MERGED --> IO:aboyamaawhtdaabcobllapoeootssycmioyo$#$&!!! + I dont understand U2 fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New Abbreviations=

Boy-The First Cd by U2
October-Oct
War-War
Under A Blood Red Sky- Red Sky That U2 Are Under
The Unforgettable Fire-The Martin Luther King Tribute CD
The Joshua Tree-Deserts and Skies and Stuff CD
Rattle And Hum-Am I Buggin Ya?
Achtung Baby-Aqualung Baby
Zooropa-Z
Pop-What's Wrong With It? or The Greatest CD ever, feck!
All That You Can't Leave Behind-The Heart In A Suitcase CD or Evolution Tour CD
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb-Hot Damn! An Atomic Dog

Most of these, of course, are longer than the actual titles, but apparently abbreviations don't actually have to be short in here anymore....

I live in acronym/abbreviation land so I'm used to stuff like this

but quite frankly certain letters DO NOT go together, for the simple reason they look ugly

take

WTSHNN

ugh. I can't bear to look at it.

Re: IO:aboyamaawhtdaabcobllapoeootssycmioyo$#$&!!!

Nate Dogg said:
I hate the Hut Dab abbreviation, too.

That's the worst offender for me, by far. It's neither here nor there. :madspit:

I just want to add that hutdab is not supposed to be a shorter abbreviation for HTDAAB, rather, it's the sound that is said in one's head when you see those letters stung together...
I try to avoid refering to the album or songs by name to avoid any conflict with acronyms.

(Here's hoping no one ever does a search on who started the hutdab thing...:uhoh: )

This has bothered me since I started visiting U2 forums many moons ago. I can never figure them out - it takes way to long to read threads when they involve shortcuts! It always reminds me (for some bizarre reason) the movie sleepless in seattle when that little girl keeps abreviating all her words like "MFEO" (made for each other) and no one knows what she's talking about.
End of rant.... :mad:

IWF
ACD
ITH
OOC
SATT
TO
TEC
ITABTAW
IFD
SIASL
SBS
NYD
THBAO
TR
RL
DM
ASOH
4OJ
ISS
TUF
EPAA
MLK... (See, they did it too)
WTSHNN
ISHFWILF
WOWY
BTBS
RTSS
RHMT
IGC
TTYW
OTH
MOTD
AATW
AAIY
WLCTT
LRM
AOH
GP2
EBTTRT
UTEOTW
WGRYWH
SC
TF
MW
TTTYAATW
LIB
DGPFYCC
SDABTO
TFT
TW
HMTMKMKM
DYFL
IGWSHA
SATS
LNOE
TPM
WUDM
ST
BD
SIAMYCGOO
WO
IALW
WH
POE
WILATW
NY
ES
MD
SYCMIOYO
LAPOE
COBL
ABOY
AMAAW
CFYT
OSC
OOTS

That's all I could think of off the top of my head. (w/o going into b-sides). Also, there are a lot of one word titles on Zooropa

UnforgettableLemon said:
That's all I could think of off the top of my head. (w/o going into b-sides). Also, there are a lot of one word titles on Zooropa [/B]

ok....what's your excuse for being up so late? It seems like you have posted after me in every thread I've posted in!! I'm not complaining, just I'd give anything to be all snuggly in my bed right now with my hubby and pup right now but I'm at work.

My sleep schedule is really bizarre right now. I've been going to bed around 4, and if I have classes, getting up at 7 or 9, and when I don't have classes, 2 or 3 in the afternoon. A lot of it has to do with coming home wired from work. Next semester, though, I'm going to be an RA, so work will be... here. And less physically active.

UnforgettableLemon said:
My sleep schedule is really bizarre right now. I've been going to bed around 4, and if I have classes, getting up at 7 or 9, and when I don't have classes, 2 or 3 in the afternoon. A lot of it has to do with coming home wired from work. Next semester, though, I'm going to be an RA, so work will be... here. And less physically active.

Sleep is so underrrated.

She ls Raging said:
This has bothered me since I started visiting U2 forums many moons ago. I can never figure them out - it takes way to long to read threads when they involve shortcuts!
yes! i was reading a thread and people kept talking about "OOTS" and i was like...huh?! it always takes me a bit to figure out the acronyms of the new songs. and sometimes even older ones throw me off if they're not as popular. i mean, stuff like WTSHNN and OOC you can pretty much recognize right away because they're popular songs and they've older songs, so the abbreviations have been used for a while. but to throw in something like TTTYAATW is confusing.

maybe we can filter stuff so abbreviations come out to something else. like if someone types WTSHNN it comes out as streets. :wink:

JessicaAnn said:
I have no idea what that means.
yeah, i had to finally pull out the new album and look at the songs to figure out what OOTS was. as for the latter, i just picked an older song with a long ass title that is popular but isn't talked about too much. :wink:

Whew!
I thought I was the only one who was insanely annoyed by all the stupid acronyms, so much to the point that I was ready to pull out my U2 catalog and make a decoder ring for all of them. I'm still kind of close to starting such a project, but then I realize I actually have kind of a life - not much, but kind of one. I don't get what's wrong with just typing one or two words of the song, like Streets, or All Because..., and we'll all know what we're talking about? It's much easier to type actual words, even if it means one or two extra keystrokes.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I feel so much better now!

Hut Dab actually stands for "hide under the drums and belch". Something the boys used to have a go at Larry about I believe :wink:

Back
Top Bottom