What's the big deal with Creed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Let me first make myself very clear: nobody hates having to say this more than I do. That said, I think it is obvious that Creed is the most popular rock band in the world today.

And I don't get it.

"Weathered" is in its fourth week on the charts and has already been tagged at over 4 million sales in the US. (I know the Billboard charts are based on anticipated sales, but it will easily hit this mark.) Regardless, that's pretty impressive for a rock band in the 2001 music scene. The first single "My Sacrifice", or whatever it's called, is burning up the charts. It is getting huge radio play. The media loves these guys.

I just don't get it.

I find absolutely nothing original, unique, or compelling about this band. Scott Staff or Stapp, or whatever his name is, is clearly an Eddie Vedder rip off on the vocals, like many others before him. The music is so mediocre it makes me want to puke - there is absolutely nothing in there that is worthy of the praise this band receives. A bunch of heavy power chords to a mid-paced beat. Big deal. Creed is basically a mainstream mutation of grunge.

If someone could please give me some insight as to why Creed is so popular, I'd really appreciate it.

no idea?

------------------
~ME THREE

you can try the best you can
you can try the best you can
the best you can is good enough

I don't think that Creed is the most popular rock band in the world today - the fact that they're inexplicably #1 on Soundscan is indicative of their units shipped - not exactly sold - and just last week, they were only at 1.5 million sold. It's only after months, from what I've read, that the truer numbers come out. Take for instance Gorillaz - on the Billboard 200, it has them as platinum, but they have only gone barely Gold in sales, although they have shipped over a million units of product into stores.

For what it's worth - I don't know anyone who likes Creed. And I'm even from the city they started in and became famous from.

Also, the media does not love them - they are dogged for most things they do - from album artwork, to Stapp's grandiose mannerisms, to their meglomania, etc.. I've actually never seen many other bands generate as much flack in the media as these guys do.

Just my .02.

------------------
No alarms and no surprises, please.

I can't stand Creed and their popularity I find dumbfounding. They are HORRIBLE and have absolutely no originality. When I first heard them I thought- Pearl Jam has a new record? lol They suck!!! They sound like other crap bands before them, not to mention any names *cough* Live.
mad.gif

One last thing: I know there are Creed fans on this board, maybe they can enlighten us as to their appeal?

Look at the music industry today. If you HAD to choose between Britney and Creed, what would you choose? That's one of the main reasons for Creed's success. There are no good mainstream alternatives. The music industry has been riding this pop wave and now its fizzling and the industry has no "Next Big Thing" so we're stuck with mediocrity.

That being said, I liked Higher so I borrowed my sister's Creed CD to see how the rest of it was. Its all the same. Higher, Arms Wide Open, My Sacrifice, whatever. I couldn't discern one song from another. At least with U2 you have different songs on the same album.

I know I might get roasted for this, but I'd choose Britney over Creed any day.

At least I can dance to her shit, and it is shit, but if I can dance, then I'm getting exercise, and not a headache - which is what
Creed gives me.

------------------
No alarms and no surprises, please.

Flame me if you wish, but I actually like Creed. I don't hear Pearl Jam when I close my eyes and listen ..... I guess it's just a matter of opinion though. Personally, I like the lyrics, heavy guitars, and somewhat overall religious overtones of the band. I do think that Stapp can be an egoist sometimes, but when you think of frontmen -- who isn't? With Arms Wide Open came out right after the birth of my first child, and the song really hit home for me. Those of you with kids will understand, I'm sure. And at least they play their own instruments/music, unlike so many of the artists out there today. I'm not ashamed of it.....I like 'em!

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
I know I might get roasted for this, but I'd choose Britney over Creed any day.

At least I can dance to her shit, and it is shit, but if I can dance, then I'm getting exercise, and not a headache - which is what
Creed gives me.

OMIGOD HelloAngel!! LMAO!!!!
biggrin.gif
I couldn't have said it better myself... hee hee hee

I'm a slaaaave for u Oh dear.

They are not the biggest band in the world. I'm pissed that you said that. It's just fucking ignorant! Why is it that if a band is big in the U.S. you say that their the biggest band. Did creed go to number 1 in 34 contries? If they did then we can talk about it!

Oh yah they are probably popular because they are good. I don't like them, you don't hav to eiter but they write good uplifting rock music for the younger generation. I think thats why you fell amnocity towards them. Because ther is anothr band you like that just happens to write uplifting rock also.

Sorry, but I really can't stand them. I agree with sharky- I find each song to be a repetition of the one before.

If I had to choose between creed & britney, I'd turn on National Public Radio or just turn it off.

I have 3 cardinal rules in my car:
1)No Creed
2)No Hootie
3)No nsync
Me in my car when one of the above comes on the radio: "Oh, HELL NO!"- as I quickly change stations before any annoying refrain gets stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Originally posted by gherman:
They are not the biggest band in the world. I'm pissed that you said that. It's just fucking ignorant! Why is it that if a band is big in the U.S. you say that their the biggest band. Did creed go to number 1 in 34 contries? If they did then we can talk about it!

Well, apparently, at least according to Rolling Stone earlier this year, you can be the biggest band in the world if you go number one in the US and enter the charts in the UK at 13 and even lower in other countries. At least, that's what happened to N Sync and RS proclaimed them the "Biggest Band in the World".

Oh yah they are probably popular because they are good.

That's a matter of opinion and my opinion is that they are not good.

Originally posted by Angel:
That's a matter of opinion and my opinion is that they are not good.

LMAO!!!

Just look at that rapper Nelly - or Ludacris - they're popular, or were - and they are NOT GOOD
smile.gif

everyone needs to listen to fugazi.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

first of all Creed is NOT the biggest band in the world or in the US. They are the biggest hard rock band in the US and that could be contested by Staind.

Second, I get sick of comparisons to Pearl Jam
in the year 2016 Pearl Jam will go into the RNR hall of fame and Creed will be a footnote in bad music much like Posion and Night Ranger.

Creed are not horrible, but not nearly respectable, that is the only reason they succed they have no counterparts, in the realm of rock and roll in its current state in the US, the best band in the US IMHO is Tool, but they are way too non mainstream and way too hard and artsy for most people here, all you have to do is look at the charts to see the popular shit.

Now the biggest band in the world is probably NStink, but the biggest rock band in the world is probably Radiohead, the best rock band in the world could be argued but they are all artists who came out prior to the pop explosion in 1997/98.

Of course its an opinion, but if any band that made anything partially original, had integrity and made great songs would dominate. Creed thrive off the weak US rock market. I get it because when you are a 16-18 year old kid you'd rather listen to whats current 'Creed' than what preceded it 'insert good band here' simply because its not 'cool' for kids at that age.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
I don't think that Creed is the most popular rock band in the world today
[

And they're not. FYI, I've just picked up a copy of the Dutch charts (as it also has the year-end results, more about U2's position on them next week in Where The Album Has A Name). After some searching, I found Creed. They're at #68 in their 4th week on the charts, after having peaked at #51. They're even lower than U2's 2 albums in the charts! Of course, this is only one country (and also quite a small one), but I think you'll see quite similar results in the rest of Europe.
There is this large canyon between Europe and the USA. What is popular here (Live, Kylie Minogue, Anastacia) isn't popular in the USA and vice versa (Creed, Hootie, Dave Matthews Band have never sold much in Europe).
Oh, for those interested in those other US icons:
Britney: She slips to #36 in her 6th week after having peaked at #11 (the record isn't even gold).
smile.gif

NSUCK: They disappeared from the chart in 5 or 6 weeks or so. In short: no sales.
biggrin.gif

- the fact that they're inexplicably #1 on Soundscan is indicative of their units shipped - not exactly sold - and just last week, they were only at 1.5 million sold.

I have to correct you here. Soundscan DOES measure the over-the-counter sales, i.e. the exact amount of albums sold. This is the most reliable actual sales data that is available at the moment. RCAA certifications (platinum, double platinum, quadruple platinum, etc.) are for the units shipped (i.e. the total amount sold + what the record shops have in their inventory).
To be honest, having sold 2 million copies (1.5 million up to last week and 500,000 this week) in only four weeks is very respectable. That's more than U2 sold in their first 2 months (maybe even 3 months). Still, copies sold does say nothing about musical quality.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

It is true there are not many rock alternatives in the mainstream, but if I had to choose a rock band in the mainstream today I would definately go with Incubus. They are far better than Creed in my opinion. And as far as people I encounter, they all seem to favor Incubus over Creed, too... or atleast I haven't met a real Creed fan, but do know many who love Incubus' new album. I'm not going by sales figures of any sort so I can't back this up with anything other than my observation and personal preference.

Originally posted by Zoocoustic:
I find absolutely nothing original, unique, or compelling about this band.

And so you shouldn't, but unfortunately it doesn't take originality or compellation (it's a word now damnit!) for a band to be hugely popular these days.

I was wondering to myself today the very same thing when I heard their single on the radio at my office coming from someone else's desk for the third time in one eight hour span. This band sucks really bad. I agree with David; listen to Fugazi. Or listen to Pete Yorn or Dashboard Confessional or Radiohead. If it has to be hard, there's 10,000 bands out there doing that so why waste yr life listening to the slothful dirges that Creed doles out in their sleep while their supposedly making the next Joshua Tree.

I just don't get it. btw, Britney rocks.
wink.gif

------------------

I don't like them, you don't hav to eiter but they write good uplifting rock music for the younger generation. I think thats why you fell amnocity towards them. Because ther is anothr band you like that just happens to write uplifting rock also.

Uplifting? Have you listened to the first half of "Weathered?" It's some of the darkest, most depressing shit out there. I'd give you song names, too, but I can't tell any of them apart
wink.gif

-Mike

------------------
My U2 Bootleg Archive
*Down until January 21st.* For special requests, or uploads, contact me in the MP3 forum.

Just a quick correction on the chart/sales numbers there.

Creed's "Weathered" has been #1 on the Billboard chart for 4 consecutive weeks. Billboard creates their chart based on SoundScan sales. Sales for this past week were over 550,000 copies, which was enough for the #1 position. There are weeks when that total is not enough.

The SoundScan numbers come from the actual number of times an album is scanned at a register. In the early days, SoundScan would rely on the businesses that used scanners and estimate for the rest of the country. These days, just about every store relies on a scanner, so the numbers are very accurate. In other words, these are the actual number of copies sold to consumers in a given week.

That "4x Platinum" indication you see next to the album indicates how many copies where bought by stores - NOT by customers. Stores across the U.S. bought 4 million copies of the album. Creed's label paid the RIAA to audit them and confirm sales of 4 million copies. At this point, the album can then get certification for 4x Platinum. The number of copies sold to stores (also referred to as "shipped to stores) does NOT have to equal the number of copies bought by actual consumers.

Overall, I would say that consumers have bought about 2.5 million copies of "Weathered" in the past 4 weeks. Stores have an extra 1.5 million copies in anticipation of future sales.

U2's ATYCLB has sold approximately 3.2 million copies to actual consumers. It is certified as only 3x Platinum. If ATYCLB's sales near 3.8 to 3.9 million to actual consumers, it will then get 4x Platinum certification. The reason is because the album has been out for over a year and sales aren't that high that stores will buy tons of extra copies. They will keep some copies, but the album won't be "flying off the shelves" at this point.

Then again, U2's Super Bowl appearance and Grammy nominations/wins could generate a significant spike in sales. Likewise, if U2 are able to get one more big hit off of the album, this too could get a jump in sales.

Nevertheless, I just wanted to clear up the confusion between SoundScan, Billboard, units shipped and units sold.

As for this recent Creed release - well, I've only heard the one song and was HORRIBLy disappointed in it. I liked a few songs from the last album, but this song so far is terrible.

If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Don't waiste your time pissin' and moanin' about it on some internet forum. Listen to what you like and let everyone else do the same.
it's that easy...

------------------
I wanna dance, dance, dance in the dirty rain....where the streets have no name...

[This message has been edited by Se7en (edited 12-20-2001).]

I just got it today. I think the album sucks. It has two good songs on it, maybe three. Maybe it takes time to listen to it, but wow some songs are just horrible. Creed's Joshua Tree? LOL. Try Creed's "baby hit me one more time".

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

I love Creed. And the first half of Weathered is indeed very dark, but the album does tell a story. The narrator loses his hope in various ways through the first half, until he's "down to one last breath", and then an old friend (Jesus?) lifts him up out of it, and the album from there on is the polar opposite of the first half. Creed thrives on their light/dark thing, look at My Own Prison. Now I know most of you don't like them, and I don't really care. I love their music, I love their message, but I don't really have a whole lot of respect for them, and I know they're not the best band. But Tremonti can still rip it.

Back
Top Bottom