global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Fauci kept touching his face when Trump was speaking. Probably because he was so uncomfortable. More than anyone he knows he's not supposed to touch his face. Why are the doctors even there during these Trump circus sideshows?

ok

Does anyone know what is going wrong in Italy? Did they really not act in time? Is there something else that their lockdown isn't helping with?

Over 600 deaths today from yesterday
Over 6000 new cases

Will this country survive the panic that is going to come from when our numbers dwarf Italy's?

I can't really fault people who are continuing to touch their face, even as they're telling others not to. You're not going to stop decades of learned behavior and habits in a week.

I'm not "faulting" him at all, I mentioned it merely as an indication of how uncomfortable he was because of Trump's behavior. That's all. He clearly is uncomfortable all the time because of things Trump says. And he has to stand there and pretend he doesn't have a problem with it.

ok

Does anyone know what is going wrong in Italy? Did they really not act in time? Is there something else that their lockdown isn't helping with?

Over 6000 new cases

Will this country survive the panic that is going to come from when our numbers dwarf Italy's?

My understanding is that Italy’s lockdown was not a harsh enough lockdown.

So, basically what’s happening here.

ok

Over 6000 new cases

Partly that the lockdown isn't harsh enough.

But the main reason appears to be their fairly high rates of multi-generational cohabiting. They have one of the oldest populations in the world, and a high % of elderly living with their children and grandchildren in tight quarters. Perfect storm.

That's the same basic thing I would think re: the demographics. But Japan has a very similar situation and seemingly hasn't been severely hit.

That's the same basic thing I would think re: the demographics. But Japan has a very similar situation and seemingly hasn't been severely hit.

Japanese are far more obedient/deferential to authority so their behaviour is very different.

According to Trump there are no empty store shelves. Is he over 100,000 total lies yet?

He's lying, but there are fewer than the bored fearmongers on Facebook would tell you. From a county that's locked down, I can tell you that things were looking pretty normal on Wednesday. No paper goods or pasta, but everything else was available, albeit in smaller quantities.

Nobody ever thinks to look for the frozen breads or bakery when the bread aisle is empty.

Last edited:
I think Italy's situation is due to several factors, such as those mentioned above. I also read yesterday that about a third of Italians defied the lockdown.

Howiever, I think it needs to be considered that they were the first European country to experience this kind of spread of the virus, even though it seems that it actually first came to Germany via the company Webasto. That company had an employee from Wuhan visiting, but also operates in Northern Italy. So it's likely that an Italian or Italian-based employee contracted the virus in Munich and then carried it to Italy.

The thing is, in my mind, without Italy other European countries would not have been able to push through measures like those we are seeing now. There simply wouldn't be acceptance for that. No one would take it seriously enough. It is because of the stories coming out of Italy that people in other countries accepted the reports about exponential growth and that drastic measures are the only way to slow the spread.

Speaking from a German perspective, there are two opposing forces at work here: On the one hand, Germans are known to follow the rules. And that's what a lot of people are doing. But they do so because they see what's happening in Italy, and therefore they are taking the warnings seriously. But then there's also the historic knowledge of the dictatorships, especially the Third Reich, which has people almost paranoid whenever any freedoms are being curbed. These people fear that everything is just the precedent for a new dictatorship coming and enforcing a new brutal regime. Some of them may still have realized the dangers of Covid-19 and self-isolate, but then there are those who think this is all more fearmongering than anything else, and they need to defend their freedoms.

And of course there is no small amount of people who just think they are stronger than the virus (which they likely are, but that's of course besides the point).

I tried to post a video comparing Trump to Gov Cuomo, but I can't get it to post.

Trump's idiotic performance today is still on my last nerve. Meanwhile we have fashion designers like Christian Siriano making masks for the state of New York. While Trump keeps insisting these items are becoming more readily available.

Last edited:
The US is #5 in the # of diagnosed cases globally as of right now.

Tomorrow they will certainly surpass Germany for #4 and possibly Spain for #3.

The only hope now rests on individual state governors - hopefully most of them are competent and professional and forget Trump.

I went for a drive today because for fucks sake I needed to get out of the house for a while.

Drove past the Mall and Tidal Basin.

Packed.

As packed as it would be on a normal 80 degree day in the midst of cherry blossom season? No, not even close.

But a normal Friday afternoon not in peak tourist season? Maybe not there, but close.

There are some beach volleyball courts just north or the Lincoln Memorial. They were all filled.

Our numbers are eclipsing those seen in Europe. We're peeking faster than Italy.

We need a national lock down yesterday.

We just got the shelter in place order here in Illinois. What gets me though is public transit is still operating. I get a lot of people rely on it, but if ever there was a hot spot for contagion, it's a crowded train or bus.

I noticed the same thing when I was out with my daughter today: fewer cars but the same number of buses as always.

That said, I still feel safer here in California than I would anywhere else in the country right now. We started taking the virus seriously fairly early on because of the enormous Chinese population in San Francisco.

Cancer treatment is going out the window. We are advising all our metastatic cancer patients to not have their treatment, as the risk of them dying sooner due to a combination of coronavirus, disease and the effects of their chemo or immunotherapy has gone up

We are having some awful conversations at my hospital. All our surgical theatres are being turned into intensive care beds, and old wards being prepped for ventilators. We will basically be converted to an acute hospital for this time by the looks of it.

Will a national lockdown, and say a police or military presence or enforcement cause more chaos than its worth ?

Americans aren’t taking this seriously, but as soon as their rights are infringed upon i am afraid of the panic and violence that will come of it.

China employed drones very effectively.

But they have zero concerns about human rights.

2 thoughts I had today:

1. I really hope all of this shit doesn't result in mass vioence/terror attacks/wars. Everyone is distracted with this right now. I feel like if a nation wanted to attack another, now might be the time.

2. Now that wow, the scientists were right and Trump was wrong, gee I wonder if the public will take Climate Change seriously when this is all said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom