Ask The Highlander

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Girl1978 said:
Awww :cute: :up:

It is very scary to live in a country where anyone can get a gun.

Bleh...

Anyways,

Does Scotland have 4 seasons?

What is Haggis?

:eyebrow: four seasons?

yeah.....salt, pepper, more salt and more pepper.

ummm, U2Girl1978, have you ever been out of the USA?

yes.....spring, summer, autumn and winter!

:confused:

anyway....

Haggis is the national dish of Scotland. It is both beloved and reviled by the natives. It often horrifies people who hear it described for the first time. I find it funny that the USDA has declared them "unfit for human consumption".

haggis:
1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)
1 sheep's stomach
1 sheep heart
1 sheep liver
1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup stock

Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.
Cover heart and liver with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon. Ceremoniously served with "neeps, tatties and nips" -- mashed turnips, mashed potatoes, nips of whiskey

ewen said:

I've never been out of Europe - I've been to many countries across Europe and wouldn't move out of Scotland to live permanently in any of them. I'm travelling to the USA next month, my first time out of Europe.

So, where would I live if not Scotland? The USA, so that I could be with Pax ( :kiss: Pax :kiss: ).

Saying that though, the one thing that would stop me moving to the USA permanently is......guns.

It would take a LOT to get me to move out of Scotland permanently....I love the place too much.

If you change Scotland into the Netherlands i see something familiar :der:

What do you think about the difference in social security ?

Last edited:
U2Girl! Never been out of the USA? You must, some time!

I live in Scotland and i can tell you it's a wonderful place&sometimes has 4 seasons in one day! :huh:

I hate haggis myself&find it revolting! :yuck:

Hi Ewen! :wave: Found you! Don't worry though as i absolutely adore fish&chips!!!! Yummy! :drool:

The furthest north i've been is Lossiemouth, which is about what? 25 miles northeast of Inverness. I've been up in Inverness twice&i love it. It's so beautiful up there! Can't wait to go back!

Oh and i think it would take a lot for me to move away from Scotland, although i'd love to live in Dublin! :yes:

susanp6 said:
U

Don't worry though as i absolutely adore fish&chips!!!! Yummy! :drool:

The furthest north i've been is Lossiemouth, which is about what? 25 miles northeast of Inverness. I've been up in Inverness twice&i love it. It's so beautiful up there! Can't wait to go back!

With or without a newspaper ?

I been to Inverness once, i like that town

I ask Ewen stupid questions about Scotland all the time, hence I have nothing to contribute here.

:cute: he says awfully sweet things about me, though.

ewen said:
D,

who's Conan?

:eyebrow:
039_834.jpg

may I present to you:
Conan Mcloed

db9
:)

bammo2 said:
lmao you beat me to it ewen :D

Yeah, i wasn't being 'funny' either by asking who he meant by 'Conan', I really didn't think he meant Connor MacLeod. In fact I asked someone and they thought he may have been refering to Conan O'Brien.

Sorry Dave, you genuinely had me confused.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Did you feel your country had betrayed you when you found the horror that is Peeps on your store shelves? ;)

Well, as you know, I was initially thrilled to see them. However, on closer inspection they definately looked like they were concocted in Satan's kitchen.

Saying that though, have comfort in knowing that if you're American, love Peeps and ever visit Edinburgh then I can take you to a shop that sells them.

ewen said:

:eyebrow: four seasons?

yeah.....salt, pepper, more salt and more pepper.

ummm, U2Girl1978, have you ever been out of the USA?

yes.....spring, summer, autumn and winter!

:confused:

anyway....

Haggis is the national dish of Scotland. It is both beloved and reviled by the natives. It often horrifies people who hear it described for the first time. I find it funny that the USDA has declared them "unfit for human consumption".

I think there is an Americanised version of Haggis. Do you like Haggis?

Lara Mullen said:

I think there is an Americanised version of Haggis. Do you like Haggis?

I'm sure indeed there are Americanised Haggis.

Yes, I love Haggis. See answer to Rono's question "Haggis or fish and Chips?"

ewen said:

People from the US are often confused about the UK and mistakingly refer to the UK as 'England' when in fact England is only one of the four. This greatly upsets/annoys people from the other three countries/states when the UK is refered to as 'England'.

:mad: I hate this.

:wave: hello from a highland lassie (from Thurso, 120 miles north of Inverness)

Do you like deep-fried Mars bars?

What are the 3 best places in Scotland to hike?

What do you think about efforts to preserve the Scottish language? Worthy cause, or lost cause?

I assume Edinburgh isn't anywhere near as multicultural as London--is that correct? Is the prospect of further change in that direction (in Edinburgh or elsewhere) cause for concern among those who want to preserve a distinct Scottish identity? (Or perhaps Scottish identity is simply not a big political issue...?)

Originally posted by yolland
Do you like deep-fried Mars bars?

Never tried it, never wanted to. I try to avoid junk or fast foods as much as possible. The chippies (chip shops) tried deep-fried easter eggs i believe. yuk.

What are the 3 best places in Scotland to hike?

There's the famous "West Highland Way" - it's a 95 mile walk from Milngavie (outside Glasgow), along the shore of Loch Lomond (Scotland's largest loch/lake) and along Ranoch Moor to the foot of Ben Nevis (the UK's largest mountain).

map.jpg

Scotland has little Mosquitos called Midgies - although they don't spread disease, they bite and are therefore extremely annoying. Best times to avoid the Midgies is April to June.

a good site for hiking/walking is http://www.maketracks.net/

What do you think about efforts to preserve the Scottish language? Worthy cause, or lost cause?

