What Songs Were Ahead of Their Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moser

Refugee
As I diligently believe POP was ahead of its time....I want to know what you U2 songs you think were ahead of their time?

Electric Co.

MOFO!!!

I've always felt most of U2's 80s work was way ahead of its time. No one sounded like them during that time period. Songs like:

NYD
Streets
WOWY

all sound way ahead of their time.

I really don't think Mofo was ahead of it's time, it was leaps for U2, but it wasn't like lots of other bands jumped on that sound...

WOWY was pretty ahead of it's time, a song with that kind of space in it, it was a first of it's kind on the radio and then became a common sound for years...

Except for perhaps their very, very early works, I can't think of really any songs which have lost their meaning or are stuck in their time. I feel like U2 always made honest and original music which did not cater to -- though sure, was influenced by -- the trends of time.

From Boy to Hut-dub, U2 feels ever-fresh and vital to my ears anyway. :)

Vertigo. Those 5 power chords were soooooo ahead of their time.

:wink:

But, seriously, WOWY is the one that comes to mind.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
WOWY was pretty ahead of it's time, a song with that kind of space in it, it was a first of it's kind on the radio and then became a common sound for years...

I remember thinking when I first heard WOWY on the radio back in 1987 that it sounded like absolutely nothing I had ever heard on the radio before, but I can't think of any songs on the radio since then that sounded like it either. But maybe my undying love for the song is keeping me from hearing the similarities because I want to keep WOWY unique in my mind. Can you name some other songs that have a similar sound or dynamic?

TheMillionDollarHotel.jpg

Bono's shades said:

I remember thinking when I first heard WOWY on the radio back in 1987 that it sounded like absolutely nothing I had ever heard on the radio before, but I can't think of any songs on the radio since then that sounded like it either. But maybe my undying love for the song is keeping me from hearing the similarities because I want to keep WOWY unique in my mind. Can you name some other songs that have a similar sound or dynamic?

Almost everything before this song had to be filled with lots of guitar or synth, or piano, etc. whereas WOWY had the bass line and the sustained guitar left all this space for these soaring vocals. A lot of trance and electronic songs in the 90's were like this... I'll try to get back to you with some specifics.

K...U2 is my favorite band and all but nothing they do is ahead of the times. That would require innovation and drastic change in direction, something they don't do much. The Edge is a sound wizard, but I'm sure he gets most of his sounds from hearing others previoulsy that have streamlined into his consicousness.

But if I had to pick a song...

nope forget t I can't.

You want ahead of it's time...

Turn Into Earth-The Yardbirds(1965)
21st Centry Schizoid Man-King Crimson(1969)
The Electrician- Scott Walker (1978)
The Cockfighter-Scott Walker (1995)

just for example.

I guess some of us have different definitions of "ahead of it's time"...

I mean out of that list, I'll give the Yardbirds but everything else had been done before or is just a "weird" song. Weird doesn't exactly mean it's a head of it's time. I don't see "the Cockfighter" really shaping anything in the future.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yes, I agree, and it's interesting to hear them.

I believe Vertigo was out of this world...not necessarily ahead of its time (we're gonna have to see in a decade)..but definitely a strange sounding song.

And I stand by my opinion that POP is ahead of its time (and #1).

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I don't see "the Cockfighter" really shaping anything in the future.

That's because we probably won't see anyone write another song like that or make an album like "Tilt" until maybe 2060, when somebody finds an obsucre copy of it and is as blown away as I and a couple others were.

2060 might be a bit premature though.

The Joshua Tree is perhaps the only album that sounds genuinely "timeless" to me. It sounds beyond any era. It doesn't sound like it was made in the 80's. It couldn't sound like it was made in the 50s or the 00s. It is beyond time, in a sense. An incredible and rare thing.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

That's because we probably won't see anyone write another song like that or make an album like "Tilt" until maybe 2060, when somebody finds an obsucre copy of it and is as blown away as I and a couple others were.

2060 might be a bit premature though.

Well then you can't say it's ahead of it's time unless you know someday it will be listenable or acceptable.

Although I think you are putting way too much stock in that album, I think Tilt is one of his least adventerous albums and hear a lot of borrowed elements...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well then you can't say it's ahead of it's time unless you know someday it will be listenable or acceptable.

Although I think you are putting way too much stock in that album, I think Tilt is one of his least adventerous albums and hear a lot of borrowed elements...

Well your opinion is duly noted...

But I don't think I can take you seriously anymore.

And who says if something is ahead of its time it has to be acceptable??? Casey Casem?

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Well your opinion is duly noted...

But I don't think I can take you seriously anymore.

And who says if something is ahead of its time it has to be acceptable??? Casey Casem?

:huh: Who says if something is ahead of ITS TIME it has to be acceptable?

Um, well the term itself. If something is ahead of its time, it assumes that at some point it would have its time. It doesn't mean that something is just "experimental" or doesn't fit at the time it's written.

I think U2's influence on live perfomances nowadays has been huge thanks to ZOO TV

I don't think any of their songs has been immensely influential

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I mean out of that list, I'll give the Yardbirds but everything else had been done before or is just a "weird" song. Weird doesn't exactly mean it's a head of it's time. I don't see "the Cockfighter" really shaping anything in the future.

21st Century Schizoid Man isn't "just a 'weird' song." It's the opening track on an extremely influential album that went on to shape the future of progressive rock in the 1970s. I would definitely agree with the original poster that it was ahead of its time.

GibsonGirl said:

21st Century Schizoid Man isn't "just a 'weird' song." It's the opening track on an extremely influential album that went on to shape the future of progressive rock in the 1970s. I would definitely agree with the original poster that it was ahead of its time.

Yes it's influential, but I don't really think it's all that ahead of it's time, I can hear some Beatles and a lot of the music that was at the verge of metal and progressive music that was happening at the time, i.e. Black Sabbath, etc...

I'd have to say none of them. :shrug: They all sound like the time they were released.

Back
Top Bottom