ZOOROPA and the '93 tour...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homerpalooza

Acrobat
Here's something that's always baffled me:

Zooropa came out in May of 1993, correct? Which of course was during the middle of their huge world tour. So...checking setlists and whatnot...well, why on earth weren't they playing songs off the album until months later?! It looks like the first Zooropa song to debut live was "Numb," in Italy in July 1993 -- two months after the release of the album. "Stay" looks like it debuted in Stockholm at the end of July, and then one or two others started trickling into the setlists ("Zooropa"; "The First Time"; "Babyface").

And then Australia, New Zealand, and Japan were the only three countries to hear songs like "Dirty Day" and "Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car" and "Lemon" -- and I mean ever, because they certainly didn't use those for PopMart.

So what gives? Not enough time to prepare versions of these songs during the middle of touring? I guess that makes sense, but I find it so strange that they'd have a new album out and not play any of it for months.

I've been equally baffled as to why after 21 years Clayton still hasn't played the bass to "40". 21 years is surely enough time to prepare -it's longer than some of us have been around this earth. Unless of course its too hard for him to play, or he refuses to learn it, or because Edge does a more kick-ass version on the bass. U2 always do things to baffle fans.

Cheers,

J

Hang on ... I don't think Zooropa came out until June. I have 4 June 1993, Munich, and it's described as the concert on the night of the release of Zooropa. Maybe that information's wrong, I'm not sure, but even if it's right, it still doesn't affect your point, and I honestly don't have a clue why either.

Homerpalooza said:
Here's something that's always baffled me:

Zooropa came out in May of 1993, correct? Which of course was during the middle of their huge world tour.

As said by others, Zooropa was released in July 1993, during the European leg of their world tour. I know, because I bought it on the day of its release (a first for me, regarding U2 :hyper: )

So...checking setlists and whatnot...well, why on earth weren't they playing songs off the album until months later?! It looks like the first Zooropa song to debut live was "Numb," in Italy in July 1993 -- two months after the release of the album. "Stay" looks like it debuted in Stockholm at the end of July, and then one or two others started trickling into the setlists ("Zooropa"; "The First Time"; "Babyface").

And then Australia, New Zealand, and Japan were the only three countries to hear songs like "Dirty Day" and "Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car" and "Lemon" -- and I mean ever, because they certainly didn't use those for PopMart.

So what gives? Not enough time to prepare versions of these songs during the middle of touring? I guess that makes sense, but I find it so strange that they'd have a new album out and not play any of it for months.

IIRC, Numb was debuted the first night after the release of Zooropa. You mention the reason it took much longer for other tracks to debute: not enough time to prepare/rehearse. You have to keep in mind that during the first few weeks of the tour (May 1993) U2 were often flying to Dublin straight after the gig to work some more on the new album. So they really did not have time to work out the arrangments for the songs until much later.
Another reason is that the band felt that the set had a nice flow (with a clear middle, beginning and end) and they didn't feel comfortable tampering with it. Which songs to replace with Zooropa tracks, or where to add them?

Hope this clears it up a bit.

C ya!

Marty

Last edited:
Homerpalooza said:

I was really disappointed with that. The stage set would have fitted the songs perfectly. I think they took the safe/boring option of sticking with tried and trusted oldies for Popmart.

Popmartijn is exactly right. Zooropa came out in July 1993. U2 requires alot of prep time to play new songs and they worked on them once the album was finished during soundchecks. Which would only give them an hour or so every couple of days to work on them. Not to mention there was the production element to consider for new songs on the Zoo tour. Listen to the Dublin 93 show. Bono says before Stay. It a wonderful thing to put out a record while your still on tour. Its quite another to play the F***ing things. Listen to the live versions of Zooropa (the song itself) especially Glasgow and you will see they needed more practice on them. It also showed that some of the new songs messed up the flow of the show.

Australia/New Zealand/Japan got the other Zooropa songs because they had 2 months to rehearse the new songs before that leg of the tour and they obviously were not working on a new album during that time frame like they were prior to and during the Zooropa tour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom