Why I think ATYCLB sucks the big one - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2002, 07:52 PM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
As Edge said during the Muchmusic interview, U2 "have made no crap albums."
thank you.

Old 08-28-2002, 08:10 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I agree with Michael Griffiths.

And I do want to bring this point up: you know, musicians just cannot win. If they do the same type of music their entire career, people whine about how they aren't trying new sounds, it's all the same and gets boring.

And if they do try new things with their music, they get complaints because it doesn't sound like the usual stuff by them.

We're a very picky society, I think.

Like I said earlier, those of you who don't like ATYCLB are entitled to your opinions, and you've got your reasons, and that's fine.

I just feel bad for the musicians when they get into that kind of situation where they can't win no matter what they do.

And personally, unless I honestly felt I could do a lot better as far as music goes, I very rarely criticize an artist. People remarked that "New York" had some crappy lyrics...well, I've tried my hand at songwriting and discovered I'm a horrible songwriter, I highly doubt I could do any better myself, so if I hear a song with lyrics that most people would never consider mind-blowing, I figure, hey, at least it's something. Better than anything I could come up with. So I don't say anything.

So yeah, just wanted to say that...you can take from my post what you will.

Angela

Old 08-28-2002, 10:44 PM   #143
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabby
But why do you have to continually keep telling us how much you hate it? It's getting OLD already! Can't you just go hate it in your room or something??
funny, i could say the same with all this pop bashing. of course, i'm not singling you out or accusing you of pop bashing (i can't even keep up with who has been bashing it so i won't name any names, since i can't remember any). i'm just reminding those upset about us expressing our feelings about why we don't like atyclb that some are also expressing their feelings about why pop sucks.

Old 08-28-2002, 11:11 PM   #144
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Let's keep this in perspective people.

I think ATYCLB "sucks" compared to all of U2's other albums - in other words, it sucks by comparison, not in general.

I'm also not directly attacking the feelings of the band members - and I wouldn't know how to if I wanted to. I doubt they spend their time reading "ATYCLB sucks the big one" threads.

Just compare the level of songwriting to Achtung Baby and there's no comparison in my book. The weakest songwriting on Achtung Baby (Who's Gonna Ride...) would be the 2nd or 3rd best song on ATYCLB, IMO.

Remember, I speak in relative terms here.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:23 PM   #145
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by One Tree Still
I doubt they spend their time reading "ATYCLB sucks the big one" threads.

Old 08-29-2002, 01:29 AM   #146
The Fly

Local Time: 08:05 AM
Hi! This is my first post, even though I've been registered here for ages!

Anyway, I agree that ATYCLB isn't U2's best album.
I know that a lot of people like it - I have friends who have never really liked U2 that think ATYCLB is nice, and my mum told me yesterday that one of her collegues is always listening to it. And I listen to it sometimes, after a hard day at uni. It's kind of a feel-good record that people enjoy listening to, and I don't think that is a bad thing at all.

But if I had to write a list of my favourite U2 albums, ATYCLB would probably be my least favourite. I think that compared to the rest of U2's work, it is very safe and unadventurous. Albums like Zooropa and especially Pop are not as easy to listen to, but for me, they are ultimately much more interesting, and better. I think U2 was saying something new in those albums - and they were doing this in a new way; I know that a lot of people don't like these albums much, and that's fair enough, but you've gotta admire that! Personally, I love those albums. I like their darkness, moodiness, grittyness and uncertainty. Although I wouldn't put Pop on if I'd just got home after having a terrible day!

I think that ATYCLB was U2's reaction to how their previous two records were received. The message they probably got was that people don't always like experimentation - sometimes, they just want music that is rocking, but easily digestible and with a nice message. And ATYCLB is a great album in that sense - I think it is much better than most of the popular pop-rock out there right now.

But I hope that with their next album, U2 will really surprise me, make me think. That is something ATYCLB doesn't do. I mean, POE and Grace for example, are great songs with a great message, but the sound is nothing very new; and I know already that peace would be the coollest thing ever, and that grace is an amazing concept.

Anyway, that is just my opinion. I know a lot of people won't agree. And that's ok

BTW, my top 5 U2 albums are:
Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree
Unforgettable Fire
Zooropa
Pop
Old 08-29-2002, 07:49 AM   #147
The Fly

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Re: Why I think ATYCLB sucks the big one

Quote:
Kite - Can you say "November Rain"?
Novermber Rain
Goddamn Slash's solo

Makes me feel like lying down to catch my breath.
It's so awesome.

