What could U2 do to top the Achtung Baby reinvention?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ahmad its very true, very true...
i remember back in 91-92, when A LOT of so called U2 fans were saying U2 had lost their direction, their ambition, their message, their magic, and that U2 SHOULD go back and inmediately put out a JT/RH part II
I also heard comments of U2 being nazis, imagine it! look how far the SO CALLED U2 fans went with AB!
Bono just said that he thought "they had made a great record, its just that people maybe weren't ready for it"
:cool:

U2DMfan said:
The only image overhaul the band needs is Bono.
He's become a parody of himself.

1. Cut that grease mop and trim the hair tight
2. Lose the shades and wear some rimmed glasses ala Elvis Costello rather than tacky wraparound sunglasses if you have to wear them at all (light sensitive, supposedly)
3. wear something colorful or exciting for once!!! Drab drab drab, I sound like a moron talking about fashion.
4. grow a Jim Morrison beard..... okay maybe I've gone too far.

I

Bono needs to take off the syrup and put loads of fake tan on and wear a nice afro wig, like Jimi Hendrix. That would be cool, a black Bono for a bit!:wink:

U2Man said:

Yes, last night, when you were really, really drunk. Queen Bee told me about it.

Yeah right! You tried to molest Chizip when he was drunk, didn't you? Just like you tried with UToo and me... :tsk:

innocent_eyes said:
hmmm...

what's funny is that I think that is one of the worst bono looks, he looks just aweful in the Ground beneath her feet video, and i love that song and video!

those were by far the goofiest glasses he's ever wore, even the popmart shades were better.

<a href=http://www.u2exit.com/pix/albums/bono/aaa.sized.jpg></a>

totally agree, I think that image was one of his worst. It seemed stuck inbetween 2 images or something..the slicked back hair didnt do anything for me....and those glasses....ugh. The make his eyes look like periscopes.

back to the short Pop hair, just badass. And good for his age. :wink:

1- Stop bashing Pop and Zooropa
2- Stop praising ATYCLB and HTDAAB, both are the same music
3- Calling whole NEW producers. No more Brian Eno, Lanois, etc
4- Cutting Bono´s hair and taking off sunglases and all that stuff. Also Edge and Larry needs a new look
5- Listening to new music and other influences, as they did in the 90s with electronica and other styles.
6- Writing songs for the album...not for singles.
7- Stop appearing at the cover of the album
8- Expanding Edge´s guitar sound and style far away from the classic Edge´s Joshua Tree guitars.
9- Writing lyrics non based on religion or personal things
10-Stop pretending to be "the biggest band in the world".

I think with that 10 rules U2 would be totally different

I'm not sure where, but it is around somewhere.. somebody posted one of the horrific Bono-Robin Williams mash ups. It was about 5 photos side by side showing the transition from one to the other (I'm sure many people know what I'm talking about). Anyway one of the pics was Bono's face with RW's hair. And whilst not perfect, it gave me an idea of what Bono of today would look like with short hair, and it was good.

ponkine said:
4- Cutting Bono´s hair and taking off sunglases and all that stuff. Also Edge and Larry needs a new look
5- Listening to new music and other influences, as they did in the 90s with electronica and other styles.
8- Expanding Edge´s guitar sound and style far away from the classic Edge´s Joshua Tree guitars.

