When do you listen to U2? and any reason why? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:25 PM
When do you listen to U2? and any reason why?

I have seen posts in other threads regarding listening to U2 during a workout. Some people have suggested that they refrain from listening to U2 because they do not wish to associate U2's music with a negative experience. Others have said that U2 motivates them to press on and work out harder.

Interesting perspectives. How do you perceive the music and its affect upon your well-being. Do you use U2 to help alleviate sorrow and melancholy or would you rather not listen to U2 in the fear that you will associate the music with bad times.

For me, U2 lifts my spirits even during the negative moments. If I am suffering a moment of roadrage, working out, feeling sad or lonely, depressed or stressed out, a good shot of some of my favorites U2 tunes turns my frown upside down.

Peace out.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:02 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 02:55 PM
I listen to U2 when I do my daily, sitting-in-my-chair spacing out session. I find it very hard to do homework, workout, or read a book when I'm listening to U2, because I become fully absorbed in the music. So I just lie back in my chair and turn the music up loud, and spend about an hour that way. This is why my mom associates U2 with drugs, because I act so stoned, LOL.

But, no, I'll be serious. I listen to U2 a lot when I am feeling sad or bitter actually, because it washes that misery away.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:13 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
At least 4 of the 8 and a half hours I work every day.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:50 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Most of the time.

It's completely insane.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:52 AM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 05:55 PM
It's not by routine or anything like that. But U2 gets played alot. I'm big on the headphones. I make time for the ear buds. I love U2 loud and in every glorious detail.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:05 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:55 PM
Basically if I'm home, then the music is on. And usually it's U2, at high volume. All my neighbors in the apartment building must love me.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:08 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
Basically if I'm home, then the music is on. And usually it's U2, at high volume. All my neighbors in the apartment building must love me.
If they dont - there is something wrong with them!
Old 03-11-2005, 02:23 AM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 07:55 AM
I mostly listen to U2 to and from work on the train (which is an hour each way) I have a netmd player so it's easy to make different play lists on the computer, but I got it like 3 months before the U2 ipod come out I also listen to U2 in the office if there isn't much going on and no one's around.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:31 AM   #9
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:55 AM
I think I even listen to U2 in my sleep.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-11-2005, 03:24 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Pretty much all the time. Every time I'm in the car going somewhere, I have a U2 CD in the stereo. I listen to U2 when I'm exercising, when I'm at the computer goofing around on this forum, when I'm housecleaning, and any number of other occasions.

However, I don't listen to much U2 when I'm feeling depressed. That's because I like to listen to sadder songs then, and there aren't many U2 songs that fit that description (for me, at least.) I will admit though that when I heard about Edge's daughter, I listened to MLK for about an hour, crying the whole time.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:13 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Very often.
I had the longest not u2 period last week: it was 2 days because i didn't have batteries for discman
Old 03-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I listen to U2 in the car, in the bathtub (where I spend an inordinate amount of time), in the kitchen, and when I exercise. I ran a half-marathon in January and listened to U2 every step of the way, which I'm convinced saw me through to the end. I also listen to U2 in my office and regularly have people stick their head in and scowl at me when it's too loud
Old 03-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #13
War Child

I listen to there live concets will working out.
Discoteque, the fly, elevation, beautiful Day and others live really gets the blood working
Old 03-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

when i feel like it

'cause i feel like it
Old 03-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Listen to them pretty much all the time. I don't necessarily need to be in a particular mood. Any mood works for me.

Although, i always dig into the U2 catalogue when I need to be centered or get back to basics - why am i here, what is important, what is pure music the way it's meant to be played...when i need those answers, U2 fits the bill.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:55 PM
I listen to U2 every day.......... all different times!!!

And for those of you who do some sort of exercise workout (pilates / aerobics etc...) while listening to U2.... then
these two tunes are excellent songs for "working out"::::

Discotheque ( DM Deep Extended Club Mix ) This song is 10 mins.
Pop Muzik ( Pop Mart Mix ) This song is 8 and a half mins long..

I listen to these when I workout and the "rhythm" in these songs
alone...is the reason why they're "GREAT" workout tunes.. they
will really keep me "moving", even when I tire out!!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 06:55 PM
They put me to sleep every night when I go to bed. I just pop in HTDAAB and put the sleep button on. And then my alarm awakes me to HTDAAB. And then I listen to them countless times inbetween. Good music for going on longggggggg drives.

Also I listened to Pop Muzik when I was getting ready in the morning the day of my exams.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #18
The Fly

I've been having a 'U2-binge' this last fortnight... the rest of my CDs have been completely forsaken. I think its driving my housemates round the bend, but hey, they don't know what they're missing out on.

I had a 3000 word essay to do last week and the band kept me going. And now... because it's the end of term, I can turn it up loud and relish my holiday freedom
Old 03-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #19
The Fly

Too Funny! Because I used to, back in the day, work out to Two Hearts Beat As One with my girlfriend along with SBS, NYD etc. However, I never knew "WHO" the band was until I heard WOWY.
Then I ask her, who is this? We have to see them in concert. She
told me I already "Did know them".........just not their name....LOL
That was back in 86. Today, I listen to them all the time. They have so many records now. Each is different. It's perfect! It just depends on my mood when deciding which one to listen to.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:55 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:55 PM
I probably listen to U2 the most when I'm in the car. I had to be on the road today for a couple of hours and I had U2 playing the entire time.

I used to listen to The Best of 1990-2000 or Zooropa a lot when I was working out, but then I got lazy and stopped going to the gym.