global pandemic - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2020, 01:37 AM   #621
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:02 PM
I noticed the same thing when I was out with my daughter today: fewer cars but the same number of buses as always.

That said, I still feel safer here in California than I would anywhere else in the country right now. We started taking the virus seriously fairly early on because of the enormous Chinese population in San Francisco.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:25 AM   #622
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Cancer treatment is going out the window. We are advising all our metastatic cancer patients to not have their treatment, as the risk of them dying sooner due to a combination of coronavirus, disease and the effects of their chemo or immunotherapy has gone up

We are having some awful conversations at my hospital. All our surgical theatres are being turned into intensive care beds, and old wards being prepped for ventilators. We will basically be converted to an acute hospital for this time by the looks of it.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #623
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:02 AM
And then you have fucking idiots like this in Toronto! Even that stupid kid says she lives with her grandparents and yet STILL thinks it’s worth the risk of catching the virus for a stupid game! Fuck people, seriusly!

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/you...ames-1.4861413
Old 03-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #624
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
And then you have fucking idiots like this in Toronto! Even that stupid kid says she lives with her grandparents and yet STILL thinks it worth the risk of catching the virus for a stupid game! Fuck people, seriusly!

This is shocking.

I did not know that EB Games still existed in Canada.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #625
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
And then you have fucking idiots like this in Toronto! Even that stupid kid says she lives with her grandparents and yet STILL thinks it’s worth the risk of catching the virus for a stupid game! Fuck people, seriusly!

Why can't these people just download the games?
Old 03-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #626
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Why can't these people just download the games?
Takes too long for the moose to deliver the download to their igloo.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #627
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Takes too long for the moose to deliver the download to their igloo.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #628
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Will a national lockdown, and say a police or military presence or enforcement cause more chaos than its worth ?

Americans aren’t taking this seriously, but as soon as their rights are infringed upon i am afraid of the panic and violence that will come of it.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #629
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:02 PM
China employed drones very effectively.

But they have zero concerns about human rights.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #630
Blue Crack Addict

2 thoughts I had today:

1. I really hope all of this shit doesn't result in mass vioence/terror attacks/wars. Everyone is distracted with this right now. I feel like if a nation wanted to attack another, now might be the time.

2. Now that wow, the scientists were right and Trump was wrong, gee I wonder if the public will take Climate Change seriously when this is all said and done.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #631
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I think Italy's situation is due to several factors, such as those mentioned above. I also read yesterday that about a third of Italians defied the lockdown.

Howiever, I think it needs to be considered that they were the first European country to experience this kind of spread of the virus, even though it seems that it actually first came to Germany via the company Webasto. That company had an employee from Wuhan visiting, but also operates in Northern Italy. So it's likely that an Italian or Italian-based employee contracted the virus in Munich and then carried it to Italy.

The thing is, in my mind, without Italy other European countries would not have been able to push through measures like those we are seeing now. There simply wouldn't be acceptance for that. No one would take it seriously enough. It is because of the stories coming out of Italy that people in other countries accepted the reports about exponential growth and that drastic measures are the only way to slow the spread.

Speaking from a German perspective, there are two opposing forces at work here: On the one hand, Germans are known to follow the rules. And that's what a lot of people are doing. But they do so because they see what's happening in Italy, and therefore they are taking the warnings seriously. But then there's also the historic knowledge of the dictatorships, especially the Third Reich, which has people almost paranoid whenever any freedoms are being curbed. These people fear that everything is just the precedent for a new dictatorship coming and enforcing a new brutal regime. Some of them may still have realized the dangers of Covid-19 and self-isolate, but then there are those who think this is all more fearmongering than anything else, and they need to defend their freedoms.

And of course there is no small amount of people who just think they are stronger than the virus (which they likely are, but that's of course besides the point).
Very insightful, I think we are having the same internal debate in the states. I know a lot of people who think this is a false flag and this is an attempt for a authoritarian regime to take over and curb our rights. What's funny I am seeing that from both the far left and the far right as well as the libertarian bend. They just blame different entities. Honestly I am very torn on this. I worry about our freedoms being lost, and laws being passed that are great in the short term but have lasting effects and unintended consequences (like the patriot act). I am also pissed about my daughter losing her senior year and senior year of soccer (I know that's petty, but its been part of our life for 12 years) but I am also very worried about the disease, I worry about my parents (in their 70"s) but also my kids, I have a young son that has lung problems, so I will err on the side of caution.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #632
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/shimonpro/status...915970051?s=21

I hope whoever made this decision had a really good reason.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #633
More 5G Than Man

My GP won't even see me in person right now. I'm guessing if they had to check my lungs or something I would be brought in, but all consultations are through Skype now.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #634
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post

Yes. They don't have enough tests.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #635
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
My GP won't even see me in person right now. I'm guessing if they had to check my lungs or something I would be brought in, but all consultations are through Skype now.