#1: They don't bash Zooropa much from what I've heard, they just sort of neglect it, though this tour has seen the debut of THE FIRST TIME and U2 has also been rehearsing The Wanderer. As for Pop, yeah, maybe someday they'll realize it's the best album they've ever made :wink:
#2: It makes sense to praise their latest albums for promotion's sake, and as far as I'm concerned they are two damn good albums. I agree with Bono - HTDAAB is their best collection of songs to date (though I'll always like every song from Pop more :p), but it doesn't quite work as an album.
#3: Actually I think Eno and Lanois may be what U2 need right now...they tend to bring about changes in U2. These are the guys that did UF, AB, and ATYCLB, which were all major shifts in U2's career. Just...no more Lillywhite, please. And stick with the same producer(s) throughout the record, if possible.
#4: Agreed though I think their look is fine now, change would be nice.
#5: U2's always doing that.
#6: Agreed 100%. And I think they will.
#7: :scratch: how does this affect anything...?
#8: Stuck in a Moment, In a Little While, Love and Peace or Else, Fast Cars...not traditional Edge sound. Hopefully he'll continue to experiment like that. The return to a classic U2 sound was nice but it's time for some change.
#9: ...but that's what U2's done ever since Boy...? :scratch:
#10: Pretending? If U2 aren't the biggest band in the world, then who are?

Yes, with those 10 rules U2 would be different indeed. But how different do you want U2 to be?

ponkine said:

1. They don't bash Zooropa, ever. It's a god damn genius album.
2. I have no problem with them praising their latest work, they obviously believe in it when it's new (see #1, POP)
3. Fuck that. They work well with a handful of guys. The producers didn't determine the basic sound of Achtung or ATYCLB, U2 did. Give me Eno, Flood rather than wait for two years more.
4. Lose the shades, fucking insincere as could imagine, other than that I don't care about the images, I think the shades are an emabarassment to what Bono is trying to do.
5. I think they listen to new music, but don't get too cute or Larry will slap you. :wink:
6. Agree 1,000,000%
7. Don't give a fuck
8. Edge is not the problem
9. Content is not the problem, it's delivery.
10. Well, I'd rather they make a musical statement than a cultural statement.

They need to get on the same volume. They put Bono too damned loud and he needs to quit screaming. Sometimes the Edge is too loud, some times hes almost out of the picture drowned out by a cute sound effect. I hate that shit. Those cutesy violins and what is it?, a Glockenspiel? get that shit outta here. Give me something i can smoke a blunt and put the headphones on to. It can be up-tempo, but keep it smooth.

> Loose the cute lyrics and sounds
> Send me to that place that zooropa, pop, unforgettable fire and os1 send me to. Satisfy my imagination.
> Lose the shades, change the hair.
> utilize a more spacey, new discoteque sound from the edge. (he is from a distant planet you know)
> definitely make it about the whole, not the parts.
> Lose the family time lyrics.

Obey.

Bono simply needs to work harder at being U2's singer. His lyrics have suffered badly over the last couple albums, with a few exceptions (One Step Closer, When I Look at the World) .. thank god Edge is still a workaholic and dreams up new sounds.

I love Bono's activism, but I think it detracts from his time with the band.

The band should go back to songs about the intersections of love, sex, drugs, alcohol, heartache, religion, and glitz -- all the things that made AB and Zooropa so fun to listen to.

The shades are fine, though. Gotta love the Bulgaris and cowboy hat look.

An album full of songs in the same production quality as Wake Up Dead Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be the happiest I've ever been.

I love how people in here want the band to do something new, yet they follow that statement by saying they wish the band would go back to the themes of the 90's.....wouldn't that mean repeating yourself?

I understand the point of people in here. We want something new. We are getting something new with each album. Even the albums in the 90's had past references to the 80's. They were just better at disguising them.

One thing to consider too with the band is that they're better musicians now. In the past some of their liabilities would create what some of us would call unique sounds or music. Now they know how to write a song. Or to play a proper chord sequence. So we're getting a more structured song.

I think the direction they should go is to try and keep making the music they hear in their heads.

Image:

Yeah Bono kinda looks the same the last few yrs, but I'm sure it's all part of the idea that they decided to strip everything down in 2000 and make it all about the music. My favorite Bono look is Popmart. He looks great with that short hair. Right now Adam looks the best by miles, sans glasses and with that silver hair. Larry looks fukeen awful though.

