Who Is Henry Rollins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Over the past few months (or even years), people have drawn comparisons to me and Henry Rollins. I always brush it aside because I don't want to be compared to others. But in a recent thread, that name has been mentioned again and now I am so intrigued. Who is Henry Rollins and what is his relation to U2?

To the mods, sorry for being off-topic here. Once this question in answered, you can already close the thread. Thanks.

Cheers,

J

he is a good stand up comedian though. although his loquaicness, the propensity to talk at length can irritate though.:eyebrow:

Aardvark747 said:
A U2-Basher

.....you see the similarity?

Does he have an official site? Where is he from? Anyone have a bio of him?

I always thought he was some kinda great author and I was compared to him due to my writing style. I am not close to being a U2 basher.

So where can I read up on this guy?

Cheers,

J

jick said:

I always thought he was some kinda great author and I was compared to him due to my writing style.

:lmao:

You see Jick - it's posts like this - that remind me that ur not such a bad guy after all!

:bow: Jick the Legend!

henry rollins was a member of the legendary and influental punk rock band Black Flag.
he went solo after and made a few albums and is now mostly famous as a stand up comedian. (he is really good as a stand up comedian)
He hates U2 and i remember that he once said to smash Bono with a leaden pipe.

patske said:
He hates U2 and i remember that he once said to smash Bono with a leaden pipe.

You see - I know I SHOULDNT get angry about that - but seriously, if sum1 came up to me and said that - I would get so fuckin annoyed. I'd hit em' too...........providing they werent the size of Henry himself!!:wink:

Well I have seen henry Rollins in person and to be honest, I don't think Larry can take Henry..
The guy lives practically in the Gym and he is huge (and wide!)
Bu if we help Larry we might win..
:angry:

Where does Rollins let out his hate for U2? I have never been exposed to it. Coming from a country like mine, all we get from America are the late night talk shows, CNN and MTV. We don't get your radio shows, so I was not ever exposed to Rollins. Where can I read up on him or download mp3s of him bashing U2?

Cheers,

J

PS: Hey don't blame me for my ignorance but you all gotta admit - "Henry Rollins" would make a good name for a best-selling author. So my mistake was a valid one I guess...

This from a year ago and he is quiet calm (I think he matured a bit over the years) :wink:
He was much harder years ago..

January 25, 2004

1/8/03, 10 a.m. ET) -- U2's activist frontman Bono is taking on too many causes, according to actor, singer, spoken-word poet, and pundit Henry Rollins.

"I think if the guy is doing something, it's better than nothing--but I just wonder if he's following through," the ex-Black Flag frontman told Britain's Sunday Mirror.

Rollins is in no way a U2 fan, but respects Bono's convictions. "I hate this guy's music, but I like the idea of absolving Third World debt, because otherwise these people are going to die. So if he's using all that rock-star power, well, right on. Like he's Mr. Africa Third World Debt Guy, which is a huge issue, but now, he's Mr. AIDS Guy. Well, wait a minute, how did you go from Third World debt to AIDS?"

Rollins is skeptical about the timing of the activism as well, suggesting to the Mirror, "Is this a crusade or really good promo for U2's new Greatest Hits album? I have to think his heart's in the right place. I think he's a boring singer, but I don't think he's a bad man."

rollins.gif

I guess Rollins is not a very desireable fellow but I guess I share his view that absolving third world debt would be beneficial to all. I think I do share some of is skeptical nature but mine is more refined and not "baseless hate" that Rollins seems to have for U2 (at least based on that article referred to in this thread). I'd love to read up on more articles that feature Rollins and his U2 comments so maybe you guys can post more links or articles.

Cheers,

J

Jick, don't be fooled. If you look for opinions about Rollins on a U2 message board, of course you're going to get a barrage of negative comments. As much as I get put off by his comments, there will be a U2 bias here obviously. You have to go look up info with the help of everyone's best buddy Google.

Zootlesque said:
Jick, don't be fooled. If you look for opinions about Rollins on a U2 message board, of course you're going to get a barrage of negative comments. As much as I get put off by his comments, there will be a U2 bias here obviously. You have to go look up info with the help of everyone's best buddy Google.

I don't think anything is wrong with looking for his comments. The problems will arise when people actually start agreeing with his baseless comments (if they indeed are baseless).

I am sure U2 fans are well-versed with the pros and cons of their band, as well as all the negative stuff posted about the band. It was in this forum where I found a parody of Stuck In A Moment, and a website describing in detail the "11 worst songs ever" describing all the 11 songs of HTDAAB. So U2 fans surely won't be pissed if I look for Rollins material from them.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

It was in this forum where I found a parody of Stuck In A Moment, and a website describing in detail the "11 worst songs ever" describing all the 11 songs of HTDAAB.

That's true... that asshole Maddox! :wink:

Jick if you go on various p2p type places like kazaa or soulseek, and search "rollins U2" or something like that you'll get an mp3 of Rollins in Dublin trashing U2. BTW I did like that song "Liar" he made in the 90's...plus he looked all red & devil-ish in the video.

Oh and have you seen how big this guy is...and he wants to smack Bono? He should have a go at Glenn Danzig or somebody...wussy. :)

I just listened to Rollins' 'I hate U2' dublin spoken word again. He definitely comes off as a meathead asshole with the sense of humour of a 12 year old. And I tried to detatch myself from a U2 fan bias and listened to it with an open mind. It still sounds silly, juvenile and annoying as hell.

Back
Top Bottom