My wife used a teledoc yesterday, they prescribed her meds and she went and picked them up today.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #636
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:02 PM
global pandemic

Two summers ago, I was completely flattened by the flu. In June. I was able to see an NP via video chat through the app my doctors office has, she was able to get me Tamiflu at a nearby drugstore.

It is the way to go for relatively simple things, especially if you are generally health conscious and aware of your body.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #637
More 5G Than Man

There are some changes we're adopted during the pandemic that may prove to have some permanence, medical examinations included.

If we could get college costs down by trimming into overhead with more online courses, I think most would accept that compromise gladly.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #638
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post

You have to prioritize who you can test, since there aren't enough tests to just test everyone. And even if there were, there is limited capacity at the labs.

It's the same here, though the bottleneck are the lab capacity more than the test kits. Berlin can currently process 2000 tests a day, and they are working to increase that to 6000. But even then they will select who will get tested.

An interesting thread with observations from the lockdown in Italy: https://twitter.com/andreabagnato/st...92360532471812

Quote:
Workplaces and businesses don't have to close down – it’s up to individual employers. Many people, from bank clerks to factory workers to delivery people, still have to go to work every day. There is more and more evidence that most contagion is happening on workplaces. 4/10
Yet, the dominant narrative is that the virus spreads because people go outside for a run or a bike ride. Walking and exercising has zero epidemiological risk, and is permitted under emergency laws, but has been immediately criminalised by news and social media. 5/10
The media amplify the (mostly fake) reports of “excessive crowding”. As a result, most public parks have been shut, meaning there's even less public space to go to. Many people are proactively reporting joggers to the police. 6/10
The vagueness of emergency laws has left it up to administrators and police depts to decide what is permitted. In Bologna, cycling has now been forbidden; in Naples, you can no longer go for a stroll, not even alone. 7/10
Seeing as SARS and H1N1 could easily be considered near misses, and that for a long time scientists have warned that more than an asteroid or massive volcano eruption, we should consider a pandemic as a realistic near-term threat, it has been such a colossal failure of the EU and also the individual European countries to not have put more resources into developing strategies should a pandemic break out. The EU even has something of a CDC equivalent, but you wouldn't know it existed. Each nation is utterly unprepared and now scrambling to come up with a response, and once we have dealt with the health crisis, we will have a massive economic crisis that I'm not sure how the EU will handle.

Also for who's interested, a really good interview with Christian Drosten, virologist at Charitè Berlin who developed the initial Corona test: https://www.zeit.de/wissen/gesundhei...logist-charite
Old 03-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #639
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Maximus View Post
Very insightful, I think we are having the same internal debate in the states. I know a lot of people who think this is a false flag and this is an attempt for a authoritarian regime to take over and curb our rights. What's funny I am seeing that from both the far left and the far right as well as the libertarian bend. They just blame different entities. Honestly I am very torn on this. I worry about our freedoms being lost, and laws being passed that are great in the short term but have lasting effects and unintended consequences (like the patriot act). I am also pissed about my daughter losing her senior year and senior year of soccer (I know that's petty, but its been part of our life for 12 years) but I am also very worried about the disease, I worry about my parents (in their 70"s) but also my kids, I have a young son that has lung problems, so I will err on the side of caution.
Certainly the case here, too. You have people from the far left to the far right who are taking the illness very seriously. At the same time, you have people from the far left to the far right who believe in any form of conspiracy about it.

I also fully agree that especially in times of crisis laws do get passed that have serious long-term effects. For that reason, vigilance is necessary. We must make sure that measures taken are justified as much as possible, and any laws need to be temporary, so that after we are through this, we can reevaluate and then formulate long-term policies for the future.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #640
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/stat...962183168?s=21