Zane Lowe may have been joking but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
...when he mentioned Journey, Foreigner & Bon Jovi in the Radio 1 interview last week but this is the closest U2 have ever got to being in the same bracket as them bands with this album. Slag me off if you want but the only saving grace is the very different sounding Love and Peace Or Else otherwise you have 10 singles on the album.

rjhbonovox said:
...when he mentioned Journey, Foreigner & Bon Jovi in the Radio 1 interview last week but this is the closest U2 have ever got to being in the same bracket as them bands with this album. Slag me off if you want but the only saving grace is the very different sounding Love and Peace Or Else otherwise you have 10 singles on the album.

Yawn. Everytime you post I take you less and less seriously.

Do you even play an instrument? Anything? Even handbells?

rjhbonovox said:
...when he mentioned Journey, Foreigner & Bon Jovi

He was referring to Bono's slip up of mentioning Nickleback has a great band - Bono quipped Bon Jovi (sarcastically) and Zane then said Journey and Foreigner. He wasn't saying the band sounded anything like these it was just a joke about Nickleback being a great band.

The that you are still slagging the album becuase it's very radio-friendly is just so stupid it blows my mind. DAMN THESE SONGS AND THIER GOOD SONG STRUCTURE! ARG :mad: . No, but seriously, since when is an album lesser in quality becauce it's radio-friendly? I mean the Beatles albums are still played non-stop today on the radio, and they are some of the best work ever.

Not a bad try but this post isn't nearly inflamatory enough.
You need to take it to the next level if you really want some attention. I suggest reading Jicks posts for a couple of weeks for some pointers. Good luck and warmest wishes to you and yours!!

Looks like your arguments going down rjhbonovox, but alas there is no blaze of glory........anyone get it?

Heheheh nice one. Shot down in a blaze of glory thats me. One thing I will say is that Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is ruined by The Edges cringeworthy falsetto bit, should have been done differently, just reminds me of something the aforementioned (especially Bon Jovi) bands would do.

rjhbonovox said:
Heheheh nice one. Shot down in a blaze of glory thats me. One thing I will say is that Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is ruined by The Edges cringeworthy falsetto bit, should have been done differently, just reminds me of something the aforementioned (especially Bon Jovi) bands would do.

Funny, that falsetto bit reminds me of something Prince would do... and to my ears it sounds amazing.

And now that I think about it, I can't think of any example of a Bon Jovi falsetto??????

Well Prince then, even though I like Prince and I mentioned Journey and I like their Escape album but U2 were from a different genre than that or so I thought, so for U2 to have that bit in SYCMIOYO it just sounds too cheesy. Has anyone seen the documentary on the DVD and Lilywhite is actually on about this song when he took over production, he actually says you have no chorus and they then added this falsetto section, why does every song have to have a chorus??? I bet the original was better before Lilywhite made a mess of it, without the falsetto.

rjhbonovox said:
Well Prince then, even though I like Prince and I mentioned Journey and I like their Escape album but U2 were from a different genre than that or so I thought, so for U2 to have that bit in SYCMIOYO it just sounds too cheesy. Has anyone seen the documentary on the DVD and Lilywhite is actually on about this song when he took over production, he actually says you have no chorus and they then added this falsetto section, why does every song have to have a chorus??? I bet the original was better before Lilywhite made a mess of it, without the falsetto.

Cant agree with that my friend....the Falsetto is the best part of the song for me. I love it.

rjhbonovox said:

So whats this mean? Are you only supposed to post if you have massive praise for the album?????? My opinion thats all this is?

blah blah blah, you gotta get tired of regurgitating this same old shit over and over.

Yep when did you become fan let me guess The Joshua Tree then went off them when they went a bit "crazy" in the 90's then you have rediscovered your love for U2 since their return to stadium rock anthemic glory!:huh:

Wow, how fucking wrong are you. I acctually discovered U2 during ATYCLB, and went back through their catalog. Believe it or not, experiencing it this way gives me a more objective look at their work, not having "been there" through the whole thing. And don't get on about how I don't know what I'm talking about becuase i've only been a fan since Beautiful Day, becuase I'm sure I have a much firmer grasp on their music then you ever did or will. And by the way, here's my top 5 U2 albums in order, so you get a feeling for how I stand on their catalog.

1. Achtung Baby
2. HTDAAB
3. POP
4. Joshua Tree
5. Boy

And I'd like to ask you rjhbonovox, what other bands/artists do you enjoy, or rather, enjoy disliking? I'm very curious.