Not sure if you mean 'Scots' or 'Gaelic' - Scotland had two languages other than English. I'm assuming you mean Gaelic though.

a little history:
The Hanovarians took over the monarchy of Scotland and England from the Stewarts in the 18th century. The Stewarts were descendants of James 6th of Scotland / James 1st of England (the first King to rule both countries). Well, there were a few uprisings from Jacobites (followers of James / the Stewarts) who believed that a Stewart monarch should rule. Anyway, as a result of the failed uprisings the government attacked all aspects of Highland culture including Gaelic. The Highland clearances destroyed many Gaelic-speaking communities.

In mid 1970s, there began a renaissance to create new generations of Scottish Gaelic speakers. Personally, I started to learn Gaelic at school, when I was about nine or ten, and even sang it solo and in choirs at competitions. However, my High School unfortunately didn't give lessons and so, due to that and my non-gaelic-speaking family, I never continued.

Gaelic is gradually being reincorporated into public life for the time in two centuries. The naming of official bodies in gaelic was virtually unknon whereas now there are hundreds, including banks and other businesses who have adopted a Gaelic name.

I am all for the efforts to 'preserve' the language, it's definately not a lost cause - there are families, communities that speak Gaelic as their first language. The 2001 census of Scotland recorded that there were nearly 60,000 Gaelic speakers in the country, mostly living in the Western Isles, Central belt and northern Highlands. It will never take over English as the main language of the country. It's as likely as Spanish becoming the main language of the USA.

I assume Edinburgh isn't anywhere near as multicultural as London--is that correct? Is the prospect of further change in that direction (in Edinburgh or elsewhere) cause for concern among those who want to preserve a distinct Scottish identity? (Or perhaps Scottish identity is simply not a big political issue...?) [/B]

That's a big question that dissertations have been written on and would require a thread all on its own. That is a huge subject.

I think Edinburgh is definately multicultural but as multicultural as London? I don't know, probably not. Is becoming more multicultural a concern to people here? No, I don't think so.

The Declaration of Arbroath suggests a multicultural basis for Scots identity. It adapts Galatians 3:28 in the Bible by asserting that in the "community of the realm": "There is neither weighting nor distinction of Jew and Greek*, Scotsman or Englishman."

* Biblical reference to 'Greeks' is generally understood to imply people of other faiths ('gentiles').

It's a real difficult question for me to answer - I need to know what you personally mean by multicultural and why you would suggest that Edinburgh may not be.

Last edited:
susanp6 said:
I have no idea what this peeps thing is! Am i thick?

Ask LarryMullen's_POPAngel, she loves them long time.

I had asked a similar question and was promptly informed. They're marshmallows shaped in the form of creatures such as chicks or bunnys, from the USA I think. Anyway, I found them for sale in a shop recently and told LarryMullen's_POPAngel.

ewen said:
When you say "kilt pattern", you're meaning "tartan".

The use of different patterns and colours of tartan to identify different families, or 'clans', is a very contentious issue amongst historians. In the absence of any real evidence to the contrary, it seems that this practice dates back only as far as the early 19th century. Prior to this, clansmen of all standing seemed to have worn a mixture of tartans without any sense of a standardised 'clan' design.

There's no hard and fast rules or regulations about which tartan to adopt although people do prefer to choose a tartan associated to their family name.

If there's no tartan for your family name, simply look up your ancestory until you can find a surname that has a tartan. Failing that there are tartans that anyone can wear. If you want to be unique - any individual, family or institution can commission and register their own tartan.

It's easy for me, my surname is Young and there is a 'Young' tartan:

hedga_mws2420.jpg

I got a kilt made a few years ago for my graduation.

I thought the tartans were connected to clans not surnames. Your surname may be Young but are you Clan Young?

beli said:

I thought the tartans were connected to clans not surnames. Your surname may be Young but are you Clan Young?

It is a very contentious issue. It is a myth that you must have an "entitlement" in order to have the right to wear a particular tartan. There are numerous websites devoted to clans where it is stated that only fellow clansmen are entitled to wear 'their' tartan. Some tartans were/are associated to areas of Scotland. Some organisations have their own tartan - Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic have their own tartan. There's even a Safeway tartan!

The April 1987 issue of the "Highlander" showed "Young of Auldbar" as a dormant clan, dating to 1672 in Scotland. Edward A Young III of Orlando, Florida contacted the Lord Lyon (body that regulates the use of clan coats of arms etc) and was given permission to convene Clan Young, and to display the arms and crest of Peter Young of Auldbar, the last Clan chief of the Youngs. Clan Young convened January 9, 1988 at Orlando, Florida, where it was formally organised a year later with the election of it's first officers.

On January 1,1992 The Scottish Tartans Society granted a Certificate of Accreditation for the Young tartan. It is similar to the Douglas tartan, of which Clan Young have long been a sept, with the stripe of the Christina Young tartan replacing the stripe of white.

Clan Young Society membership is open to anyone who is descendant of any Scottish person surnamed Young or "to anyone with an interest in the Youngs of Scotland, their history, and things Scottish"!

So, yes and no to tartans being associated to clans. I am not a member of Clan Young but the tartan was indeed designed and/or registered by them I believe. My surname is Young, so that is the most obvious tartan to choose for my kilt.

I dont believe its a myth. The same way the right to heraldic sheilds is not automatic if a person should happen to have the same surname.

My last name is Scottish. Clan MacAllister if I recall correctly, but I could be wrong. (Actually Im almost sure Im wrong) My family aren't of the right family to wear the tartan though.

Back
Top Bottom