what is Edge with out his delay pedal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
can he make it with out it. can he still cut a solo, is he a good guitar player and if so can he impress us with out that pedal that he has used since the birth of u2.

it would be cool if he gave up delay in their next record. will he sound like shit or will he blow us away.

i know its a guitar record and that bono has said that full metal jacket is the mother load of all rock songs(or something like that)and edge does the vocals too(this has to be the most anticipated song on the new album)cant wait.:yes:

I thought this was a riddle.

Anyway, you'll probably hear more stripped down sounds in the next record.

:up:

I think he's great with or without the delay pedal. I'm sure he'll use it some on the next record, but not too much I predict. I don't know we'll have to wait and see.

shaun vox said:
can he make it with out it. can he still cut a solo, is he a good guitar player and if so can he impress us with out that pedal that he has used since the birth of u2.

it would be cool if he gave up delay in their next record. will he sound like shit or will he blow us away.

i know its a guitar record and that bono has said that full metal jacket is the mother load of all rock songs(or something like that)and edge does the vocals too(this has to be the most anticipated song on the new album)cant wait.:yes:

Edge without his delay pedal is the B-stage Edge - nothing but chords. Even U2's covers were nothing but chords, Everlasting Love, Christmas Baby Please Come Home, Beat On The Brat, etc. Edge is just a rhythm guitar player who plays simple chords without the delay pedal.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

A delay pedal is just an instument used to delay the sound he's making. Doesn't make since that he can't play at all without it. I don't know how you came up with that. I think after playing most of his lifetime would make him better than just a 'rhythm guitar player'.

Edge could probably sound good on just about anything since he just has good instincts as a guitar player. You'll often hear that the hardest part about being a guitar player is soloing; a bad solo sounds out of place and masturbatory. Being a good guitar player isn't about gadgetry and technical tricks, it's about knowing what to play.

No Edge.... don't do it

No delay pedal may alter the tone/ sound he gets with his instruments. IT might IMO help get a warmer sound/ tone IMO. It also obviously helps him sound like he's playing more notes than what he really is alah "Streets...".

Edge without delay would be pointless IMO. It's like asking evey rock guitarist to forgo reverb for instance. Reverb however is a key component/ effect to rock music. To lose reverb would be to lose something in rock. For Edge to lose the delay IMO would be losing something that makes U2, U2. To lose the delay for a whole album wouldn't be bad.

The delay effect is part of the Edge's sound/ style. He can lessen the amount of delay he puts in songs, etc. which he has done but what is the point. The Edge was never a shredder and I don't think he cares for the shredding genre (although I'm growing to really appreciate it more). Maybe' it would get the creative juices flowing for the Edge or create a musical disaster...

I don't mind them overusing effects/ sounds as long as it makes interesting music.

Re: Re: what is Edge with out his delay pedal?

jick said:
Edge without his delay pedal is the B-stage Edge - nothing but chords. Even U2's covers were nothing but chords, Everlasting Love, Christmas Baby Please Come Home, Beat On The Brat, etc. Edge is just a rhythm guitar player who plays simple chords without the delay pedal.

I'll have to somewhat disagree with that. During the JT Tour they covered All Along The Watchtower a few times... and Edge put together a respectable solo (different from the Rattle And Hum version)... stripped down without delay. Most bands that do cover songs in live performance generally just do the chords... to raise the crowd. It has nothing to do with musicianship.

and a note to everyone: there's nothing wrong with being a rhythm guitar player. actually being a good rhythm guitar player can be equally difficult to being a good lead guitarist. i think both edge and keith richards prove that you can have a sig guitar sound without playing loads of solos.

shaun vox said:

The man has sooooooo much rack gear that he could whip up something totally new and unexpected if he didn't have his delay unit.

Back
Top Bottom