What could U2 do on the next album to be deemed...adventurous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hitman

Acrobat
First of all, I would like to state that I am 25 years old and I became a U2 fan in 1993, after I heard 'One" on the radio and thought to myself..."that is the most amazing thing I have ever heard come out of that speaker." I then saw the video for 'Numb' on MTV and went to the mall with my mother to buy 'Zooropa.'

But, lately I have been reading about how ATYCLB was not adventurous enough, like their work was in the early to mid 90's. And while I agree to a certain extent, I began thinking...what can they do at this point that would be deemed adventurous?

They have already done the introductory christian introspective rock and roll thing (Boy and October)

They have already done the punk rock thing (War)

They have already done the ambient rock thing (UF)

They have already done the bluesy rock thing (JT)

They have already done the american country rock thing (R & H)

They have already done the european trash garage thing (AB)

They have already done the totally 'out there' electronic fucking up the mainstream thing (Zooropa, Passengers)

They have already done the dance thing (Pop)

Across all of the albums, they sprinkled what would be deemed "Classic U2 songs" that defied the labels of what they were currently working on, such as One, Stay, WOWY, Bad, Gone, Walk On, NYD and Desire.

But in all honesty, what could U2 do for their next album that would deemed 'experimental'? They are a rock band and they have done punk rock, bluesy rock, country rock, techno rock, dance rock and everything in between. Personally I would be happy if from here on out that made great U2 songs, and devoted their time in the studio to making great songs from the heart. Bruce Springsteen's newest album is not at all experimental, but it awesome because it is Bruce FROM THE HEART! Honestly, I would be happy if the rest of U2's albums were simply U2 from the heart, doing what they do best.

Hitman

bono should play drums
adam sings
edge plays bass
larry plays guitar

......and a guest appearance by celine dion.

:censored: :no: :p

1) don't listen to thier fans , they say shit , or same old tunes
2) follow thier hearts
3) DREAM OUT LOUD
4) make a Theatre show

I think for them to do something really adventurous I think they need to become political again. I'm not talking about Peace On Earth type of political, I'm talking about Sunday, Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, Seconds, Bullet The Blue Sky, Mothers Of The Dissapeared, kind of political. There is a lot going on now in this world, there is a lot on Bono's mind, hell, there is always a lot on Bono's mind. I think he could really channel that into some great songs, songs that could reach an audience and affect our way of thinking.

Oh, but how about personal dispair? That always makes for great content. Look at Achtung Baby. A lot has gone on in the life of Bono in the past few years, the loss of his father, the loss of other people that he idolized, I think that could make for some really introspective content.

What kind of sound would be needed to back all that up though? Could U2 make a hard sounding album, with songs that rivaled the intesity of The Fly, God Part II? I think they can pull it off without looking stupid.

I don't know. It's really hard to figure out where U2 will end up next.

david said:
I think for them to do something really adventurous I think they need to become political again. I'm not talking about Peace On Earth type of political, I'm talking about Sunday, Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, Seconds, Bullet The Blue Sky, Mothers Of The Dissapeared, kind of political. There is a lot going on now in this world, there is a lot on Bono's mind, hell, there is always a lot on Bono's mind. I think he could really channel that into some great songs, songs that could reach an audience and affect our way of thinking.

Oh, but how about personal dispair? That always makes for great content. Look at Achtung Baby. A lot has gone on in the life of Bono in the past few years, the loss of his father, the loss of other people that he idolized, I think that could make for some really introspective content.

What kind of sound would be needed to back all that up though? Could U2 make a hard sounding album, with songs that rivaled the intesity of The Fly, God Part II? I think they can pull it off without looking stupid.

I don't know. It's really hard to figure out where U2 will end up next.

This is a great post. :yes:

As you were.

I don't care about adventurous
and I mean "I just don't care"

if it is 'adventurous' (whatever that might be, judging by most people posts in this forum you would think 'adventurous' has more to do with the producer than with the band) then that's alright with me (as long as the songs are great) if it isn't adventurous then that's also alright with me (as long as the songs are great)

so I guess I agree with "Personally I would be happy if from here on out that made great U2 songs"

I've always figured they'd explore Irish music a little more.
Not like they'd be doing albums with the Chieftans, mind you. But just exploring their country's musical history in a way that only U2 could. You couldn't knock 'em for getting down to their OWN roots!

What they need to do is NOT THINK!

Dont try and be ANYTHING.

Just make music.

Without any pretense.

Dont' try and be popular.

Don't try and follow the fads.

U2 is 40+ years old.

They've done everything.

From now on, it should just be about the music.

how about a rock opera????
Actually. I would love to see U2 rough it up a bit and record an aggressive hard rock album. Kinda like a Who album!!!!! :yes:
It could be tied into Irish history and stuff of the sort. I think it would be cool!!!

Hard Rock

A hard Rock Album, that's what they have'nt done yet!!!
There's been flashes of the heavy stuff here and there...well actaully more than just flashes.
They just need to make an album similar to their live performances!! Without over-production, Brian Eno and the likes can take a back seat and let the boys do it all them selves this time!!!!

They should do something ala Manu Chao

He mixes a whole lot of different styles of music - Punk, Latin, Reggae, Folk, Rai and is also extermely. His music is incredible. Check out his newest live CD: Radio Bemba Sound System. Are there any U2 fans out there that are also Manu Chao fans?

Last edited:
deja vu

On the Elevation Tour, didn't Bono say something about Jazz Fusion.. no?

Polka?

:sexywink:

Whatever, I'm sure I'll love it, I trust them.

Hitman- nice post/summary though. :up:

Back
Top Bottom