What are your local DJs saying about "Vertigo"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
virgin radio in the uk said something along the lines of how it doesnt sound like guys who have been playing for 20 odd years, sounds like some angry young men

i think its a compliment!

I heard it on the way home yesterday & thought I was going to have to pull over and smoke a cigarette afterwards. Loved it!
The DJ on 100 the River said "here's what we've been waiting almost a whole year for--Vertigo! Then he said Bono wasn't going to put the reecord out til it was absolutely the best ever & he was right!" They are also premiering it on another station this morning announcing like every 10 minutes that it was coming up at 8 am. Loves it!!!!

There's a promotional kit on radio, for the people that phone at the time when Vertigo will play.
i'm waiting for Vertigo, to win the kit.!:D

I forgot to mention one of the DJs said "We're now just waiting for Bono to announce his Papal candidacy. If he does i'd definitely root for him. Can't have a more rockin man who does so much good in this world and still has time to rock us all."

I just called my local station to ask the DJ to play Vertigo...
He said he would as soon as he could find it....:eyebrow:
SO, I will stay tuned to hear what he has to say about it as soon as he finds it! (small town-what can I say?)

Heard it on the way in to work this morning on 92.9 Dave FM in Atlanta. DJ Barnes said they'd be playing it every hour. Funny -- he said "If you don't like it... too bad!" He also made mention of the classic U2 guitar sound.

Man, it smokes!

ThatGuy said:

it's actually the same first 2 chords, but then it's different chord progression.
not the same.

Last edited:
ThatGuy said:

Actually the Edge's guitar during the chorus is reminiscent of "You Keep Me Hanging On" by Diana Ross and the Supremes. Seriously.

Reminiscent is not the same thing as stealing, which is what was implied by the above post.

Also, most songs are "reminiscent" of another song in some capacity.

My ears hear none of the Supremes in "Vertigo", but if Edge was inspired by anyone, may as well be by a great classic. :yes:

I haven't heard it myself because I rarely listen to commercial radio and I can just listen on my computer, but my boyfriend told me he heard it about 4 times in one hour yesterday on different radio stations (that's Montreal, Canada).

Then he called one of them to request a Bruce Springsteen song (what can I say, he's a big fan...), and the DJ said he would not play it, but then asked him "But can I use your voice?" My boyfriend was like"Yeah, sure." And then the DJ told him to ask for the new U2 song and my boyfriend went live requesting Vertigo and then they played it again!

WFNX in Boston plays their top 5 requested songs every night. Last night, the DJ played vertigo 5 times in a row. After that a caller called up and yelled "I want to hear it again," and he played it a 6th time.

I'd say it's going over well here.

This from my brother:

Hey, the SECOND I hopped into the RAV4 this morning, I turn it on and pull
out of the garage and the Planet says "This is the new one from U2, you
haven't heard it, it's called Vertigo."

It was funny, after the song was over, they went to the lady that does
traffic, and she just starts by saying "Wow.....................that's the
best I've heard them sound in a long time."

u2ulysses said:

Reminiscent is not the same thing as stealing, which is what was implied by the above post.

Also, most songs are "reminiscent" of another song in some capacity.

My ears hear none of the Supremes in "Vertigo", but if Edge was inspired by anyone, may as well be by a great classic. :yes:

I agree, for the most part. I was just responding to the comment that there was no way Vertigo was anything like a song by Diana Ross and the Supremes. That's clearly not true. Nor, as beli said, is there anything wrong with it.

And actually, Edge owes more to the Funk Brothers than he does to the Supremes. :wink:

Last edited:
the DJ hear in Columbia, SC said at the end:

"this song is best played LOUD!!" "It's an awesome song"

also he commented that they band had been in Spain recently recording their video for the song. He said "the video is awesome too". I guess he got to see it

the mad hatter said:
I just called my local station to ask the DJ to play Vertigo...
He said he would as soon as he could find it....:eyebrow:
SO, I will stay tuned to hear what he has to say about it as soon as he finds it! (small town-what can I say?)

Just e-mail him the U2Valencia MP3! :laugh:

The idiots on our local morning show (Alice 97.3 in San Francisco) played it this morning and thought it didn't sound that great. They kept calling Bono, 'boner' and said it sounded like bad garage rock (among other stupid comments).