Such an emotional solo.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:05 AM   #148
Refugee

Local Time: 04:05 AM
ATYCLB pales..

Quote:
Let's keep this in perspective people.

I think ATYCLB "sucks" compared to all of U2's other albums - in other words, it sucks by comparison, not in general.

I'm also not directly attacking the feelings of the band members - and I wouldn't know how to if I wanted to. I doubt they spend their time reading "ATYCLB sucks the big one" threads.

Just compare the level of songwriting to Achtung Baby and there's no comparison in my book. The weakest songwriting on Achtung Baby (Who's Gonna Ride...) would be the 2nd or 3rd best song on ATYCLB, IMO.

Remember, I speak in relative terms here.
ATYCLB can't hold a candle to the Joshua Tree but then again no album can. But ATYCLB is genius, is God, is king --when compared to the hapless Pop.

Ok sorry but this is just a mismatch.

Cheers,

J
Old 08-29-2002, 12:06 PM   #149
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:05 PM
?????

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
u2 must stop catering to what their dumb fans want. please, for the love of kissing, please "rock" or something but enough of the adult contemporary PLEASE.
but all of U2's dumb fans are begging the band to "rock" or something
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-29-2002, 12:10 PM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

AB and JT, with UF close behind.
I don't know but, in your opinion there best album is more than 10 years old - and you are still a fan?
Old 08-29-2002, 12:23 PM   #151
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by FallingStar

I don't know but, in your opinion there best album is more than 10 years old - and you are still a fan?
Uhhh. JT is my fav album, with AB a very close second. And hell yes i'm still a fan!
Old 08-29-2002, 12:32 PM   #152
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:05 PM
"There's a lot of people that expect a lot of things from U2, and people will never get what they expect." -- Bono, 1982

That's why I'll always love this band.

Am I the only one who thinks that both Pop *and* ATYCLB are brilliant records?
Old 08-29-2002, 12:32 PM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK

Uhhh. JT is my fav album, with AB a very close second. And hell yes i'm still a fan!
But you do not hate ATYCLB.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:38 PM   #154
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

No. No, you are not.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:06 PM   #155
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
"There's a lot of people that expect a lot of things from U2, and people will never get what they expect." -- Bono, 1982

I like that quote...well said, Bono.

And no, you're not the only one. Like I said, I haven't heard everything off of "Pop", but I don't see why people complain so much about that album, the stuff I've heard I love, so...I mean, I guess it'd help if I heard the entire album, but...whatever. *Shrugs*.

You've got my support in everything you've been saying throughout this thread, by the way. .

Angela
Old 08-29-2002, 09:14 PM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
As Edge said during the Muchmusic interview, U2 "have made no crap albums."
Amen to that!
Old 08-29-2002, 09:15 PM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

No. Add me to that list too!

Thanks for posting that quote too. One of my faves.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:16 PM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: ATYCLB pales..

Quote:
Originally posted by jick

ATYCLB can't hold a candle to the Joshua Tree but then again no album can. But ATYCLB is genius, is God, is king --when compared to the hapless Pop.

Ok sorry but this is just a mismatch.

Cheers,

J
See, this is why threads like this are just silly. Because I feel that UF, AB, Zooropa, ATYCLB, and War are all superior to JT. Yes, there are some outstanding tracks on JT, but I just like those other albums more. IMO, they are far superior in many ways. But should I start a "JT sucks" thread and then state it's all "comparative"? Hmmm...
Old 08-29-2002, 09:19 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: ATYCLB pales..

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

See, this is why threads like this are just silly. Because I feel that UF, AB, Zooropa, ATYCLB, and War are all superior to JT. Yes, there are some outstanding tracks on JT, but I just like those other albums more. IMO, they are far superior in many ways. But should I start a "JT sucks" thread and then state it's all "comparative"? Hmmm...
Hmmm...I think you already know the answer to that question.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:01 AM   #160
Acrobat

DrWho wrote:
Quote:
Well, for such a silly thread, you've checked in a chimed in quite often. Must be something to it!

Maybe you should voice your opinion - that's all I did and it's one of the most popular threads on the board right now.

I'd like to hear your song-by-song thoughts on JT - seriously.