVERYTHING. You can’t manage a pandemic by county when people can easily travel between them.

Inconsistency in application and message has been the single biggest problem behind the US' pandemic approach, and this situation with San Diego County is yet another example of that.

Problem 1b is a lack of financial safety net for its citizens, ultimately forcing people to choose between their health and their homes.

Oof, Florida.

Still planning on reopening DisneyWorld in 9 days.

Again, total failure of leadership at the top.

Covid-9-9-9

Dude was at the Tulsa rally with no mask or distancing.

I hope he recovers and uses his experience to inform others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom