What will end U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Do you think perhaps it will come to a natural end...ya know, fizzle out or perhaps (gawd elp us) one of them calling it a day?
I remember a difference of opinion wi my dad circa JT time, which he asked me did i think ppl would remember U2 in 20 yrs time. And of course, I sed yeah, and here we are.
That was based more teen stubborness than an educated guess tho. I look back now and i suppose no one in their right mind could (hand on heart) have predicted that.
Point being, a few U2's could have came, saw and conquered in that time. Anyhow, am getting the feeling am rambelling now. So thats the question........if ya havent lost the will to live by now!

Ego (they stop making music once they don't feel they're the biggest band in the world anymore), or health reasons (Bono's voice and Larry's back/wrist problem).

I don't think anything will stop them as I think they have the talent and the nous to keep ahead of the game. Above all I think what has kept them at the top has been the quality and diversity of the nusic, the ability to "dream it all up again" has stretched and enlarged theur ever loyal fanbase. Howevr Ithink the one thing that could destroy them is a continuation of the trend of between 4-5 years wait between albums, and once you've waited that long finding an album that offers less than the previous one eg ATYCLB- HTDAAB.

I suppose if U2 ever totally quit it will probably be due to health reasons.

I wouldn't be surprised though if we see the albums coming further and further apart. I think they'll always make music, but I think they're getting to the point in their lives where they probably value their family time more than ever and feel that they can afford to take a bit more time off then they used to because they have achieved such incredible success.

^ yeah.
in their words, they're done when they make a "crap" album, and hopefully they don't feel that way about their music any time soon. i doubt they could ever come up with a crap album anyway, they're U2, come on! =)
i'm really excited b/c all this media is emphasizing hte fact that this next album is in a new direction, so yay!

My only hope is that the band knows when it's time to stop. A lot of bands out there doing reunion tours or farewell tours are a million miles from their best days, and I want to see U2 go out on top, not with a whimper.

The only way I see U2 "ending" would be due to health reasons. Otherwise, U2 will be like the Rolling Stones and keep marching on.

Larry says in "U2 By U2" that the nature of the relationships in the band means that they'll end because someone squeezed toothpaste out the wrong end of the tube.

I have a very clear picture in my mind: They go into the studio to make a new album and they just don't come up with anything, and they try a couple more times, nothing works, and they sort of just dissolve away until they officially announce the end.

Bono will end U2. It has already begun. He is juggling a lot of things that will ultimately win out over the band.

I tend to think the end of the band will be tied to something big. They'll put out their best album and then something cool will happen. I don't know what, but they have such a legacy already — I don't think it's over though.

man, what a depressing topic :( ....I think that they will end when they put out a bad album, as many others have stated.

nathan1977 said:
Larry says in "U2 By U2" that the nature of the relationships in the band means that they'll end because someone squeezed toothpaste out the wrong end of the tube.

And Bono says two bad albums in a row and you're done.

Also, health issues seem logical.

Adam has said when they get to the point of playing a greatest hits tour in a small theater, then that's exactly what they'll do.

Any of the three really are possible, but I'm betting on Edge. When Edge decides to call it a day, it'll be over and he seems the one to most want to get out. One day either Sian will get really sick, he'll just get tired, or just finally get sick of Bono or whatever, and he'll "retire" and that will be the end of it.

Post U2:

Edge - Soundtracks and production.
Bono - Politics
Adam - Tabloid darling; guest musician on albums and at big ceremonies.
Larry - holed up in the countryside rarely to be heard from.

Three reasons:
1) Health

2) Boredom/creative disagreements/inability to find a producer to take them in a new direction.

3)Edge, Bono and Larry all have children roughly the same age, and don't want to be away for long stints with this set the way Edge and Bono were with the older ones.

Back
Top Bottom