Look i wasn't talking to you I was directing that at Dalton because he is always having a go at me but seen as though you answered my question thats ok. The thing is with U2 they have let me down on this album and the last album. They have returned to the 80's sound the Edge seems to have forgotten what he discovered in the 90's with his guitar and the beautiful sounds he was making in the 90's. Now it seems to be all echo and chiming again. I remember what Bono used to say in the 90's "there is no reverse gear in this band" meaning they are always trying to do different music and exploring new sounds, but it seems they have run out of ideas. I love U2 their music means so much to me but even I can see that now they are sounding to much like they did in the 80's. I am a very disillusioned fan that expects more from the greatest rock band this planet has ever seen.

Also to answer your other question I like Jimi Hendrix, Radiohead, Coldplay, used to love Prince when he picked up the guitar thats for sure, even have albums from Journey, Boston and all that AOR stuff, yeah not a very good taste in music eh.

Oh yeah been to see U2 5 times live first time was back in 1987 at Elland Road Football Ground, Leeds.

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:
Yep when did you become fan let me guess The Joshua Tree then went off them when they went a bit "crazy" in the 90's then you have rediscovered your love for U2 since their return to stadium rock anthemic glory!:huh:

LOL

Actually I truly did become a fan on the War album and saw the band later that year.

Actung Baby is my favorite album ever. Again you're gonna need to buck up here son.

rjhbonovox said:

Also to answer your other question I like Jimi Hendrix, Radiohead, Coldplay, used to love Prince when he picked up the guitar thats for sure, even have albums from Journey, Boston and all that AOR stuff, yeah not a very good taste in music eh.

Hendrix, Radiohead, Coldplay and Prince are all great. Journey and Boston, I shall not comment:wink:. But I think that maybe you WERE dissillutioned when this album was being rumored. Maybe you were expecting the "big rock album" Bono had promiced, but didn't quite deliver. On the other hand, I think this album IS something very different for them, you just have to know where to look. Love and Peace of Else, Vertigo, Original of the Species, and All Because of You are all very new areas for U2. I see where you are coming form about Edge's guitar playing, but it's how he uses that classic sound that makes the difference. I'd like to point out that the new sounds he created during AChtung Baby, were in fact new for him, but he used that same guitar style for ALL of the 90's. So him using his 80's sound again isn't really a big deal. The Edge has ALWAYS sounds like the same, only different in those 3 albums (which again, were all the same guitar-wise). My point is I think you should give the album a good year, then take another look at the album, so maybe you won't have any preconceptions about it. I dont know, it's just a suggestion.

P.S. I can't wait for new Radiohead and COldplay albums in 2005. How about you?

Cant quite agree with The Edge using the same guitar sound all thru the 90's, on achtung baby it was beautiful Hendrix influenced wah wah(where has that gone?) on Pop more fuzzy distortion (on discotheque middle bit) and weird and wonderful sounds like on the fantastic Gone.

And yep looking forward to the New radiohead, Coldplay albums. Its gonna be interesting to see the way these 2 bands go. Coldplay had a real top album with Rush of blood but they may need to change things round a bit to keep people interested, can't keep putting out the same kinda material.

rjhbonovox said:
Cant quite agree with The Edge using the same guitar sound all thru the 90's, on achtung baby it was beautiful Hendrix influenced wah wah(where has that gone?) on Pop more fuzzy distortion (on discotheque middle bit) and weird and wonderful sounds like on the fantastic Gone.

And yep looking forward to the New radiohead, Coldplay albums. Its gonna be interesting to see the way these 2 bands go. Coldplay had a real top album with Rush of blood but they may need to change things round a bit to keep people interested, can't keep putting out the same kinda material.

Agree about Coldplay, but I don't know what to think about Radiohead. Amesiac was stunning in its mediocrity.

Post-OK Computer Radiohead is an aquired taste. I think Amnesiac was stunning in it's brilliance.

Well, it's no secret that Amnesiac is basically leftovers from the KID A sessions that never found a home. It's not a very cohesive album, but I find something to love in every track. FAvorites of mine are

Pyramid song - I think this is one of Yorke's most touching piano ballads

I might be Wrong - Johnny's guitar work is just stunning here, and Thom's vocals are gorgeous

You and Whose Army - Again, a vocal mastpiece

Like Spinning Plates - supposedly the music for "I WIll" from HTTT played backwards. The live verison with just Thom on piano is killer.

Life in a Glass House - I dunno. It's one of my favorite Radiohead songs alltogether. "Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat. Well of course I'd like to sit and chew the fat. Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat. Only, only only only. Only only only only! there's someone list-en-ing."

Back
Top Bottom