Music:
Do they really need to reinvent right now? What about the three-album rule? They've got one more left with this same sound more or less. i think we're getting impatioent because they take so long in betwene albums now, and they aren't getting any younger.

The tour setup probably needs to change the next time around. Bring back the big-ass stadium shows. I wanna be one of 77,000 in Arrowhead again. No need for giant video boards or huge booms with little European cars twirling on the end. Make it huge, but make it about the music.

deltau922 said:
Image:

Right now Adam looks the best by miles, sans glasses and with that silver hair. Larry looks fukeen awful though.

Music:
Do they really need to reinvent right now? What about the three-album rule? They've got one more left with this same sound more or less. i think we're getting impatioent because they take so long in betwene albums now, and they aren't getting any younger.

Totally agraa, Adam looks the best by miles right now. Like a mature version of his Popmart self... Larry? ...the hair....jesus. makes him look so much older, and not in a good way.

3 album rule? ...I dont give it much credence anymore. Times have changed alot in the music business, especially since the 80's but also alot since the 90's. Peoples attention spans have become a fraction of what they were and im sure the band are all too aware of it. So they either release a quick-similar themed album in 2006 to bolster the tour extension, latest early 2007......OR...we're looking at a whole new sound and direction for the next album/phase. They DEFINITLY could not release a similar album in late 2007 or 2008, that would be almost a solid decade of 'pop-song U2' and thats too much....from Bono's RS comments, im sure they know this. Also, that would mean they'd be starting the next phase of their careers in their 50's, which I doubt is how they'd like to do it.

The whole system has just changed too much. They need to move with that.

How about a hippiedelic kaleidoscopic sound? I wonder if Edge can play a sitar...:drool:

Oh, and with this guy manning the boards:
rickrubin1.jpg

Last edited:
What could U2 do to top the Achtung Baby reinvention?
Save for The Edge composing the entire album on board the International Space Station, not much.
Since this has become a "band improvement" thread at heart, I'd say Edge should be taking over more singing and production duties. The band really needs someone to forge a new direction now that Bono is constantly off on his political wanking around half the time (not a derogatory remark).

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
Edge should be taking over more singing and production duties. The band really needs someone to forge a new direction now that Bono is constantly off on his political wanking around half the time (not a derogatory remark).

Absolutely.

And Adam and Larry can open up a fish n' chips shop to keep themselves busy until Edge's robot musicians malfunction and need to have their brain cores melted.

Canadiens1160 said:
Save for The Edge composing the entire album on board the International Space Station, not much.
Since this has become a "band improvement" thread at heart, I'd say Edge should be taking over more singing and production duties. The band really needs someone to forge a new direction now that Bono is constantly off on his political wanking around half the time (not a derogatory remark).

Is that not what i said in the first post? I swear its almost verbatim.

t8thgr8 said:

Is that not what i said in the first post? I swear its almost verbatim.
Well, I definetly want to see Edge produce and have even more direction of the material, and more singing parts.

However, Bono will always be the leader, the one everyone should think of first when they think of U2. For better or for worse Edge will always be in a secondary PR role compared to the Bman,.

Canadiens1160 said:
Well, I definetly want to see Edge produce and have even more direction of the material, and more singing parts.

However, Bono will always be the leader, the one everyone should think of first when they think of U2. For better or for worse Edge will always be in a secondary PR role compared to the Bman,.

Ok, but what if they changed it up and shocked the world. What would the mass reaction be? Try to wrap your head around the concept and think of the outcome. It's the most extreme change i think they could make that would actually work and set them apart from all bands before them.

This supposed tour ep in 2006, which appears quite possible, could afford to go out to left field a bit and try something like this. It doesnt necessarily have to be all edge all the time but think of the possibilities? Rock Zooropa, what? It could be somewhere around 9 or 10 songs. Edge singing lead on 6, Bono on 2 and a shared song or two. Edge is the media whore this time around. And he has been on his fair share of magazines lately.

Back
Top Bottom