Yay or Nay--Using U2 Lyrics for Essay Opener??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
I need some opinions from people. I'm writing an essay for my early brit lit class. The subject is 3 poems (one of which is The Wanderer). In each, the narrator is wandering, either physically or mentally.
Would it be OK to open my essay with part of The Wanderer?? I thought it would be an interesting way to start the essay. What do you think???

I'm so sick of school.

------------------
All I need are some tasty waves, cool buzz, and I'm fine.

?????

I know that frog legs are much more interesting...*sigh*

Come on...do you think this would be appropriate?

------------------

Yeah i think it would be great...

may i suggest a couple parts of the song-

I went out there
In search of experience
To taste and to touch
And to feel as much
As a man can
Before he repents

or

Yeah I left with nothing
Nothing but the thought of you
I went wandering

Altho as its such a rich song, u could really take an opener from anywhere...

heres the whole song while im at it
biggrin.gif

http://lemon.interference.com/u2la/lyrics/albums/zooropa/the-wanderer.html

hope this helps...

I think I'm going to go with this:

yeah i left with nothing
but the thought you'd be there too
looking for you...
yeah i left with nothing
nothing but the thought of you...
i went wandering

smile.gif

------------------

LadyLemon--
I think it's utterly appropriate! (I am a freelance editor, if that helps.) As long as the assignment didn't specify "no song lyrics" and you're using the song as your subject, why not?? I think it would be awfully cool if you can somehow include the singer of that song -- Johnny Cash's presence always communicated as much as the words themselves, to me...his voice is a poem unto itself!

------------------
***the goal is Soul***

LadyLemon, what school do you go to?

------------------
They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three
And you're turning tricks
With your crucifix
You're a star

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Hi LadyLemon,

I say definitely open up with some of the lyrics. I did this on a paper about St. Augustine and a presentation on the ancient poet Horace. Both teachers thought it was a nice touch.

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:
Hi LadyLemon,

I say definitely open up with some of the lyrics. I did this on a paper about St. Augustine and a presentation on the ancient poet Horace. Both teachers thought it was a nice touch.

was that u2 lyrics you somehow managed to weasel in or something else (like a horace poem)?

My suggestion is to use a U2 quote IF IT FITS -- don't try to force it.

Using a U2 lyric *can* work, by the way. I got an A+ on a paper comparing James Joyce's Dubliners to the songs of U2, and I opened with the "artist cannibal/poet thief" lines from the fly.
biggrin.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Well I did it. The paper was a bit rushed, but oh well. It's hard for me to write about stuff I don't care about. Even though I'm an english major, i detest early british lit.

Popfly--i go to bowling green state u.

------------------

You've already done it, but I reckon opening with a U2 line is great if it fits- which it sounds like it does, plus I find comparing using it helps you kick yourself into starting.
I did an essay about U2's cover art and how its reflective of the tone of the songs and lyrics- got my first distinction! I even handed in a cassette with little bits from songs (it was difficult to cut them up though...)

unsure

but if you are going to do it, don't quote rock band U2. it would be a lot better if you said of the words penned by contemporary Irish scribe Paul Hewson. that might get you some brownie points!

If you do, make sure you are aware of the extra line of lyrics:

I went out walking
down that widening road
where no one's trusting no one
and conscience a too heavy load

Back
Top Bottom