I so want to smack them (that's what I get for switching to this station to see if they were playing the single, should have stuck with Howard Stern).

Bratty cat that is so typical!! Alice always rips on everyone, they piss me off!! Im glad I didnt hear it this morning!
I was listening to 104.5 and I heard them play it this morning on my way to work, they said something like "Its a new song but it sounds like the old Boy era U2 coming back!" They talked well about it last night as well.:up:

U2SJ, I wish I hadn't heard it either.

I don't mind the station's music (most of the time) but their on-air 'talent' sucks. I forgot to mention that of the 6 or so calls they took for feedback, only 1 caller liked it.

But then can you expect from fans of their morning show?

Bunch of idiots :rant:

Just like the Boston radio station, STAR 98.7 in LA played it 5 times in a row for their top 5 at 7PM. It was awsome.

Edmonton, Alberta's 100.3 The Bear has been playing it lots. The DJ said that they are getting flooded with requests to play the song.

The first two chords of Vertigo's melody and the Supremes song are different. C-A# for YKMHO and E-D for Vertigo.
Defintely different.

And it was written by Holland/Dozier/Holland so let's stop acting like anyone is stealing anything from the Supremes, I'm not sure they wrote a single song they ever performed.

Inner El Guapo said:
The first two chords of Vertigo's melody and the Supremes song are different. C-A# for YKMHO and E-D for Vertigo.
Defintely different.

And it was written by Holland/Dozier/Holland so let's stop acting like anyone is stealing anything from the Supremes, I'm not sure they wrote a single song they ever performed.

For some, being reactionary is their El Guapo ... :wink:

I wasn't accusing Edge of stealing anything. It's not my fault there are some similarities. Same way there are similarities between Beautiful Day and The Buggles' Video Killed the Radio Star. Stuff like that happens all the time in music. I would be able to give a plethora or other instances where this occured. Do I like George Harrison's My Sweet Lord less because it's the same melody as another song? No. Is Edge any less brilliant of a guitarist because of the similarities that have been pointed out? No.

I don't normally listen to the radio at work but today I decided to just so I could hear Vertigo. I didn't want to listen to my copy though because then I just hit repeat over and over.

Edge 102.1 in Toronto is playing it once an hour. The DJ's all seem to really like it.

When they played it the first time (yesterday around 3:30pm) they were in the middle of playing the Killers, stopped it and put on Vertigo. I thought it was pretty cool.

You're all so lucky to have it on your radio :( My good U2 station that did so much good promoting ATYCLB, and that always played U2 album tracks as part of their format, went country last year :sad: Now I don't know what station would have it, all we now are country, hiphop/rap, classic rock, and top 40. The top 40 might have it but who wants to listen to all the crap to wait for it? I'm hoping maybe the hipster modern rock one will play it. I miss the good station! :scream:

U2Kitten said:
You're all so lucky to have it on your radio :( My good U2 station that did so much good promoting ATYCLB, and that always played U2 album tracks as part of their format, went country last year :sad: Now I don't know what station would have it, all we now are country, hiphop/rap, classic rock, and top 40. The top 40 might have it but who wants to listen to all the crap to wait for it? I'm hoping maybe the hipster modern rock one will play it. I miss the good station! :scream:

I feel you pain. The station that played the ATYCLB songs in my area went R&B recently, which is fine - I like R&B - but it's not very likely they are going to play Vertigo.

The alternative rock station has played it a few times, but I never really listen to that station :reject: Of the two top 40 stations, one really leans toward more hip-hop and the other is more on the "lite rock" side :sigh: I posted the radio station request links, so maybe that will help a little :reject:

Last edited:
Its getting a lot of play here in the Bay Area. My boyfriend just called me and left me a voicemail with Vertigo blaring in the background! He then said that they are all over the airwaves and he has heard it 3 times today alone on different stations :happy:

I can barely bring myself to stop playing the CD in the car, but sometimes I force myself to see if I hear it on the radio. So far, nothing.

Anyone in CT heard it, and if so, on which station(s)?

I'm trying 95.1, 99.1, 106.9.

Commercial radio is a barren wasteland... *ugh*

Back
Top Bottom